PDA

View Full Version : Hinduism and 2012

Equinox
14 August 2012, 12:31 PM
Vannakkam

Most of us are already familiar with the numerous theories and rumours being discovered (or created) about the world ending on 21st December 2012. This has been going on for some years now. They all sound quite ridiculous, especially the sudden discovery that Planet X or some Planet Nibiru is already very close to Earth.

Sounds scary but no one in their right minds would believe that all life on this planet will cease to exist in 4 months time. :rolleyes:

I for one would never believe that. :D

I'm aware that different religions and cultures have different theories about the world ending. The 21st December 2012 is the Mayan one, since their calendar supposedly stops at that date, but some believe it's only the ending of an old cycle and the beginning of a new one. Christian theories state that Doomsday is near, and some would like to believe it's on 2012 after all. My Muslim friend told me that the world will end in 65 years, beginning with the recent unrest in the Middle East, which is supposed to be some sort of sign.

When my friends and I discuss on this topic, I always give them the general Hindu theory, stating that we are only in the beginning of Kali Yuga, which started 5,000 years ago, leaving us with 427,000 more years to go. My other Hindu friends then stare wide-eyed at me, having no idea that Hinduism has its own cycle of eras. Most Hindus my age would prefer jumping on the 2012 bandwagon.

I understand that there are some lesser-known Hindu theories too. For example, some scholars say that Kali Yuga just ended, and others say that Kali Yuga lasts for only 1,200 years, instead of 432,000, which means we're supposed to be in Dvapara Yuga now.

There's also supposed to be a Golden Era in this Kali Yuga, which lasts for some 10,000 years, and some say that it corresponds with the Mayan 2012 theory. This means that the aforementioned Golden Era is supposed to begin once the world is destroyed at the end of 2012.

Those are the points I know of in Hinduism. Are there any other facts in this religion which either support or disapprove of the '2012 end-of-the-world theory'? To be specific, what does Hinduism say about the end of the world, and when would that likely be?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Omkara
14 August 2012, 12:44 PM
See my thread 'lord krishna predicts a new dharmic golden age' in the scriptures section.

dhyandev
14 August 2012, 12:56 PM
every 31 december (gregory)calender ends,does that mean doomsday because there is no date in the calender?
Analogous, Spanish finished off mayans.If they had survived they would have renewed there calender!:logic:

Equinox
14 August 2012, 01:06 PM
Vannakkam

every 31 december (gregory)calender ends,does that mean doomsday because there is no date in the calender?
Analogous, Spanish finished off mayans.If they had survived they would have renewed there calender!:logic:

Well, that's something most of us here would have already known, isn't it? I'm asking about the Hindu perspective of the world ending.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
14 August 2012, 01:19 PM
Vannakkam Equinox: I've never found a lot of information on it. Hindus seem to be able to just go along, not worrying much. The Self for most should become before the end of this planet. Just because this planet ends doesn't mean the universe does.

My personal view is that some day, maybe a million or so years from now, this planet will no longer be inhabitable, and we (whatever 'we' means by then) will have to migrate or move to another suitable planet. So I certainly don't believe in a doomsday scenario at all.

It's kind of another one of those hypotheticals ... how would knowing, even if you could know, make you a better person, or lead a jiva further towards God?

Aum Namasivaya

Equinox
14 August 2012, 01:59 PM
Vannakkam Eastern Mind,

My personal view is that some day, maybe a million or so years from now, this planet will no longer be inhabitable, and we (whatever 'we' means by then) will have to migrate or move to another suitable planet.

This is very likely. The sharp increase in the rate of pollution in the last few decades have been much higher than any other time on Earth, and although steps are being taken to conserve and preserve Mother Nature, it doesn't convince me that all will go back to normal. Global warming has made the environment much hotter than before. I don't see an end to Earth anytime soon, maybe only in millions or billions of years to come. Scientists have all the facts to disapprove its ending in the near future, and that means millions of years more, before the Sun engulfs Earth on its way to becoming a white dwarf. But many species would become extinct by then. And the word human would mean some other thing altogether.

As for migrating to another planet, I'd say testing and research is being done on Mars already, and research on other planets are on its way. But unless we travel in a superfast spacecraft (travelling at the speed of light), or freeze ourselves in some way, we would never be able to reach another planet alive, given the distance between the planets, and our average lifespan.

how would knowing, even if you could know, make you a better person, or lead a jiva further towards God?

It would hardly make any difference, and I'd rather not know myself. Such knowledge would only confuse a jiva.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
14 August 2012, 02:05 PM
As for migrating to another planet,

Vannakkam: But 'we' could mean the last remaining jivas here, not physical bodies at all. Still, at the rate of technological increase, even the physical part seems quite likely to me. Would Galileo have envisioned our exploration of Mars?

Aum Namasivaya

Equinox
15 August 2012, 10:02 AM
Vannakkam Eastern Mind,

But 'we' could mean the last remaining jivas here, not physical bodies at all.

Ah yes. That's very interesting. The last remaining jivas here could be in any form by then. What would our physical bodies look like, would we even have one?

at the rate of technological increase, even the physical part seems quite likely to me.

Eventually, I'm sure there'd be a way. Another suggestion would be having large human populations in a spacecraft, who live and reproduce for a few generations till they reach Mars, which means only the later generations born in the spacecraft get to live there. This would only be if Earth should end suddenly.

Would Galileo have envisioned our exploration of Mars?

He might have, given his depth of intuition and knowledge.

Aum Namah Shivaya