PDA

View Full Version : Question!

BlueJayWay
14 August 2012, 03:47 PM
Can someone simply describe the main lessons contained in the Gita?

Thank you for all your advice!

:)

McKitty
14 August 2012, 04:31 PM
Vanakkam,

Are you so lazy to just read it ? ;)

Aum Namah Shivaya

yajvan
14 August 2012, 07:45 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Can someone simply describe the main lessons contained in the Gita? Thank you for all your advice!

Your question has merit... it suggests that reading does not insure comprehension. Each chapter has a golden nugget to offer the reader... it is this we can ferret out and review. So , I think we can address some of your questions as you pose them.

Let me recommend that you take some time and read the bhāgavad gītā sections found here on HDF. Also, if I may, I suggest you read just the first 6 chapters of the bhāgavad gītā - this will set the stage for a meaningful dialog that allows us to take the conversation further.

praṇām

BlueJayWay
14 August 2012, 10:05 PM
I've read the Bhagavad Gita and there are lessons that I've taken away by myself.

Such as, probably one of the broadest is to have complete faith in Krishna and dedicate your life to percieving the Lord, he will always be within you.
I hope that makes sense, it's hard to type out something so inate.

As to my original question : I was just wondering if their was a standard set of lessons or if it was based more on individual interpretation. I guess I could have formed my question more efficiently, my apologies.

Ganeshprasad
15 August 2012, 05:30 AM
Pranam

Such as, probably one of the broadest is to have complete faith in Krishna and dedicate your life to percieving the Lord, he will always be within you.
I hope that makes sense, it's hard to type out something so .

That is a good understanding, which not too far from the conclusion of Sanjaya, he says with conviction, where ever there is Krishna, the choice of his words are important here, Yogesvarah the lord of all yoga and supream archer Arjuna (both adjective to names are important to understand), then there will be Prosperity, victory, happiness and morality.

Jai Shree Krishna

yajvan
15 August 2012, 11:07 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Yes, this is true. Yet this faith has a firm foundation to rest upon...
I can think of 5 key pillars that stand on this foundation, that makes one firm in one's beliefs. Let me offer one:
If we look to chapter 2, 12th śloka of the bhāgavad gītā, kṛṣṇa-jī informs us ( via arjuna),
there never was a time when I was not, nor you, nor these rulers
of men. Nor will there ever be a time when all of us shall cease to be.

This tells us without doubt of our true nature. We are not this fleeting body that crumbles, that comes and goes, but are more substantial.
We, by our core nature are akṣara - imperishable. Our body may come and go yet we are akṣaya, exempt from decay. Any impurity ( āṇava) is really not our real Self.

Now, the bhāgavad gītā goes on to explain how one comes to realize this... how to become who we really are.

This is why kṛṣṇa-jī is such an excellent teacher:

He is what He teaches
He offers us a vision of who we really are
He offers us the knowledge to unfold one's potential
He allows us to choosepraṇām

BlueJayWay
15 August 2012, 04:20 PM
With your responses I feel like I am on the right route of understanding. I'm sure after a few more reads more will be revealed, I'll have a better grasp of the texts.

there never was a time when I was not, nor you, nor these rulers
of men. Nor will there ever be a time when all of us shall cease to be.

This is one of my of my favorite quotations from the Gita. :)