PDA

View Full Version : NavDurga, why ?

McKitty
14 August 2012, 07:00 PM
Vanakkam everyone !

Sorry for not being very active, I'm currently in the US for summer work, and I don't have many time to spend <___<"

Hm, I wanted to ask question about Maa Durga and Her nine forms...Well, if each of these forms IS a minor part of the power of the Godess, why so many Durgas instead of One ?

This may be a very stupid question I agree...Yet I can't help but wonder why.

One day I came across a story related to Maa Durga, I can't remember the name or the details of this story, forgive me, if you have any link or information regarding this, it would be welcome !
Basically the story was when the earth was apparently dying. People were starving and prayer for Maa Durga for food. She appeared and created a Godess from Her to feed the people. People asked for water, She created another Godess to make the rain...

So, in this story, the Godesses created are all a part of, and of the powers of Maa Durga Herself. But why did She had to do that ? For exemple to make the water and the food abunding, She could have done it in all Her glorious form...So why depicting so much aspects of the same Godess ?

Aum Namah Shivaya
Jai Maa Durga !

JaiMaaDurga
16 August 2012, 07:08 AM
Namaste McKitty,

You are thinking of Maa Shakambari and Maa Shatakshi-
here (http://shakambarimaa.blogspot.com/) is a link that addresses the stories you speak of, and should help you
to begin understanding why Devi has many forms and names... after a more
basic ground for understanding this has been achieved, then looking into
the more detailed aspects of why the number 9 is significant, etc. should
be considered...

It must be mentioned that Devi in the form of Maa Annapurna never turns
away the hungry, and it was mindfulness of Her example that prevented
my reply consisting of

Are you so lazy to just research it ? ;):cool1:...

JAI MATA DI

Eastern Mind
16 August 2012, 07:23 AM
Vanakkam everyone !

Sorry for not being very active, I'm currently in the US for summer work, and I don't have many time to spend <___<"

Vannakkam: Where are you? There should be some decent temples around somewhere close.

Aum Namasivaya

McKitty
16 August 2012, 11:20 AM
Vanakkam,

Thank you for the link JaiMaaDurga ! Well, I wasn't lazy, I just had no name, no idea of the name of the story, nothing to search for D: I checked google without results unfortunately, so I decided to ask here if someone could answer or even just enlighten me about the story and the names of the Godesses so I can search by myself !
I never though about the symbolism of 9 ! I'll look on that too !
Thank you very much for your answer ;)

Eastern Mind: I'm currently in Seattle ! :D If anyone is near the area, we can go together if any want!

Aum Namah Shivaya

JaiMaaDurga
17 August 2012, 05:35 AM
Namaste McKitty,

You are most welcome-
I am glad you found the link helpful, and are inspired to learn more :)

The question on being lazy was a paraphrase of your own reply
to BlueJayWay's question about the meaning of the Gita;)

JAI MATA DI

McKitty
19 August 2012, 09:33 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you very much JaiMaaDurga, Durga Maa is such a wonderful Devi, I have a book always with me, there is many hymns and her Glories, but there is no mention of this story and those Devi =O

Don t worry I knew you were meaning that x3 I just didn t wanted you to really believe that I was a very lazy person :D

Thank you again, Jai Maa Durga !

Aum Namah Shivaya

ShivaFan
19 August 2012, 10:46 PM
Namaste

Temples in Seattle Washington:

HINDU TEMPLE & CULTURAL CENTER, 3818 212TH ST SE, BOTHELL WA 98021 (425) 483-7115 Greater Seattle area. We are open 8AM-1PM (New Timings) (Priest services till 11AM) and 6:30PM-8:30PM on weekdays and 10AM-8:30PM on weekends. Mix denomination, ten murthis, South Influence

ISKCON 1420, 228th Ave SE, Sammamish, WA 98075 Ph 425-391-3293 Hare Krishna HG Hari Vilas Das (425) 246 8436
Nanda Suta Das (206) 992 7598

Sanatana Dharma Temple 19826 SE 232 ST, Maple Valley, WA 98038 Phone: (425) 413-8900 Hanuman, Lakshmi, Shiva Lingam, mix denomination, North influence

Sanatana Dharma Temple 14320 NE 21st Street, Suite 16
(close to the intersection of I-405 and WA 520) Bellevue, WA 98007 See above same organization

Sri Venkateshwara Temple 18109 NE 76th St. Suite 108, Redmond, WA 98052 Phone 425-367-4532 Temple Hours M-F: 8.30am - 10.30am, 6pm-8pm; Sat/Sun:10am - 1pm, 6pm-8pm Venkateswar, Hanuman, Pancha Mookhaa Hanuman, Subramanya, Narasingha

OTHER...
Jain Society of Seattle ( Meets at Hindu Temple and Cultural Center)3818 212th St SE, Bothell WA 98021 (425) 483-7115

Om Namah Sivaya

McKitty
19 August 2012, 10:52 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you very much Shivafan ! A while ago I asked about temples and Seattle and was given a link listing them, but it was apparently old and many links were outdated or didn't worked...

I will look again with what you said

Thank you so much for taking the time to list this, really !

Is anyone near Seattle or been to one of these temples ? Apparently not, but I ask just in case !

Thank you again :)

Aum Namah Shivaya

ShivaFan
20 August 2012, 12:12 AM
Namaste

I do not know the answer to your question, because there are many answers just as there are many manifestations of Mother. But one answer has to do with giving a devotee the privilege to do a pilgrimage to tirthas and to find moksha in the way of Bhakti. For example you could do prilgimage to nine temples or tirthas to Durga.

This is of course difficult Yatra (pilgrimage). But there is an easy way to do a Nav Durga Yatra. Please go to Kashi Varanasi. Then go see with your eyes these nine Gauri temples... You will obtain unimaginable benefit if you love Devi. You can obtain Moksha.

Mukhnirmalika Gauri
Mukhnirmalika Gauri is located at K.3/42, Hanumanji temple at Gai Ghat.  Devotees can travel upto Gaighat area behind Machhodari by rickshaw and walk to this place on  foot, by asking for directions.  Alternatively, they can take a boat ride upto Gai Ghat and climb the steps. Devotees who worship Mukhnirmalika Gauri will obtain happiness and prosperity in life.

Mangla Gauri
This Murthi was established by Lord Surya as instructed by Shiva.
Unmarried girls will soon find a suitable match if Devi Mangla Gauri is visited. She is also associated with Sun Beams or Rays that give a very special benediction. Mangala Gauri is located at K-24/34, Panchganga Ghat.  Devotees can travel upto Bhaironath by auto or cycle rickshaw and walk upto this place.  Mangala Gauri temple is a famous landmark. Alternatively, they can take a boat ride upto Panchganga Ghat and reach this temple through Ghats.

Lalita Gauri
Wealth and prosperity are yours as this Devi awaits you. But there is much more. Lalita Gauri is present at Ck.1/67, Lalita Ghat. If one desires to walk on foot, he will have to travel upto Dasaswamedh by rickshaw and walk through the Ghats upto Lalita Ghat and climb the steps.  If the devotee is already in the Gullies in the vicinity, Nepali Pasupati Mandir is an important landmark.

Vishalakshi Gauri
This is a Shakti Peeth. It is One of the Three, Kanchi Kamakshi, Madurai Meenakshi and Kashi Vishalakshi. Adi Visalakshi ki jai! Devotees can find Vishalakshi temple at D.3/85, Mir Ghat. They can travel upto Dasaswamedh Vishwanath Gulli or Bansphatak Vishwanath Gulli by rickshaw and walk on foot to this place.  Devotees generally combine prayers at this temple alongwith darshan of Visweshwar / Annapurna temple.

Mahalakshmi Gauri
This is a Shakti Peeth. Devotees who worship Mahalakshmi will attain Siddhis. Mahalakshmi is located at D.52/40, Lakshmi Kund. This temple and the locality (Lakshmi Kund) are quite famous and people can approach this place through Luxa by rickshaw.

Jyeshta Gauri
The girl who may be most unfortunate and comes to Jyeshta Gauri will become Most Fortunate indeed. She is located at K-63/24, Sapt Sagar Mohalla. The temple is approachable from a famous locality called Maidagin.  People can approach Maidagin by Auto or Cycle Rickshaw or even car.  From Maidagin it is advisable to walk on foot. A famous landmark near this temple is the Kashi Devi Temple

Saubhagya Gauri
Happiness and prosperity are yours. Sowbhagya Gauri is located at Ck.38/8, Adi Vishwanath Temple.  If a devotee travels from Bansphatak to Chowk, after crossing flower market (on the left side), there is a flight of steps leading to a fairly big ground and Shiva temple.  On the right side of the ground (north side), the devotee will find Sowbhagya Gauri.

Sringaar Gauri
Gauri is located behind Gyanvapi Masjid (mosque) and Darshan is allowed only on two days in an year. However, devotees worship this deity in Vishwanath (Visweshwar) temple premises marked as Annapurna Devi.  Kindly refer Visveshwar temple regarding directions to reach the place. Happiness is yours very easily.

Bhavani Gauri
Bhavani Gauri is located at D.8/38, Ram Mandir annexed to the premises of Annapurna Devi. The deity is located between Kali Devi and Jagannath. Regarding directions to reach this place, kindly refer to Visweshwar temple. Rest and peace is yours.

Have you heard of the Nav Durga Yantra? You may have but just in case, the Markandeya Puran contains information on the mystic power of it.

Om Aing Hring Kling Chaamundaayai Vichchai

McKitty
20 August 2012, 09:23 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you so much Shivafan ! I know pilgrimage must be very difficult, but I intend to do at last one in my life. Being born in a non-hindu family, and not living in India, I humbly go on the path of Bhakti. It may be for my life, or just for now, who can say? I'm still young !

Having Darshan of Devi on those places must be so wonderful, but I'm wondering, my heart belonging to Lord Shiva. But who see Shiva see Devi, who see Devi see Shiva, there's no difference, just a play !

I'll keep those informations preciously !

Unfortunately, after locating the temples at Seattle you gave me, it seems they are really too far away from where I am...Each temple is like, one to two hours of public transportation, and I can't skip class to go there...And I don't have a car too. Well, I live with a very kind Iranian man for the month now, and he have a car, but I can't ask him to bring me there as he is very tired each time he come back to work....So, I guess I'll have to wait.

The same day I come back to France, it's Ganesha's festival in Paris ! It's a really, really, really big festival and the streets got very crowded as everyone want to see the murthi, I'll try to be there and be a part of it !

I don't know about the NavDurga Yantra, isn't Tantra ? I'm not looking for any siddhi or fulfillement of material desire, in fact I never pray for those...But if it can bring more knowledge and bhakti, and if it's okay to look at it without a guru, then I'll look for it.

Thank again for all those informations ! This is very wonderful, you are very kind persons !

Aum Namah Shivaya

Jai Maa Durga !

JaiMaaDurga
22 August 2012, 11:03 PM
Namaste McKitty,

In addition to Shivafan's generous replies, here (http://www.freewebs.com/jaidurga/informationonmataji.htm) is another resource
in English about Devi for you... may She bless your efforts to cross
the ocean of illusion!

JAI MATA DI

McKitty
23 August 2012, 03:50 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you for the website, it really helped me !

So I understand about the NavDurga...But about the ten Mahavidhyas ? So, They are aspects of Devi too, but they seems much darker and deeper than the NavDurga ! It's like two side of a coin, one Shanti, one a little more Ugra...Tell me if I am wrong !

Also, I feel that the worship of the ten Mahavidhyas is more Tantra than Shakta...Mataji frighten me on these forms ^^"

I am gonna read the Markandeya purana to know more about the NavDurga. I feel like I can understand and worship Mataji better if I know more about Her.

Is it possible to worship each NavDurga ? Or just worship of Durga Maa cover every other ?

I'm still learning and thinking very hard to try to figure out the role and the forms of Shiva and Shakti around us, in our daily life and in the universe... I really feel this is an essential principle and a real presence, but it's difficult to get...It's like trying to catch a butterfly.

I know maybe a Bhakta of Shiva shouldn't wonder this or ask those questions, but I really feel something is missing where I think of Shiva and worship Him without Mataji ! I don't know how to explain this...But this is disturbing in a way, that's why I humbly turn to you and Durga Maa to learn more.

You gave me great knowledge, I have to study that ! Thank you so much for this blessing !

Aum Namah Shivaya

JaiMaaDurga
24 August 2012, 01:48 PM
Namaste McKitty,

I would not be serving Devi properly, if I did not at least
attempt in my clumsy fashion to help those who wish to learn
more about Her... also, to my understanding, perhaps
a Lingayati (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingayatism) might have issues with the feelings of incompleteness
you describe, but many Shaivas I have known at least consider Devi
as Lord Shiva's greatest devotee- and I am sure you are at least
a little familiar with "Shiva is the water, Shakti is the wave", etc.

As to your other questions, it is my opinion that the key would be
the comparison to catching a butterfly... for now, try sitting still
in the midst of the field, surrounded by flowers... watch the butterfly
drink from them... and before you expect it, the butterfly will alight
upon you ;)

Even the most carefully constructed nets will bruise their wings...
and will not answer the question "What will you do with this butterfly,
once it has been caught?"

JAI MATA DI

Viraja
24 August 2012, 03:06 PM
Vanakkam,

But about the ten Mahavidhyas ? So, They are aspects of Devi too, but they seems much darker and deeper than the NavDurga ! It's like two side of a coin, one Shanti, one a little more Ugra...Tell me if I am wrong !

Also, I feel that the worship of the ten Mahavidhyas is more Tantra than Shakta...Mataji frighten me on these forms ^^"

McKitty,

MahaVidyas worship I think are more frequently asked by scholarly Jyotishis to people suffering from deep curses of planets as indicated by the horoscope.

One good place to ask about Mahavidyas might be groups.yahoo.com/group/vedic-wisdom. (This group contains some already existing information about mahavidyas).

Seeker123
24 August 2012, 03:24 PM
Namaste McKitty,

Try to visit Chinmaya Seattle if possible

http://www.chinmayaseattle.org/about/ChinmayaSeattle.aspx

They have a great book on various Hindu Gods and symbolism. Have a copy plan to read.

McKitty
24 August 2012, 07:45 PM
Vanakkam,

but many Shaivas I have known at least consider Devi
as Lord Shiva's greatest devotee- and I am sure you are at least
a little familiar with "Shiva is the water, Shakti is the wave", etc.

Well that IS the thing with me ! The more I think about it, the more I see Devi greatest than Shiva...Let me explain, I don't like to go blind on saying this is the greatest, this is the highest...I try to think about how can be the relationship between Devi and Shiva.
Shiva is the water, the pillar, the base of everything. I see him like the potential power. Therefore if I see the infinite Brahman like a pillar, that have no beginning and no end, I see Devi like the universe.

Devi is the active power, She is what moves everything around us...I see a bubble forming around a part of the pillar: this is Shakti, the Universe, that is spreading from the pillar. The Atma goes from the pillar, to Devi, they dwell in Her Mâya, in Her universe, and when they attain Moksha they go back to the pillar, into the stillness. Otherwise, they continue to dwell in the Universe, in Devi.

In times of dissolution, the bubble retract to the pillar, it becomes the full Shiv-Shakti. Then on another creation the bubble expand again, retract again, expand...Forever.

This is how I tried to figure out everything...I know this must be false or foolish, but I hope I didn't say only stupidity here ^^"

Seeing the universe like this...I realize that in the universe then, Devi is "closer". She create, sustain the world, Her Mâya is all around us ! I am puzzled sorry...I cannot really express this with words, I just feel that it's something really really great...

I do not belong to any sect or belief...I am more focused of acquiring knowledge to go on the path. Shiva came to me, I just follow Him. And I feel that He led me to meet Devi.

I don't know if how I see the Shiva-Shakti principle is right ^^" Maybe I'm completely off track

As to your other questions, it is my opinion that the key would be
the comparison to catching a butterfly... for now, try sitting still
in the midst of the field, surrounded by flowers... watch the butterfly
drink from them... and before you expect it, the butterfly will alight
upon you ;)

Even the most carefully constructed nets will bruise their wings...
and will not answer the question "What will you do with this butterfly,
once it has been caught?"

JAI MATA DI

Oh...This is completely right ! :cool1: Why didn't I though of this ? Okay, I blame my impatient youth !
I do no expect the butterfly to just land like this...Oh yes, it will take all my life for Him to come maybe.

What will I do with the butterfly... I don't really know for now. Maybe it's like the saying I saw in a game, was I dreaming about the butterfly, or was the butterfly dreaming about me ?

Anyway I have to stay still then. :D

@Aspirant, Seeker,

Thank you very much for your links and advices ! I didn't knew they were related to Jyotishya...In fact I don't really know much about Jyotish for now...
As for the Chinnmasta mission, I'll try to go there...Unfortunately I leave next week and school have a busy schedule :( I cannot miss class, I have a presentation about my game to make

Thank you so much for your help, Really !

Aum Namah Shivaya