PDA

View Full Version : Shaivite Library

Omkara
17 August 2012, 11:07 AM
Hi......

Due to the general lack of information or study resources pertaining to shaivism on the internet, as compared to Vaishnavism or Advaita, I have been putting together a collection of ebooks on Shaivism I have found on the Internet.It's not complete yet , but currently there are 113 files(all pdf),total 316 mb.Any idea how i could go about sharing this with other Shaivas on HDF and make it available for public download?
Thanks.

wundermonk
17 August 2012, 01:18 PM
That would be a treasure trove!

May I suggest that you can get in touch with the folks over at sanskritdocuments.org? Perhaps they have the webspace already available to host your documents.

They have a nice collection of Sanskrit works here (http://sanskritdocuments.org/scannedbooks/asiallpdfs.html).

Twilightdance
17 August 2012, 02:48 PM
Due to the general lack of information or study resources pertaining to shaivism on the internet, as compared to Vaishnavism or Advaita, I have been putting together a collection of ebooks on Shaivism I have found on the Internet.

huh? but more than contradiction, i don't believe what you are saying is correct. on contrary shaivism is most easily available thing about hinduism on the net due larger academic interest it has seen over the last few decades.

It's not complete yet , but currently there are 113 files(all pdf),total 316 mb.Any idea how i could go about sharing this with other Shaivas on HDF and make it available for public download?
Thanks.

that size can be shared even over social networks, apart from file hosting sites including google docs. you can also create a blog and attach files in posts....sort of long winded perhaps.

IcyCosmic
17 August 2012, 02:48 PM
Omk. I can help you setup a standalone website for the library also if you'd like. You can have the download hosted on your own server or other file sharing websites, or P2P clients.

satay
17 August 2012, 03:01 PM
namaste,
HDF has its own library at http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4544.

I can place your pdfs on the server and provide a link to download them from a directory on the server.

But as others have suggested there are better places to put these files on the Internet.

Omkara
17 August 2012, 04:06 PM
Twillight dance,I am not talking about only academic articles on kashmir shaivism and tantra ,but a comprehensive collection,like the ISKCONites have.I am talking about ebooks on the internet rather than printed works.I want it to cover all sects of shaivism.It includes translations of the verses of the nayanars,academic articles on the history of shaivism,books summarizing the shaivite puranic stories,arricles on the philisophy and theology of all sects of shaivism except the pashupatas and veerashaivas,on whom I have found nothing at all.
I have gone through the hdf library and it is excellent,but most of the books I have are not up here.Some of the books I have seem to be under copyright,for eg.Kashmir Shaivism -The Secret Supreme.Will I be breaking copyright law if I post links to places where they are aldready posted? I would prefer to avoid putting them up myself.

Thanks.

Sahasranama
17 August 2012, 04:21 PM
You can upload them here: http://www.scribd.com/

Omkara
17 August 2012, 04:30 PM
Yes,It will probably be scribd.

philosoraptor
17 August 2012, 04:38 PM
Can you download pdfs via scribd? If not, then I think Sanskritdocuments.org would be a better idea. There are other websites out there too which keep their own archives.

I'd like to get my hands on some of these.

Sahasranama
17 August 2012, 04:50 PM
Can you download pdfs via scribd? If not, then I think Sanskritdocuments.org would be a better idea. There are other websites out there too which keep their own archives.

I'd like to get my hands on some of these.
Yes, you can download anything after uploading a few items yourself.

I have done some encoding for Sanskrit documents a decade ago and they do not upload documents that have copyright.

Omkara
18 August 2012, 02:57 AM
I will post the files on scribd and google docs probably 2 weeks from now.

A very good link - www.siddhantadeepika.blogspot.com

Omkara
19 August 2012, 10:26 AM
Hi,
I have started uploading files to scribd with the user handle HinduismLibrary

http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Regards

Omkara
19 August 2012, 09:42 PM
Any Feedback?

McKitty
19 August 2012, 10:31 PM
Any Feedback?

Vanakkam,

Is "I love you" a good feedback ? :D

More seriously, this is totally genius, Thank you a million time for this ! This is a great opportunity to learn so much ! Thank you again !

Everything seems to work fine !

Aum Namah Shivaya

Omkara
19 August 2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks a lot!

Omkara
20 August 2012, 02:06 AM
A second batch of documents will be uploaded soon.

karthikm
20 August 2012, 06:12 AM
Very nice collection. I will keep a watch on this thread. Thanks

saidevo
20 August 2012, 09:50 AM
namaste everyone.

In the HDF Library link Satay has given in post #55, perhaps we have the biggest collection of Hindu texts anyone has made!

The texts are organized in a set of folders, with the HTML interface file 0index.html at the parent folder. I have collected an empty set of folders and the HTML file into a zip file named HinduTexts.zip.

All that you have to do is to download the zip file and unzip it into a parent folder of your choice, so you get the empty folder structure. Therearfter, you open the 0index.html in a browser and start downloading the texts you like using the link provided as a vertical bar for each text: in most cases you right-click on the link and select Save as from the context-sensitive meu that pops up.

After saving the downloads into the parent folder, you hover the mouse pointer against the text entry in the HTML interface to know the folder where the file goes. Move the file to that folder and the text is ready for viewing.

Members who need the zip file may please PM me giving their email address, so I can send it to them.

Caution: The entire collection requires over 45GB of free diskspace! (You might keep the Library folders in an external hard disk for portability and share the downloaded texts with your friends in person.)

Happy reading and learning!

Omkara
20 August 2012, 12:23 PM
Coming soon....A shaivite commentary on the Bhagavad Gita!

Giza
20 August 2012, 07:05 PM
Any Feedback?

I seriously wonder if you realize just how awesome you are for doing this! :D
From this day forth, you are :bowdown: "Omkara the Magnificent"! :bowdown:

Omkara
20 August 2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks Everyone!
Since scribd anyway requires one to upload documents before downloading,why not post any ebooks that you may feel may be useful to other.

If you have any Shaivite/Shakta ebooks that are not part of this collection once complete,upload them and post the url here.

Request to satay-Can this thread be made a sticky in the Shaiva section?

I have uploaded the second batch of documents yesterday.

Aum Namasivaya

Omkara
02 September 2012, 07:00 AM
I have posted many new files.

Sahasranama
02 September 2012, 08:36 AM
Nice library.

Omkara
06 September 2012, 11:29 PM
I have added several new books on the Vedas.

Omkara
07 September 2012, 12:28 AM
Shaiva commentary on the bhagavad gita uploaded.

Giza
17 September 2012, 08:39 AM
:coffee: A link to the free online books written by Sri Swami Sivananda Saraswati and a few others (published by the Divine Life Society):

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/download.htm

squidgirl
22 September 2012, 02:13 PM
Any Feedback?

Namaste!

Oh my Goodness! thank you so much!!!! :D :D :D

jeffrey's dharmaloka
30 September 2012, 01:34 PM
Hello everyone and a good day to you all. I have a link to many Kashmir Shaivite books

http://www.scribd.com/kashmirshaiva

Sahasranama
27 October 2012, 04:56 AM
I recently bought a sony e-reader. Do you have any epub or mobi documents?

Omkara
27 October 2012, 06:06 AM
I have a lot of files in those formats,but they can't go on scribd.A good source is www.archive.org

A search in the category 'texts' for various keywords related to hinduism like vedanta,advaita,vishishtadvaita,shiva,vishnu etc. will yield very good results.Try all possible spellings of the same word.You can find files which are not available in other formats,a partial translation of the divya prabandham abd several translations of the vedas which cant be found elsewhere.
Uploading has taken a backseat as I have exams so can post only from my phone but will resume soon.There are over 1600 files in all.

Sahasranama
27 October 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks, I have the Ramayana and the Mahabharata from archive.org in epub on my ereader. I will search for more documents. Unfortunately, my ereader doesn't handle pdfs very well and epub doesn't display devnagri properly.

Omkara
15 November 2012, 09:38 AM
New files have been uploaded.

Amrut
10 September 2013, 10:31 AM
I have posted many new files.

Pranams,

You are doing excellent work,

Whenever you upload, Please can you give the title of book along with link., there are more than 360 files, so it is better to search by title and I will look for hinduismLibrary :)

On the other hand, you may contact blog owner of Hinduebooks (http://hinduebooks.blogspot.in/)

Om Namah Shivaya

Amrut

isavasya
24 November 2013, 10:04 AM
Namaste Omkara

Your Library is amazing. Thanks a ton for sharing so many of great resources. :)

rjawahar
14 December 2013, 08:52 AM
Nice collection especially the Siva Gnana Botham books which every shaivite should read and master

Aanandinii
16 September 2014, 07:24 PM
Namaskar Omkaraji,

I was wondering f you had ever been able to locate your library elsewhere since scribd took it down? I know a lot of work went into it and starting over may not be practical, even if you have the time. But I thought it worth asking, the brief time I was able to look through it, it was fantastic.

~Pranam

Omkara
16 September 2014, 10:31 PM
I have every single file saved...and several new ones....but uploading them all will take hours, and I am going through a very busy phase academically (I'm a college student). It will be up again sometime in the future. :)

You can email me through HDF if you have queries/want any particular books.

Aanandinii
17 September 2014, 07:33 PM
I have every single file saved...and several new ones....but uploading them all will take hours, and I am going through a very busy phase academically (I'm a college student). It will be up again sometime in the future. :)

You can email me through HDF if you have queries/want any particular books.
Namaskar Omkaraji,

Thanks so much for responding so fast! I had no idea you were a student. I hope your studies go well. And thank you as well for the offer, I just picked up a new book today but may indeed email when I'm done. :)

~Pranam