PDA

View Full Version : Bhakti ... I finally get it!

Eastern Mind
20 August 2012, 12:35 PM
Vannakkam: We see the mystic bhaktar versus the philosopher intellectual here once in awhile. An analogy occurred to me the other day. Who say 'Field of Dreams' the movie?

Costner's character is the bhaktar mystic, and his brother in law is the philosopher/intellectual. When, near the end, the brother in law finally 'sees' the ghosts, he says, "Since when have all those guys been playing baseball?" It his 'aha' moment. I think bhakti, or the understanding of it is like that. Without that 'aha' moment, you just don't get it.

Plot ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_Dreams

Aum Namasivaya

philosoraptor
20 August 2012, 03:59 PM
As one who does not subscribe to the artificial dichotomy of "bhakta vs intellectual..." I would say the "Ah-hah" moment corresponds with practical realization and is granted to the devotee by the Lord Himself as mentioned in the gItA verse

teṣāṁ satata-yuktānāṁ
bhajatāṁ prīti-pūrvakam
dadāmi buddhi-yogaṁ taṁ
yena mām upayānti te

Viraja
22 August 2012, 06:20 AM
Others may have more elaborate definitions for 'Bhakti' but,

If I envision my beloved deity Raama walking barefoot accompanied by his young brother and supported only by Vanaras into the great and grand war fields of Ravana who supported by millions of powerful Rakshasas in well-armed glory and pomp, aboard their chariots, cry out early success and this doesn't discourage Rama and he is prepared to fight for his life to get back his wife, and I am able to shed a few tears comtemplating this, that to me shows "Atleast I am capable of an iota of Bhakti!".

philosoraptor
22 August 2012, 09:54 AM
Ahh, when will that day come when I can one day shed tears of ecstasy when I behold in the mind's eye the divine lIla of Lord Raama?

ShivaFan
22 August 2012, 02:40 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind

Thank you for sharing this! I have never seen this movie, but now you have inspired me to do so! I REALLY like the scene you describe! So I want to see.

You know Eastern Mind, you truly are BOTH a Bhakta AND a Philosopher. BUT those like You are also something more ... You are a Father to many souls. You are also a Peacemaker. You have gone to South India. Obviously you were given something. Though Lemuria may have left us long ago, you are Lemuria in Human Form!

Thanks again!

Om Namah Sivaya

Spiritualseeker
24 August 2012, 08:10 AM
Namaste,

I think the disputes about Bhakti vs Jnana are usually by those who may have no experience of either. That is why I love when Sages reveal how both paths contains the other. How many people have realized they are th Self and still have deep devotion in form of Bhakti? The sages see that both paths are complementary. They are both expressions of consciousness. Some even say the Jnana practice of Atma Vichara (Self Inquiry) is a form of devotion, because you are seeking Siva. Stillness is a form of Bhakti. Saying the Mantra is a form of Jnana when you utter it with no preconceptions and ideas about the Mantra and the Dharma. It is lovely this play of Siva. Everything is so alive and radiant. Our paths can be filled with Bhakti and Jnana.

Om Namah Sivaya

Necromancer
08 January 2013, 09:47 AM
Vannakkam: We see the mystic bhaktar versus the philosopher intellectual here once in awhile. An analogy occurred to me the other day. Who say 'Field of Dreams' the movie?

Costner's character is the bhaktar mystic, and his brother in law is the philosopher/intellectual. When, near the end, the brother in law finally 'sees' the ghosts, he says, "Since when have all those guys been playing baseball?" It his 'aha' moment. I think bhakti, or the understanding of it is like that. Without that 'aha' moment, you just don't get it.

Plot ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_Dreams

Aum Namasivaya
That reminds me of the whole; 'I see dead people' thing. lulz

I finally 'got' Bhakti after listening to the story about Draupadi Devi. The Pandavas lost her in a game of dice and before being disrobed and during that time in the moon's cycle, she gave up her last vestige of self-dignity as a woman and prayed to Lord Krishna with all of her heart...holding both hands high up in the air...Lord Krishna became her Infinite Sari and nobody could disrobe her then.

Aum Namah Shivaya