PDA

View Full Version : Best "Temple Touring" Shoes or Sandal?

ShivaFan
28 August 2012, 12:36 PM
Best "Temple Touring" Shoes or Sandal

We all know we are not to wear shoes or sandals into the temple. So this is not about the best shoe or sandal for the temple.

But when you are out and about, let's say on a pilgrimage, and there are visits to a temple or temples on the agenda, then planning for the best "temple touring" shoes or sandal can actually be an important consideration.

For example, I remember visiting some large temple grounds in Orissa. I was wearing sandal-like shoes which covered my front toes and wrapped over and partially covered about half of the front portion of my foot with a rattan like weave.

Well I was outside on the grounds, there were stone blocks here and there - and I was with 2 others, and skirting across the top of some blocks and even just about a foot from me moving wiggily on the ground, I see a couple of very large centipedes, hundreds of rapidly moving legs and I am pretty sure these centipedes sting.

Now most of my feet were exposed. I didn't flinch, but acted like this is just fine and dandy since the other two were Indian and I didn't want to look like an "outsider" or a jerk if you will. Their feet were as exposed as mine.

So there is an example - I like to wear some kind of footwear that is easy to slip off and on (e.g. if entering a temple) but if you are getting on and off vehicles, rickshaws or scooters, you want protection too. And in the example of those sandal -shoes I gave, they were actually made from a plastic material and soon tore open from the side seam. Broken shoe or sandal can turn into a disaster, in some situations, let's say in India for example and mulling through a Kolkata street by foot.

I have seen a Westerner wearing those wooden sandals with the peg that goes between your big toe and adjacent toe, but that isn't ever going to work for me. But wearing tennis shoes, sometimes that is just "too western" if you will. Not so for Western temples, but again I don't want to fumble with the shoe, or laces..

Any personal choices for the best "temple shoes" or "sandals"? This might be a fun Canteen subject for Hindus.

Om Namah Sivaya

JaiMaaDurga
28 August 2012, 01:23 PM
Namaste ShivaFan,

Jute chappals are fairly durable, comfortable, no leather- but cannot cure centipede-anxiety ;)

JAI MATA DI

Jodhaa
28 August 2012, 01:30 PM
Namaste,

For women, there are several styles of flats that are slip on style shoes. They come made in a variety of materials and leather-free is always an option. They are easy to take on and off, can be worn with or without socks/stockings and are more durable then plain sandals. They also cover the whole top pf the foot as well as the heel. They tend to have thin soles though. So depending on how far you are walking in a day and over what terrain (smooth sidewalk, cobblestone etc) your feet might start to ache.

Now for men, I'm not sure. I suppose a men shoe equivalent must exist but I can't picture it in my mind at the moment.

Peace!

Arjuni
28 August 2012, 01:36 PM
Namasté,

Teva! I brought only my Teva sandals to India/Nepal and spent the whole month in them. Teva makes sturdy walking sandals - my current pair is the "Pretty Rugged Nylon" - and while they're not cheap, they're worth every cent. (My last pair lasted for seven years.) They're antibacterial and dry quickly (so they don't get smelly, or boggy for days after a sudden rain), comfortable, lightweight while still giving support and protection for your feet, and all that without leather. They're easy to slip on and off at a temple gate, too, since it's just one Velcro strap to unfasten.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

ShivaFan
28 August 2012, 02:29 PM
Namasté,

Teva! I brought only my Teva sandals to India/Nepal and spent the whole month in them. Teva makes sturdy walking sandals - my current pair is the "Pretty Rugged Nylon" - and while they're not cheap, they're worth every cent. (My last pair lasted for seven years.) They're antibacterial and dry quickly (so they don't get smelly, or boggy for days after a sudden rain), comfortable, lightweight while still giving support and protection for your feet, and all that without leather. They're easy to slip on and off at a temple gate, too, since it's just one Velcro strap to unfasten.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste Indraneela

Can you attach an html link showing a picture of these specific Teva sandals? I looked but find all kinds of Teva shoes-sandals. Do they protect from centipede example, do ypu wear socks?

Thanks in advance!

Om Namah Sivaya

Eastern Mind
28 August 2012, 11:39 PM
Vannakkam: In the very busy temples of the south, I would advise to wear the cheapest possible sandals you can purchase, unless there is a shoe check stall. I learned the hard way. Other places may well be different.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
29 August 2012, 12:07 AM
Namaste Eastern Mind

I think I know what you mean. Actually, I was also going to bring this up in the discussion, but I was hesitant to do so since it may give the wrong impression of why I would mention such. I think, you may be alluding to someone borrowing your sandals while you are not around to claim ownership. For example, you take off your sandals, go wash your feet, enter the temple and so on, you come back to claim your sandals and .... They are not there .... Right?

Personally, I have never had my shoes or sandals disappear on me in India. But someone told me that theirs was ... E.g. Take off shoes, go in temple, come back, no shoes.

But as I told Him, I consider Him a Saint, and so it may have been possible that His sandals merged with the Deva or perhaps they were taken by the Lord to be put in the temple treasures of the Murthi Himself as a prized token of a beloved devotee.

But this should probably be part of the "best temple touring shoes or sandal" , viz easy to take off and on, not "too Western" looking if the temple is in India (I.e. Tennis shoes probably not the best choice), but sturdy enough not to fall apart and leave you on some Kolkata footpath with no jutas, sandal like but not leaving your foot so exposed that you may get stung by a centipede in Orissa, but not expensive in case you discover after coming out of the South Indian temple in Chidambaram that your jutas have merged with Deva and are now gone.

This sounds like a pretty tall order to fill. Perhaps becoming a Siddhar is easier and just renounce all juta culture.

Any personal choices? I hope it's not those rubber pool side thongs found in the US.

Om Namah Sivaya

satay
29 August 2012, 12:36 AM
namaste,

Namaste Eastern Mind

For example, you take off your sandals, go wash your feet, enter the temple and so on, you come back to claim your sandals and .... They are not there .... Right?
Om Namah Sivaya

I have seen this happen very often even in the North. It is kind of comical but not funny to the person who now has nothing to wear or must borrow some old (broken) pair of chappal from someone to go to shoe store and purchase another pair. I always wear old pair of something like this (size 10.5 if anyone wants to know and ship me a pair :)).

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSylnAwBnwT-GQDDaFJKWZgxcJO7Aev9mLMNkWhlWV2TCfCWHGNHQ
(http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSylnAwBnwT-GQDDaFJKWZgxcJO7Aev9mLMNkWhlWV2TCfCWHGNHQ)

ShivaFan
29 August 2012, 12:47 AM
Namaste Satay

This is exactly, perfect!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste JaiMaaDurga

This is also perfect!

Amba Devi Ki Jai!

Eastern Mind
29 August 2012, 08:40 AM
Vannakkam: It really didn't bother me when my sandals went missing because I figured someone must have needed them more than I. The last trip to India I took 3 pair, but didn't have any 'borrowed'. I also carried a pair of sneakers for the street walks, hikes, etc. Sturdier on the foot, and could hold up better in the busy markets. At the shirtless temples usually there is a shirt-check place nearby.

Still, care of feet is important in any country. Many injuries can occur, and it is a place for receiving infections. So if a cut ever happened, I'd be extra carefel anywhere.

Aum Namasivaya