PDA

View Full Version : Shiva Puja

Vitani
30 August 2012, 06:44 PM
Namaste,

I would like to know if there are any auspicious times or dates for doing Shiva Puja? In the morning, evening, etc, or on a certain day like Monday, Tuesday, and so on?

Pranams,

Vitani

Eastern Mind
30 August 2012, 06:50 PM
Namaste,

I would like to know if there are any auspicious times or dates for doing Shiva Puja? In the morning, evening, etc, or on a certain day like Monday, Tuesday, and so on?

Pranams,

Vitani

Vannakkam Vitani: Do you mean at temple or at home? In my opinion all times are good, yet some may be better than others. Obviously Sivaratri is a great time, as are pradosha days. I'm sure others here will assist you.

Aum Namasivaya

Vitani
30 August 2012, 06:55 PM
Vannakkam Vitani: Do you mean at temple or at home? In my opinion all times are good, yet some may be better than others. Obviously Sivaratri is a great time, as are pradosha days. I'm sure others here will assist you.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

I was hoping to do a Shiva Puja at home. I wish there was a temple nearby where I live, though.

Shivoham

McKitty
30 August 2012, 08:46 PM
Vanakkam,

I am interested to know more too, for knowledge !
For worship of Shiva I do Abhiseka on linga (I have one very ancient mukha linga found in a old shop) I can help regarding this particular worhship but I don't know about Shiva puja on a image or murthi...

I would say that wathever you offer the Lord something with devotion and recite His mantra and meditate on His holy form, He will accept it. Lord Mahadeva is the easy pleased one, His Bhakta are really dear to Him...So worship according to your heart and offer Him everything with devotion !

However I have heard of flowers that shouldn't be offered for Shiva, as they have been cursed by Him. I will find the names again, but don't mind.

Jai Shiva Omkara ! Jai Bhole Shankar !

Aum Namah Shivaya

kundanghanekar
31 August 2012, 04:23 AM
Every day is shiva day and every hour is shiva hour. Just take bath before any pooja and feel shiva in pooja.

Ganeshprasad
31 August 2012, 04:48 AM
Pranam

Shiva means auspicious for that reason alone any puja done knowingly or unknowingly is auspicious but then you knew that right.

Somavar(monday) is special day in many ways. Shiva is Somanath.
also Shivratri, every chaturdasi, dark night day before the new moon is considered very auspicious and off course the maha Shivratri.

Jai Shree Krishna

shian
31 August 2012, 06:26 PM
if the point is most special day, that is monday and Shivaratri

But, about many tradition, in different state we will all of religion have their own traditon according to many reason.

But Lord Shiva is very pleased with sincere heart and devotion.

ShivaFan
31 August 2012, 06:46 PM
Namaste

Ganeshprashad and all others gave some wonderful information, Thank you!

Just to add some interestng information, I see some belef that the day of the week chosen for a puja can predicate a type of blessing sought no matter Whom the Deva or Devi.
See-From Ram Charran

*HOW DOES A PERSON KNOW WHICH IS THE MOST AUSPICIOUS TIME TO PERFORM A PUJA?* 
*The day that  you select to perform the puja is determined by what you DESIRE and what blessings you want to recieve from that puja. The auspicious TIME of your Puja is determined according to the time of your own Birth. The following is a simple table that may guide you.* 
 *DAYS**BENEFITS**DAYS**BENEFITS*
*SUNDAYS**You will increase your Wealth**THURSDAYS**You are blessed with knowledge & Peace*
*MONDAYS**You will recieve family blessings**FRIDAYS**Conrol of your Love life is fulfilling*
*TUESDAYS**You will control anger and Separation**SATURDAYS**Control of your:
Posessions & your Expenses
*WEDNESDAYS**You can recieve Peace and Knowledge**HOLIDAYS**Brings you specific Blessings from thet Deity*
*TYPE OF PUJA**THE MOST AUSTICIOUS TIME*
*SHIVA**Anytime and all times. According your desire you can choose the day.*
*DURGA**Must be done in the Morning hours except in NAV-RAATRI when it can be done any time. [A Durga Puja is NOT Yearly Puja].*
*LAXMI**Anytime is good in the Day. Nightime is not recommended. Most Auspicious time is Sunday morning*
*GANESH**Can be done Anytime. The day will depend upon the desired objective.*
*HANUMAN**Any time, however if done on Saturday and Tuesdays he protects your wealth, and your Marriage*
*PITRI PUJA**Must be done always in the morning and must be finished before 12:00pm. [For best results, Pitri Puja must be completed 5 hours and 36 minutes after sunrise i.e: just before NOON hour].*
*NAV GRAHA**Can be done any day as long as it is done in the morning.*
*SATNARAYAN**Can be done anytime but it is most auspicious at the time of FULL MOON*
*YAGNAS**Cannot be started if AGNI is in PATAL (underground). Should not be started on a Tuesday. Wednesday & Thursday are best for Yagnas.*

*"The most Auspicious time of the day for all Pujas is always in the morning before 12:00 MIDDAY. IT IS NEVER GOOD TO START A PUJA BETWEEN 12:00 to 1:00 PM OR BETWEEN 6:00 - 7:00 PM. THIS IS BECAUSE THE DAY IS BROKEN IN 6 HOUR INTERVAL FROM SUNRISE. HOWEVER IF A PUJA IS STARTED EARLIER AND GOES PASS THE MIDDAY OR EVENING BREAK IT WOULD BE OK. IT IS THE STARTING TIME THATS IMPORTANT."* 

*There are certain periods when certain Pujas cannot be performed. These include:*
*PITRI PAKSH - no pujas must be done except Pitri Pujas, Funerals, Panchaka Pujas and Nav - Graha Pujas* 
*KARAWAS - 13 days after Holika when Agni is underground. The Hawan fire will be difficult to light.* 
*FULL MOON - Opening pujas for hospitals, Medical Clinics and Surgical Operations facilities cannot be done* 
*WEDDINGS - Proper Days should be checked by a competent Astrologer. Lagan days are Auspicious. Avoid Marriage ceremonies on TUESDAYS, SATURDAYS & during PITRI PAKSH, and within ONE YEAR OF A DEATH of a relative.* 
*FUNERALS - Avoid burying people on PANCHAK days. This could create sicknesses, losses and death for other family members.  It is better to wait until after Panchak for Burial. Hindu Priests should be consulted.*
*"THE MOON CONTROLS THE EMOTIONAL STATE OF OUR LIFE.  IT AFFECTS THE WAY WE THINK BECAUSE THE MOON AFFECTS THE FLUID AND  BLOOD CIRCULATION IN OUR BODIES."* 
*"The following table will indicate how the Moon affects you each day."* 
 *FULL MOON**Hindu Name**COMMENTS**FULL MOON**Hindu Name**COMMENTS*
*Waning Moon - 1**Pratipad* *NEW MOON**Amavasya* 
*Waning Moon - 2**Davitya* *Waxing Moon - 1**Pratipad* 
*Waning Moon - 3**Tritiya* *Waxing Moon - 2**Davitya* 
*Waning Moon - 4**Chaturthi* *Waxing Moon - 3**Tritiya* 
*Waning Moon - 5**Panchmi* *Waxing Moon - 4**Chaturthi**Good for Ganesh Puja*
*Waning Moon - 6**Sasthi* *Waxing Moon - 5* *Panchmi* 
*Waning Moon - 7**Saptami* *Waxing Moon - 6**Sasthi* 
*Waning Moon - 8**Ashtami* *Good for Krishna Puja**Waxing Moon - 7**Saptami* 
*Waning Moon - 9**Naumi* *Not good for Pujas**Waxing Moon - 8**Ashtami**Good for Krishna Puja*
*Waning Moon -10**Dasami* *Waxing Moon - 9**Naumi**Not good for most Pujas*
*Waning Moon -11**Ekadasi* *Good for all Pujas**Waxing Moon -10**Dasami* 
*Waning Moon -12**Dvadasi* *Waxing Moon -11**Ekadasi**Good for all Pujas*
*Waning Moon -13**Triodasi* *Good for Shiva Puja**Waxing Moon -12**Dvadasi* 
*Waning Moon -14**Chaturdasi* *Waxing Moon -13**Triodasi**Good for Shiva Puja*
*Waning Moon -15**Amavasya* *Waxing Moon -14**Chaturdasi* 
**    *Waxing Moon -15* *FULL MOON**Good for Satnarayan Puja*

*Note:* 
*Normally, Nav Raatri begins immediately after Pitri Paksh. In the year 2001 however, the Fall Nav Raatri did not begin immediately after Pitri Paksh because the astrological records show after every 29 years, there is a period called ADHIK MAS, which literally means an extra month.  This extra month begins after Pitri Paksh and hence NAV RATRI commenced after the expiration of that month. This will happen again in the year 2030.*
*Copyright © 2002 RamCharran*

McKitty
31 August 2012, 06:53 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you so much Shivafanji for all of this ! Oo this is really useful, did you find that on a book ?

Aum Namah Shivaya

ShivaFan
31 August 2012, 07:57 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you so much Shivafanji for all of this ! Oo this is really useful, did you find that on a book ?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste

Actually I should have posted his website! I meant to do so, but I was in my car. Here is his weblink:

http://www.swamiram.com/lj_articles/pujatime.php

It is also part of the forum rules. Sorry!

Om Namah Sivaya

Vitani
31 August 2012, 08:40 PM
Namaste

Ganeshprashad and all others gave some wonderful information, Thank you!

Just to add some interestng information, I see some belef that the day of the week chosen for a puja can predicate a type of blessing sought no matter Whom the Deva or Devi.
See-From Ram Charran

*HOW DOES A PERSON KNOW WHICH IS THE MOST AUSPICIOUS TIME TO PERFORM A PUJA?* 
*The day that  you select to perform the puja is determined by what you DESIRE and what blessings you want to recieve from that puja. The auspicious TIME of your Puja is determined according to the time of your own Birth. The following is a simple table that may guide you.* 
 *DAYS**BENEFITS**DAYS**BENEFITS*
*SUNDAYS**You will increase your Wealth**THURSDAYS**You are blessed with knowledge & Peace*
*MONDAYS**You will recieve family blessings**FRIDAYS**Conrol of your Love life is fulfilling*
*TUESDAYS**You will control anger and Separation**SATURDAYS**Control of your:
Posessions & your Expenses
*WEDNESDAYS**You can recieve Peace and Knowledge**HOLIDAYS**Brings you specific Blessings from thet Deity*
*TYPE OF PUJA**THE MOST AUSTICIOUS TIME*
*SHIVA**Anytime and all times. According your desire you can choose the day.*
*DURGA**Must be done in the Morning hours except in NAV-RAATRI when it can be done any time. [A Durga Puja is NOT Yearly Puja].*
*LAXMI**Anytime is good in the Day. Nightime is not recommended. Most Auspicious time is Sunday morning*
*GANESH**Can be done Anytime. The day will depend upon the desired objective.*
*HANUMAN**Any time, however if done on Saturday and Tuesdays he protects your wealth, and your Marriage*
*PITRI PUJA**Must be done always in the morning and must be finished before 12:00pm. [For best results, Pitri Puja must be completed 5 hours and 36 minutes after sunrise i.e: just before NOON hour].*
*NAV GRAHA**Can be done any day as long as it is done in the morning.*
*SATNARAYAN**Can be done anytime but it is most auspicious at the time of FULL MOON*
*YAGNAS**Cannot be started if AGNI is in PATAL (underground). Should not be started on a Tuesday. Wednesday & Thursday are best for Yagnas.*

*"The most Auspicious time of the day for all Pujas is always in the morning before 12:00 MIDDAY. IT IS NEVER GOOD TO START A PUJA BETWEEN 12:00 to 1:00 PM OR BETWEEN 6:00 - 7:00 PM. THIS IS BECAUSE THE DAY IS BROKEN IN 6 HOUR INTERVAL FROM SUNRISE. HOWEVER IF A PUJA IS STARTED EARLIER AND GOES PASS THE MIDDAY OR EVENING BREAK IT WOULD BE OK. IT IS THE STARTING TIME THATS IMPORTANT."* 

*There are certain periods when certain Pujas cannot be performed. These include:*
*PITRI PAKSH - no pujas must be done except Pitri Pujas, Funerals, Panchaka Pujas and Nav - Graha Pujas* 
*KARAWAS - 13 days after Holika when Agni is underground. The Hawan fire will be difficult to light.* 
*FULL MOON - Opening pujas for hospitals, Medical Clinics and Surgical Operations facilities cannot be done* 
*WEDDINGS - Proper Days should be checked by a competent Astrologer. Lagan days are Auspicious. Avoid Marriage ceremonies on TUESDAYS, SATURDAYS & during PITRI PAKSH, and within ONE YEAR OF A DEATH of a relative.* 
*FUNERALS - Avoid burying people on PANCHAK days. This could create sicknesses, losses and death for other family members.  It is better to wait until after Panchak for Burial. Hindu Priests should be consulted.*
*"THE MOON CONTROLS THE EMOTIONAL STATE OF OUR LIFE.  IT AFFECTS THE WAY WE THINK BECAUSE THE MOON AFFECTS THE FLUID AND  BLOOD CIRCULATION IN OUR BODIES."* 
*"The following table will indicate how the Moon affects you each day."* 
 *FULL MOON**Hindu Name**COMMENTS**FULL MOON**Hindu Name**COMMENTS*
*Waning Moon - 1**Pratipad* *NEW MOON**Amavasya* 
*Waning Moon - 2**Davitya* *Waxing Moon - 1**Pratipad* 
*Waning Moon - 3**Tritiya* *Waxing Moon - 2**Davitya* 
*Waning Moon - 4**Chaturthi* *Waxing Moon - 3**Tritiya* 
*Waning Moon - 5**Panchmi* *Waxing Moon - 4**Chaturthi**Good for Ganesh Puja*
*Waning Moon - 6**Sasthi* *Waxing Moon - 5* *Panchmi* 
*Waning Moon - 7**Saptami* *Waxing Moon - 6**Sasthi* 
*Waning Moon - 8**Ashtami* *Good for Krishna Puja**Waxing Moon - 7**Saptami* 
*Waning Moon - 9**Naumi* *Not good for Pujas**Waxing Moon - 8**Ashtami**Good for Krishna Puja*
*Waning Moon -10**Dasami* *Waxing Moon - 9**Naumi**Not good for most Pujas*
*Waning Moon -11**Ekadasi* *Good for all Pujas**Waxing Moon -10**Dasami* 
*Waning Moon -12**Dvadasi* *Waxing Moon -11**Ekadasi**Good for all Pujas*
*Waning Moon -13**Triodasi* *Good for Shiva Puja**Waxing Moon -12**Dvadasi* 
*Waning Moon -14**Chaturdasi* *Waxing Moon -13**Triodasi**Good for Shiva Puja*
*Waning Moon -15**Amavasya* *Waxing Moon -14**Chaturdasi* 
**    *Waxing Moon -15* *FULL MOON**Good for Satnarayan Puja*

*Note:* 
*Normally, Nav Raatri begins immediately after Pitri Paksh. In the year 2001 however, the Fall Nav Raatri did not begin immediately after Pitri Paksh because the astrological records show after every 29 years, there is a period called ADHIK MAS, which literally means an extra month.  This extra month begins after Pitri Paksh and hence NAV RATRI commenced after the expiration of that month. This will happen again in the year 2030.*
*Copyright © 2002 RamCharran*

Wow, thanks! This is so much good information, I will most certainly use it!