PDA

View Full Version : Why do all Durga Pujas have this moorthi?

Brishti
07 September 2012, 11:12 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2155/1573720245_fce2df0032.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u-27WXdEOtk/Tp_3ekuaHEI/AAAAAAAABNk/u8eDQ8kCbBI/s1600/Durga-puja-by-maa-durga-puja-samiti-bushunpur-garhwa.jpg

This mostly applies to Bengali Durga Pujas.
Ma Durga is shown with Ma Laksmi, Kartikeya, Ma Saraswati, and Ganesh.

The following information is what I was told:

Ma Durga descends down to Earth on Durga Puja.
Lord Shiva stays at his heavenly peaks, and sends her to descend down on land, which is like her father's home.
She comes with her sons, Ganesh and Kartikeya, and I was told that Laksmi and Saraswati are her daughters, which is why they also come down on Durga Puja, with her.

I do not know how much of that is accurate.
Wouldn't that make Vishnu and Brahma, Lord Shiva's son in laws?
:confused:
It really is confusing me.

So could someone please explain to me, the reason why Laksmi and Saraswati are in the moorthis as well.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.
Pranam.

devotee
08 September 2012, 02:15 AM
Namaste Brishti,

This is not really true as per Hindu Shastras. During war against the demons, Mother Goddess Durga was helped by many other deities e.g. Mother Saraswati helped by clouding the mind of the demon etc. So, in my opinion, all deities should be worshipped in Durga Puja as they helped win the war against Mahishashur.

However, there is not enough space there to keep Murtis of all deities so only the chosen ones are kept there e.g. Kartikeya being the head of gods-Army aptly enjoys a place there. Ganesha has to be there to see that everything goes smoothly as desired ... he is the Vighneshwara. Moreover, he is a good warrior too, brother of Kartikeya. Lakshmi is dear to everyone ... so why leave her at this great occasion ?

Seeing Goddess Durga as daughter who comes to the householder every year with her children comes from Vatslya bhava as her coming and going with these deities is exactly as a married daughter visits her parents occasionally. More over, Mother Durga is mother of all, so there is nothing wrong in attaching a mother figure to her for all these deities.

OM

Omkara
08 September 2012, 02:23 AM
Durga is the source of all deities as per Devi Bhagavata Purana which is the original source of this story.I have uploaded a translation ony online library.Check it if you do not beleive me.

Brishti
08 September 2012, 03:21 PM
Namaste Brishti,

This is not really true as per Hindu Shastras. During war against the demons, Mother Goddess Durga was helped by many other deities e.g. Mother Saraswati helped by clouding the mind of the demon etc. So, in my opinion, all deities should be worshipped in Durga Puja as they helped win the war against Mahishashur.

However, there is not enough space there to keep Murtis of all deities so only the chosen ones are kept there e.g. Kartikeya being the head of gods-Army aptly enjoys a place there. Ganesha has to be there to see that everything goes smoothly as desired ... he is the Vighneshwara. Moreover, he is a good warrior too, brother of Kartikeya. Lakshmi is dear to everyone ... so why leave her at this great occasion ?

Seeing Goddess Durga as daughter who comes to the householder every year with her children comes from Vatslya bhava as her coming and going with these deities is exactly as a married daughter visits her parents occasionally. More over, Mother Durga is mother of all, so there is nothing wrong in attaching a mother figure to her for all these deities.

OM

Oh! So that is the purpose of having the deities along with her in Durga Puja. The version that I heard came from the Vatslya bhava. In my Bengali background, Ma Durga is seen as the prime Goddess, and sometimes the supreme.

Yes Omkara, I will search for the Devi Bhagavata Purana in your library. It's a great resource center.

Dhanyavad to you both.