PDA

View Full Version : Why Sri Rama killed Vali from behind

Viraja
12 September 2012, 03:59 PM
I recently watched a discourse by Velukkudi Krishnan, he was discussing Why Rama killed Vali from behind, Why Krishna had to get switched b/w his own mother and foster mother after birth and why Srimad Ramanuja sent his disciple Kooratthaazhwar to face the tyrant king but himself left to Melkote and safety.

Of which Vali's reasoning is of much interest:

1. Vali did not forgive Sugreeva even when Sugreeva fell at his feet begging for forgiveness.

2. Vali abducted Sugreeva's wife Uma even when Sugreeva was alive.

3. Vali is an ANIMAL - so just as someone would kill a wild animal, say a tiger or a bear that bothers the city from behind, but not stand in front of it, so also since Vali was an animal, it was a highly intelligent and diplomatic solution of Rama to kill Vali from behind.

I have also heard of 2 other reasons stated not by Krishnan:

1. Vali was very pompous about his invincibility and hence roamed around waging war with every neighbour and defeating him that all those neighbouring kings already had many secret plans for killing Vali. Even Rama had not killed Vali, he was sure to be killed by these neighbouring kings.

2. Vali wore a chain given by Indra (may be incorrect) but that made him invincible. In other words, nobody could kill Vali in the front because he was wearing that chain.

So were the reasons why Rama killed Vali from behind. (Vali also seems to be a great friend of Ravana).

ShivaFan
12 September 2012, 07:10 PM
Namaste

Here is my personal opinion, but forgive me if I error.

There are so many inter-weaving of not only Personalities within Hinduism, but many threads interconnected within the famous historical events in the epic histories of Hindu Dharma.

We need not detail the bad qualities of Vali, who is considered “the Son of Indra”, and it is understood that Sugreeva was “the Son of Surya”. It is also understood that Sugreeva was the yourger brother of Vali. Vali, as the King of Kiskinda, had many good qualities which could provide his qualification to be given the shelter of God if he so sought, but there were as many bad qualities of his Kingship. Because of such bad qualities, his brother had to flee in banishment with Hanuman to the Mountain Matanga. And Vali took Sugreeva’s wife, Ruma, as his own. The Kingdom took even a more darker course of affairs over time under Vali.

But it is not his bad qualities that determined his fate at the hands of Rama.

Rama is the shelter for those who are in exile. Hanuman, who is Shiva, is the shelter for orphans.

Hanuman brought Lord Rama to Sugreeva who was in exile, and encouraged Sugreeva, who was seen as courageous Adventurer, to become a friend of Ram. In fact, Rama and Sugreeva took an Oath of Friendship before an Altar of Fire. In fact, the very reason the Vanaras emerged at that time was to have Their Moment in Time to be alongside of Rama in the battle(s) to come. And Vali was to be there as well, alongside of Rama, but there are many reasons he would not be there.

And so Rama, whose beloved was taken by Ravan, and Sugreeva, whose beloved was taken by Vali, indeed became friends. A wonderful alliance is then formed, the fate of Ravan sealed. While Vali had many bad qualities, but also great power from Indra, yet Ravan was even a greater challenge. And so it was the course of things, that Vali would be taken down first so that time would reunite Sugreeva and Ruma, and those Monkeys including Sugreeva that Rama befriended would be His Army against Ravan so that time would reunite Rama and Sita.

But even those reasons were not what determined his fate at the hands of Rama.

Rama, and only Rama alone along with His Armies, was to face Ravana. Why? Because Sita requested this Herself. For after all, it could have been possible for Hanuman to try and take Sita back with Him when He visited Her captivity in Ravan’s garden. But instead Sita requested that Rama must come and upon killing Ravan, to then take Her back. And Why? Because She fully understood Dharma. Dharma alone dictated such a course even before Her abduction. It must be Rama who comes to Her. Rama will come.

But even Dharma is not the reason that determined his fate at the hands of Rama.

Though some may be concerned, that Vali would take the shelter of Ravana, this is not the reason that determined his fate at the hands of Rama. It is understood that Vali was a “monkey”, but this is not the reason that determined his fate at the hands of Rama. For Vali was also a being as among all beings. Do not see a Monkey or a Bear, even if one stands before you and though there is no harm in knowing that the "animal" before you has a "name" that is the properly embodied form. Vali was also a being.

Rama said:
Sakrud eve prapannaya tavasmeeti ca yacate
Abhyyam sarva bhootebhyo dadamyetad vratam ma ma -

“All those beings that seek My Shelter and plead for My Mercy, and tell you now and declare I am yours, I shall certainly offer My Protection to All of them. This is My vow.”

So this is why.

Rama standing directly before him and knowing what fate was to come, Vali would have certainly tried to take the shelter of Rama Himself. As ALL the Vanaras had a blessing and benediction to be along side of Rama, as bad of quality Vali was there was still enough in his heart, though small but great in benediction, that made him qualify for such Shelter. Yet, this Shelter alone is for all beings, who Plead for this Mercy of God. But Rama as the Perfect Man, knew that His oath to help Sugreeva will be fulfilled. And yet, He also knew that if asked for Shelter, He would give it but not all who accept it always change their life entirely. Vali had great power from Indra. And though he would not have changed even after given Shelter, this is not the reason for his fate.

Rama would not deny any devotee who takes His shelter. That is the reason.

So now, as Vali died, he still, NEVERTHELESS, was given the Shelter in the end during his dying moments. And so, he was blessed, that he could now become a FULL being.

Jai Lord Hanuman!

Om Namah Sivaya

Circa 1595 AD folio depecting Rama chastising the dying Vali:
http://www.mythfolklore.net/india/images/gallery/rama_vali.jpg

12th (circa 1100’s AD) Century relief carving from Angkor Wat in Cambodia depicting the two brothers Sugriva and Vali fighting:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Stone_bas_relief_at_Banteay_Srei_in_Cambodia_from_front.jpg/220px-Stone_bas_relief_at_Banteay_Srei_in_Cambodia_from_front.jpg

Viraja
12 September 2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you, ShivaFanji. That was wonderful information.

Vali has not been just an embodiment of bad qualities - he seems to be pompous and unforgiving - his important negative traits. Through the former, he earned many enemies, through the latter, he earned his own brother for his enemy.

However at the dying moments, he praises Rama for killing him and says that Rama is truly justified in having slain him so.

Even with the abridged version of Ramayana as narrated by C.Rajagopalachari, the emotions of Vali and the truthfulness and gentleness with which he speaks to Rama after he has been slain brings mercy even to the most convinced of Vali's negative traits.

Like you say, it must be that Vali, would not keep up his words after Rama gives shelter, if that had been the case. And Rama had to stand by Sugreeva's cause...

But I would love to take a moment to call out, hail for Vali, the true monkey Kshatriya for his noble words at the end to Rama!

Twilightdance
13 September 2012, 02:18 AM
Thank you, ShivaFanji. He seems to be unforgiving - his important negative traits

Can you please inform me of any incident in the mahabharata where Krishna is forgiving to his enemies?

Viraja
13 September 2012, 07:05 AM
Can you please inform me of any incident in the mahabharata where Krishna is forgiving to his enemies?

I don't understand the question. Are you comparing Sugreeva with the Kauravas? The Kauravas planned for deceit in the game of dice and invited Dharmaputra to play it so he can lose everything, whereas Sugreeva mistakenly closes the entrance to the cave and begs Vali for his forgiveness.

Jainarayan
13 September 2012, 08:11 AM
Namaste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishupala

In the Mahabharata, Shishupala's mother was given a vow by Krishna, her nephew, that he would pardon his cousin Shishupala a hundred times before he decides to kill him. ...

The Vishnu Purana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vishnu_Purana) contributes an additional legend about him. "Sisupala was in a former existence the unrighteous but valiant monarch of the Daityas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daitya), Hiranyakasipu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiranyakasipu), who was killed by the divine guardian of creation (in the Narasimha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narasimha) Avatar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar)). ...

but had now received birth once more as Sisupala, the son of Damaghosha, king of Chedi. In this character he renewed with great inveteracy than ever his hostile hatred towards Pundarikaksha (Vishnu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vishnu)), and by consequence was slain by him. But from the circumstance of his thoughts being constantly engrossed by the supreme being, Sisupala was united with him after death, for the lord bestows a heavenly and exalted station even upon those whom he slays in his displeasure."