PDA

View Full Version : Travel Forum for India

ShivaFan
18 September 2012, 12:19 AM
Namaste

Many on the HDF have an interest in traveling to India, or if they have been to India perhaps are traveling to states not traversed before such as to South India.

Any recommendations for such adventurers as far as Internet resources where one can forum with other like minded travelers who have perhaps already "been there, done that" and who can advise from anything or everything from local restaurants, to advisory, to help bring perspective to an itinerary?

For examples let's say Mr. Yoga Hashi wants to visit Tamil Nadu to see some of the most beautiful temples. He is bringing wife and kids. Is there a forum to discuss with other more experienced? Let's say Mr. Hashi would like a list of temple names and which ones have closed door caste restrictions or do not allow Westerners? Or what might be suggestions as to shopping for art and religious item? Any interesting people to visit? What if I also want to have a local Jyotish do a chart? Local bird life? Would it be too far to hike to if tired and with kids? What about those fakirs?

In other words, "the good stuff" and not just Lonely Planet tourist agendas.

Om Namah Sivaya

ShriBala
18 September 2012, 06:23 AM
Namaskar. Not sure about the spirituality part, but indiamike.com seems to be a vibrant and buzzing forum of travellogues, advice seekers and givers.

Eastern Mind
18 September 2012, 07:51 AM
Vannakkam: I used indiamike some, but Trip Advisor also has decent forums for almost anywhere. I've never used it for India, but for almost any other place, it's pretty good. You can always post your question anyway.

I'm browsing Trip Advisor for Mauritius, and have learned a bit. But since I have friends there, its not so necessary.

Such forums are incredibly useful. You can save a ton of money and headache by following the advice given on them. I also wouldn't hesitate to ask on here as well. The difference is that we understand what it means to be a Hindu pilgrim, whereas on the other sites, it's just for anybody and everybody.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritual Bee
08 April 2013, 12:34 PM
Hello ShivaFan,
I would recommend Mariellen Ward's blog breathedreamgo.com

She is a Canadian and has traveled in India extensively over the past 7 years. I am an Indian, but I really enjoy her perspective, having lived in the West for many years myself.

ShivaFan
09 April 2013, 12:30 PM
Namaste Spiritual Bee

Thanks for sharing this blog, she has a nice travel blog with a strong perspective for India. I notice she is dressed in Indian attire!

http://media.breathedreamgo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Mariellen_Portrait.jpg

I will visit it from time to time!

Om Namah Sivaya