PDA

View Full Version : Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 08:06 AM
Namaste!

I had the good fortune of being able to visit my first completed Hindu Temple! (my home temple is in flux as it is still being built). The HTGC was incredible. There are two sections of the temple divided by a hallway and auditorium. One side is the Sri Ram Temple with Hanuman, Lakshmi, Radha Krishna, Ganesha, Ram Darbar, and Sri Venkateswara. The other side is the Durga, Shiva, Ganesha Temple (Yes, Ganesh is on both sides, interestingly enough). Another interesting thing about the Durga/ Shiva /Ganesha temple is that there are two forms if Shiva represented in different shrines. One is Shiva Lingam, the other is Sri Nataraja. I thought it was interesting since I had read somewhere that Nataraja isn't often depicted in temples.

The architecture was awesome. I have to say while the place was very conducive to meditation and prayer the deities are what I would describe as "Intense". Most were made from what looked to be black stone or marble and they were covered in gold and flowers. The two exceptions to this were Maha Durga and Radha Krishna - They seemed to be made of white marble and had painted features. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this stylistic difference? Is it a South/North Indian difference? Walking into the Rama Temple I instantly new I was in a holy place because the weight of the air changed. It was very surreal. I'd never had that experience before. I don't know if it was all in my mind or not, but one moment the air was normal and the next it became heavy - not in a bad way - it was just different. It was a signal that I was entering a holy place. I went to the Sita-Rama-Lakshman shrine and said a prayer and thanked Rama for putting up with all my doubts and questions. I felt good walking away so I think he heard me.

I spent most of my time with Maha Lakshmi and Maha Durga. I prayed and meditated for a bit and then walk around just looking and greeting the various deities. My only complaint is that the statue of Lakshmi was literally pushed up against what I assumed was a supply closet for the priest, as he kept going in and out to grab certain things while I was there. I felt a little like I was in his way and it was a little distracting.

The statue of Maha Durga was breathtaking. I really don't know how to describe it. You just have to go.:)

I went Twice actually. I went there upon arrival to Chicago on a Friday and then again on Sunday. (I had to visit again). Friday was extremely quiet. Sunday was bustling! Upon leaving on Sunday I suddenly remembered my Temple Token that I had from Indianapolis. I was already outside the temple so I took the coin and pressed it against the large carved door of the Temple and thanked God for allowing me to visit. I didn't have time to visit the Balaji Temple in Aurora - it was another 40 minutes West and I had a long drive home to Indiana that day. I will have to make a special trip in the future.

I will say the Indianapolis Temple will likely have a very different feel when it is complete. It is interesting to note the difference in the interiors. I can't wait for it to be completed!

Thank you for listening to me ramble! If you have other questions, let me know!

Peace!

Eastern Mind
24 September 2012, 08:16 AM
Vannakkam Jodhaa: Nice, again. I think temples change when they are completed. The rites that happen for the opening will do that. I've heard of this temple, and been to the one in Aurora. (On the way through one time, we figured we just had time for one.) All I've heard are good things. Yes, the black granite is from the South, and the white marble is from the North. Not always, but pretty consistently, temples here follow the pattern set back home. This is one of the largest most impressive temples in North America, so you were blessed indeed.

Nataraja is often in these temples, it's just unusual to have Nataraja as the central deity in the moolasthanam. Side shrines are common. Glad you had a 'good' time.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 08:19 AM
Vannakkam Jodhaa: Yes, the black granite is from the South, and the white marble is from the North. Not always, but pretty consistently, temples here follow the pattern set back home.

Nataraja is often in these temples, it's just unusual to have Nataraja as the central deity in the moolasthanam. Side shrines are common. Glad you had a 'good' time.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for the clarification, EM. Another thing I noticed is that while Lakshmi's face was made of the Black granite, her arms were made of (or covered with) a silver tone metal. Do you know the reason for this?

Thank you!

Eastern Mind
24 September 2012, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the clarification, EM. Another thing I noticed is that while Lakshmi's face was made of the Black granite, her arms were made of (or covered with) a silver tone metal. Do you know the reason for this?

Thank you!

Vannakkam: It would be covered with, and quite likely pure silver, made from a cast of that particular deity, so it fits her and her alone. Our Ganesha here has a pure gold full body one, uses only on special occasions. Creative priests will alter the deities appearance day to day after each abhishekham. So another gift you can give to temples is clothing for deities. All shaktis, regardless of size, wear full size saris, and the priests learn folding really well. Seems like they can fold a sari to fit any size, with amazing grace. But you'd very rarely see it, as dressing is often done with curtain closed.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 08:40 AM
Vannakkam: It would be covered with, and quite likely pure silver, made from a cast of that particular deity, so it fits her and her alone. Our Ganesha here has a pure gold full body one, uses only on special occasions. Creative priests will alter the deities appearance day to day after each abhishekham. So another gift you can give to temples is clothing for deities. All shaktis, regardless of size, wear full size saris, and the priests learn folding really well. Seems like they can fold a sari to fit any size, with amazing grace. But you'd very rarely see it, as dressing is often done with curtain closed.

Aum Namasivaya

Wow. I knew about the changing of the saris after Abhishekham, but the deities that are currently set up in the Indianapolis Temple are made of solid brass so the mixing of the stone and the silver was new to me.

Thank you!

Eastern Mind
24 September 2012, 09:03 AM
Wow. I knew about the changing of the saris after Abhishekham, but the deities that are currently set up in the Indianapolis Temple are made of solid brass so the mixing of the stone and the silver was new to me.

Thank you!

Vannakkam: They don't do that with the brass murthis, just with granite ones. The covering is like a 'mask', but tight. Most likely the ones in Indianapolis are temporary, and will be used later in a side shrine or for parade deities, and when or as the temple is constructed they will be getting stone ones. Good chance they are already there or currently being carves somewhere in India. Its always enjoyable to watch the progress of a new temple. Do they have a mahakumbabhishekam day set yet?

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 09:36 AM
Vannakkam: Do they have a mahakumbabhishekam day set yet?

Aum Namasivaya

It has moved several times since I started attending. Originally it was supposed to take place next year in the June/July time-frame, but because of some delays it will not be until summer 2014. It makes me a little sad because there is a chance my husband and I will have moved by then, but I hope to get a chance to be there. Maybe I will have to just makes sure I make a special trip for it. :)

They say they will need 8 months to a year just for the artisans from India to come in and carve the columns/shrines and paint the interior, and looking at the size of the hall I believe it. One wonderful thing about the Indianapolis Temple is that it has three enormous skylights above so you can see the Shikhara (Is that the right word? for the "Steeple"?) from inside the temple. (Picture in the link below is the view standing in front of the Shiva Lingam Shrine looking back toward the entrance to the hall.)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/481124_268054449971346_64324739_n.jpg

Eastern Mind
24 September 2012, 11:23 AM
Vannakkam: I like the skylights, it'll give it an almost open-air feeling. We have a small skylight here, and there was a coincidence/miracle with it. Totally unintentionally, when you back away from it, and the moolasthanam, it aligns directly with the kalastham on top. Somebody discovered that alignment well after construction was complete. Yours will be much different' Who is the presiding deity there? a Sivalingam?

That would be the same spring/summer I'm planning to go see my son in Ottawa, so maybe a mahakumbhabishekham is in order en route. One never knows.

Thanks for the picture.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 11:38 AM
Who is the presiding deity there? a Sivalingam?

Thanks for the picture.

Aum Namasivaya

Well...that's a good question. I think the Temple tells people that it's not oriented toward any Sect. However the hall is built with a great deal of emphasis on Shiva (in the center at one end of the hall) Durga (she will be to his right) and Balaji (he is to Shiva's left). The other deities will line the walls on either side going back toward the entrance. If you look at the photo in the last post you will see the bare concrete shrines of the smaller deities. The shrines for Shiva/Durga/Balaji go almost to the ceiling. I can't imagine a sculpture big enough to fill them. Below is a diagram of what is planned for the interior. I believe the positions of the smaller deities have changed somewhat, but they will all be there. (and now that I look at it again, Nataraj will be there too!) You will need to use your cursor to magnify the image.

http://www.htci.org/building_plans/HTCI_First_Floor.jpg

Eastern Mind
24 September 2012, 12:20 PM
Vannakkam: It will depend on what kind of priesthood is present, (training varies, more on the esoterics, than chanting, etc.) but generally speaking, whomever is enshrined in the main center (that's the moolasthanam) will dominate, so this will be primarily a Siva temple, with definite Smarta leanings, to accommodate Hindus of all sects. Personally, I like the ones that do have just one moolasthanam. I just get a more focussed energy that way. Some have more than one, in equal size, like you witnessed in Chicago, but without any divider.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 12:34 PM
Vannakkam: It will depend on what kind of priesthood is present, (training varies, more on the esoterics, than chanting, etc.) but generally speaking, whomever is enshrined in the main center (that's the moolasthanam) will dominate, so this will be primarily a Siva temple, with definite Smarta leanings, to accommodate Hindus of all sects. Personally, I like the ones that do have just one moolasthanam. I just get a more focussed energy that way. Some have more than one, in equal size, like you witnessed in Chicago, but without any divider.

Aum Namasivaya

I think I'll need to visit more temples before I can decide which set up I prefer. I did like being able to circumambulate (what is the word for that again?) individual deities which was possible in Chicago for a few of them. in Indianapolis, the deities are seated together on the same stepped altar with some degree of hierarchy. (Radha Krishna are the largest statues so they are centered. Shiva Lingam is in front of them and the other deities fan out on either side) It is possible for one to walk around the entire group but connection to one's Ishta-Deva is lacking, however it does have the unusual and interesting benefit if feeling like one big happy family which give positive energy. I don't have a picture to explain, because I don't take pictures at the temple (The links above are from the Temple's website and facebook page)

I am looking forward to visiting the Sri Lakshmi Temple in Ashland in November. Let's hope I can borrow a car;)

Thank you for your input, EM.

Eastern Mind
24 September 2012, 12:37 PM
circumambulate (what is the word for that again?)

Vannakkma: Pradakshina. Yes, I like being able to do that too. It makes for a nice period of preparation.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
24 September 2012, 12:40 PM
Vannakkma: Pradakshina. Yes, I like being able to do that too. It makes for a nice period of preparation.

Aum Namasivaya

I knew it started with a "P". Thank you!