PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Arangetram!

Believer
30 September 2012, 02:28 PM
Namaste,

Yes, last evening we attended yet another arangetram.

For those not familiar with the term, here is a brief introduction: A dance student, after many years of training, is deemed by the dance teacher (Dance Guru) to be fit to give a stage performance. This first stage performance, or Arangetram, is a major event for youngsters, as it more or less certifies that the student has reached a professional level of proficiency. The performance is accompanied by a singer(s) and musicians. The common instruments accompanying a dance recital are violin, mridangam, flute and another clinging instrument (something like kartals).

In North America, people invite their friends and family from all over, including from India, to join them for the event. The cost for the evening can vary from about $15000 to $30000, depending on whether the musicians are local, or are invited from India; and the number of people in the family who are given pre-paid ticket to come from India. Other expenses include the hall rental, snacks and cold/hot drinks provided before the event, at the intermission and the dinner catered at the end of the recital.

It was an enchanting evening as the young lady, after 9 years of learning and practice, gave an amazing performance. The singer and the musicians were very well accomplished and the Bharat Natyam pieces selected displayed the wide range of abilities that the dancer possessed. The only disappointment with such performances is that because of the lack of familiarity of the audience with the various facial expressions and mudras, the story being told through the dance gets lost. The Bharat Natyam teachers have perfected everything else in terms of communicating their art to their students, but have not bothered much to devise ways to involve the audience beyond enjoying the dance. There is not much comprehension among the viewers about the storyline.

It is a matter of great pride for the youngsters to put so much effort in learning the art form of Indian dance, and for the parents to support them by taking them for dance classes for years and years and then to spend a big chunk of change to showcase their daughter's abilities. I hope that the successive generations of Indian immigrants to the West can keep this art form alive here.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
30 September 2012, 03:01 PM
In North America, people invite their friends and family from all over, including from India, to join them for the event. The cost for the evening can vary from about $15000 to $30000,

Vannakkam Believer: That's cheap it seems to me. Glad you enjoyed the show. These young girls have such commitment, and usually fully know that they will retire early. I've been to a few here too.

Aum Namasivaya

McKitty
30 September 2012, 03:14 PM
Vanakkam,

Thank you very much for all the information ! I am very fond of Bharata Natyam since many years....Since it's impossible to have classes in my country, I try to learn alone and with internet the posture, the mudras...But I'll never be a good dancer like those girls ! It must be a very beautiful event to witness...

I hope one day to be able to see an Arangetram, or at last a real live Bharata Natyam performance !

Aum Namah Shivaya

Believer
30 September 2012, 09:00 PM
Namaste,

That's cheap it seems to me.
I think you are right, my numbers are low. With the food being served all through the evening, the decorations complete with a rangoli, and flowers and the cost of having family/musicians visit from India, it must be quite a bit more.

Pranam.