PDA

View Full Version : Kolam/Rangoli iconography

Jodhaa
02 October 2012, 11:03 AM
Namaste!

As this year's Navaratri celebration approaches (my first) I want to draw a kolam/ rangoli design at the entrance to my home. The design I want to do incorporates iconography from MaaLakshmi, MaaSaraswati and MaaDurga. I know that Durga is depicted on both a Tiger and a Lion depending on the artist's interpretation. I think more of the Tiger when I think of India but I wanted to know what others think. Is a Lion more accurate? Is it one of those things that doesn't matter too much?

As a anecdote, at the Temple of Greater Chicago, Maa Durga is beautifully sculpted on the the back of a equally gorgeous male Lion. Yet, behind the shrine on the wall is a picture of Durga in the same pose riding a Tiger. This would lead me to believe that the difference doesn't matter but I thought I would ask. Perhaps there is a subtle difference in the attributes associated with a Lion verses a Tiger?

Also, if anyone wants to use this thread to post images of their favorite Kolams/Rangoli's that would be very inspirational I think!

Peace!

Arjuni
02 October 2012, 11:47 AM
Namasté,

Regarding the matter of lion versus tiger, other members will have to address that question; regarding rangoli, it is difficult to choose a "favourite" design in such a beautiful art form.

I thought you might enjoy this e-book (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/rangoli/rangoliHPfree.pdf) about rangoli. I read it a few years ago and found it interesting, especially the large section of rangoli designs with their meanings. (I believe the Henna Sooq website also has information about how to systematically create the elabourate patterns traced in henna, which might be useful for creating beautiful flourishes on rangoli also.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Jodhaa
02 October 2012, 12:17 PM
Namasté,

Regarding the matter of lion versus tiger, other members will have to address that question; regarding rangoli, it is difficult to choose a "favourite" design in such a beautiful art form.

I thought you might enjoy this e-book (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/rangoli/rangoliHPfree.pdf) about rangoli. I read it a few years ago and found it interesting, especially the large section of rangoli designs with their meanings. (I believe the Henna Sooq website also has information about how to systematically create the elabourate patterns traced in henna, which might be useful for creating beautiful flourishes on rangoli also.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thank you for the reference! I will have to look into it.

Peace

Jodhaa
16 October 2012, 11:21 AM
Namaste everyone!

Well, I have finished my first Kolam/Rangoli design. Although it deviates from traditional geometric designs I think I'm pleased with how it turned out. I meant to do it yesterday, however I suddenly became nervous that my neighbors would be offended or think it was an eye sore, so I resisted. But then I asked Devi to help me overcome my self-consciousness and gathered the courage to do it. I live in an apartment complex where there are four doors facing inward towards a covered patio, with steps leading to the street level, so it's very much in everyone's face when they leave their homes, but the concrete of the patio is divided into 4 quadrants and I was sure only to draw on my own. And if they don't wish to step on it, I left the areas near the steps clear. I improvised and used regular sidewalk chalk. We'll see if anyone makes a fuss. I live in a conservative state that is predominantly Christian, so who knows.

Peace!

Eastern Mind
16 October 2012, 12:46 PM
Vannakkam: Your state certainly has the best name to be Indianized.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
16 October 2012, 02:18 PM
Vannakkam: Your state certainly has the best name to be Indianized.

Aum Namasivaya

:D My husband teases me whenever I go out the door to Temple. "Have fun in Hindianapolis, dear.":D

I always do;)

It's weird because if we lived back on the East Coast I don't think I would have had any reservations about expressing myself this way (with Kolams). I think there's just something about the concentration of mega-churches that makes me nervous. I mean, everyone has been perfectly kind, so I'm probably not giving people enough credit.