PDA

View Full Version : Krishna, The Word “Avatar” – Where in the Vedas or BG?

ShivaFan
10 October 2012, 09:14 PM
Namaste

Firstly, from a Saiva I want to express to those devotees known as the “Gaudiyas” and the “Hare Krishnas” my heartfelt love as fellow Hindu. All Hindus are my friends forever, whether Saiva, Vaishnav or Shakta - there are so many things that tie us together, and we have much more in common than differences.

I want to have an enjoyable conversation! I mean no disrespect, and I love your Gurus - for example I love Prabhupada very much if you count Prabhupad as yours – what amazing gifts Prabhupad brought to America! And while I am interested in the views of all Gaudiyas, I thought the HK section would be the best place to ask at this time.

But I say “no disrepect” to all Vaishnavas in general, because I will state right off, I do not see the Gaudiya Teachings, revelations, mystic communions with the Divine, as what some call strictly “Vaishnava” but rather I see a great deal of monotheism in a pleasant alignment with all aspects of the Divine together, and your beloved Krishna as God of Own Right and not simply or “only an ‘incarnation’ of Vishnu”.

Now that I have been visiting the HDF for a few months, I have decided this is probably a wonderful opportunity to open a discussion on this with Gaudiyas. That is what is so wonderful about the HDF! Some of you Gaudiyas may already know my background, so you know I do not mean to be a thorn to anyone, and especially those such as yourself. Nor am I a stranger to your teachings, even though I am a very simple person and vastly ignorant, I have had the opportunity to have had wonderful things that were shared with me in the past which I am grateful for and moments that there are not words to express.

Nothing will change my current path of Hinduism, my love for Shiva and Parvati, but in some ways we do overlap, such as my devotion to Hanuman and thus the Ramayana. And of course, I love Krishna, I love Chaitanya, I know that all of these pastimes are real indeed. Just because I do not “agree” or understand everything from your view, does not mean that I do not love Krishna and Radha. You may not know of Valli and Muruga, but let it be known that Bhakti is found in many places and I believe that this form of yoga is the best path for Westerners who are now looking East. And it is a good day indeed, when travelling far from family and friends to find a Temple of Krishna listed in the phone book and nearby within driving distance when there is no other temple to be found in the city of the West, a place to take shelter in and a little peace if you will when no other peace can be found.

But I would like to ask something regarding this concept of “avatar”. Because personally, it often projects Krishna as the “lesser of Vishnu” perhaps, though not in a negative way, and Krishna seems unique to me, and serves a very special communion opportunity for humans.

This is probably going to start a fire storm, but I do not mean to be controversial, and in all truth I mean this as a discussion with the Gaudiyas and not with others who are more of the “Vaishnava” (non-Gaudiya) Sampradayas (though it won’t surprise me if some of the “Vaishnavas” chime in). I have noticed the Gaudiyas do not follow the “caste by birth” concept, and have a very different concept of defining things such as “what is a shudra?” and such, that Gaudiyas are very much open to everyone as a potential soul who can transform their gunas, and in fact even be directly transformed or saved by the Divine intervention. I notice Gaudiyas are both strict, but loving at the same instance. So I am wondering about their point of view in regards to this word “avatar” as used by some who try to put Krishna “into a box” if you will.

Gita 4:7-8 is translated by some “for the protection of the good and the destruction of the wicked, for the establishment of Dharma I am born from age to age”. Some claim this as the avatar statement, and it means incarnation, which they explain as literally meaning God in human form.

I believe Ram did come, but I believe Ram was part-Deva and part-Humanity which is not a contradiction to also say one can be “part” Deva and fully Deva at the same moment. Ram does fit this example of coming to protect the good, destroy the wicked, establish Dharma – so this makes sense to me, and that this all happened in this world, this very material place in locations in India. Rama to me is, and will be the “Perfect Man”.

Obviously since Krishna told this to Arjuna, the moment of Krishna in the role of Dharma would apply as well.

I believe Krishna did come, but my true sense of Krishna is not fully developed.

Because I am often criticized by those who generally call themselves “Vaishnavas”, without even seeking such “jalpa”, but rarely am I attacked by those who call themselves “Gaudiyas” who seem much more loving, and much more kinder and less “attack mode” if you will.

The subject matter of Krishna is too broad in so many aspects for such a thread, and that is not my intent.

My dilemma has to do with “avatar”. I do NOT see this as the same as “manifestation” (srijamy). So here is where we may have some differences, but I am interested to listen. Also, as stated, I do NOT see Krishna exactly in the same light as just an “avatar” of Vishnu. Nor, as a “temporary form” of the “Supreme Brahman”.

As far as becoming a human like form is concerned, I am actually sort of surprised at the over emphasis on this by “Vaishnavas” (not Gaudiyas). Becoming a human “form” is not difficult to do, for example by Siddha or Siddhanta yogis who can pass between ethereal form(s) to other human form(s). Such ability is not necessarily exclusive to the word “avatar”. Saints can do this, and manifestations of certain lilas can become so which have nothing to do with the so-called “dasavatars”. This is of course an outstanding and amazing ability, but in the overall context of things not exclusive to Vishnu and not the end of to be all, and the word “avatar” is not even used in most of these cases. Other words using “rupa” in the semantic are often used instead.

Basically the context of “avatar” is when the Divine transports and incarnates from the spiritual world into this current material creation and thus “avatar”. Some translate the word as “AVA” = Down, “TARA” = To Cross, e.g. to cross down.

However, the word doesn’t occur in the Vedas now that I think about it. And, reading Jayaram V’s BG, and the Sanskrit in Prabhupad’s version, I do not see the actual word “avatara” even mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita at all directly in Sanskrit. And the BG is a Sacred Text typically used as an “introduction” to Hinduism. If avatar was a key to the kingdom, why is the word not used?

In fact, it is not even used in the classic BG verse quoted above that many use to write commentary on regarding Krishna Avatara. The word does appear in puranic texts such as the Bhagavat Purana (e.g. “Dasavatara”). I do not deny the word exists, but to be honest I do not see it applicable to what Krishna taught Arjun on the battlefield.

When I read the Gita or Bhagavad Gita (part of the Mahabharata), the words of Krishna regarding His profound statements to Arjun which I treasure as does any Hindu, they seem to have nothing to do with “avatar” but rather as if the Brahman is speaking and not Vishnu as I normally know Vishnu personally, or the Cosmic Vishnu is revealed which seems different than the four-armed Vishnu.

Even saying that, I am not expressing my feeling on this very well (as if my “feelings” matter, which they do not, but I am just being honest about a perspective that personally goes back decades regarding this matter) – because the dramatic point of “revelation” comes in the form of the Vishvarupa and not Brahman.

So I am thinking, perhaps the Gaudiyas have something there. That is different from what some modern Hindus call “traditional Vaishnava” truth. I would be interested in hearing an explanation on this, from erudites such as Smaranam or others who appear to be Gaudiya and others who are HK in background. I am about listening, not arguing.

I see Krishna as one who came to humans, without question. But the Gita does not seem to support Krishna as an “avatar” of Vishnu at all. Perhaps I am wrong. Also, even the word “Brahman” is not the complete context, since it is of a different tone than the Upanishads. It seems to be inclusive of dualism and not exclusively monism.

I have no intention of “converting” from Saiva to HK, and we all know Hinduism is not about “conversions” but discovery, awaking.

We see in the Gita where Vishnu is described as having the form Vishvarupa. Some translate this as the Cosmic Form. There is even a temple in California for example that proclaims itself as the temple of Cosmic Religion. Unlike the Supreme Brahman, this Cosmic Form seems more to align with a Vedic concept of an interwoven visible (not empty) universe and ties humans and this visible Cosmic world as an interwoven cosmos. This is different than Supreme Brahman. It might be translated as “having all shapes”. It is also a name of Shiva. It appears in the Vedas as one of the seven tongues of Agni. But one can argue that, this form of Vishnu revealed to Arjun, which appears as many shapes, Gods, colors, can certainly be viewed as Brahman inspired, but it leaves room for form, and allows for the mathakash (objects) within the akash (space) which I have learned more of lately from some postings by some well-principled and jyana based members, though I do not claim to have the complete understanding they may have and their perspective may be different than yours.

In one way, I see Krishna like vibhuti. I use vibhuti, which I put on my head, such as the vibhuti powder that comes from the Siva temple. The immediate power is felt, it is an experience. I have been to Vrindavan and Mathura and visited many temples, perhaps I should share some of my photos – I even have a small bit of red rock from the Banke Bihari Temple which seems to possess a lot of power.

I think this will be a delightful conversation!

Om Namah Sivaya

Achintya beda abheda
18 November 2012, 06:14 AM
Hare Krishna,
Namaste Shiva Fan,

As I finished reading your thread, this was the first sloka I could remember,
My Spiritual master Srila prabhupada quotes,
titiksavah karunikah
suhrdah sarva-bhutanam
ajata-satravah santah
sadhavah sadhu-bhusanah

This is the qualification of sadhu (saint). Sadhu is titiksava, tolerates all kinds of miserable conditions. He is sadhu. Because this is a place of miserable condition. A sadhu learns how to tolerate. Sadhu is never disturbed.
And I feel you are blessed by the lord shiva to have these qualities,

We welcome your respects towards Gaudiya vaishnavism.
From your thread I understood that, there is a lot of space to discuss over the supreme personality of Godhead Krishna (SPOGHK), special attention over incarnations or avataras, as times goes on let us consider them one by one.

Dear friend according to us - Gaudiyas, avatar is not the term to be used for anyone are everyone, there are certain qualifications required to recognize avataras as mentioned in scriptures, first of all let me be clear that apart from that Supreme lord when he appears here in this material world no one else can be called as avataras.

In SB 1.7.25 Arjuna says to the SPOGHK (when Aswattama releases the brahmastra at the end of Mahabharata),

Tatha aym cha avataras te bhuvo bhara jihirshaya
Swanam cha ananaya bhavanam anudhyanya cha asakrit.

"Thus Your descent as an incarnation is just to remove the burden of the world as well as for the benefit of Your own men and specially of those who are Your exclusive devotees, who are constantly rapt in meditation for You."

Avataras of many type namely, guna avatara, manvantara avatara, leela avatara, Saktya avesa avataras. For more details please refer to Chapter 8 : AVATARAS, in the book named Teachings of Lord Chaitanya.

About that mystic of the mystics SPOGHKrishna I would like to discuss a loooooooooooot in the next session. As we are in the mid of the DEEPOTSAVAM Festival, the arati for lord damodara is organised and everyone are welcome, that's the reason I'm in a bit hurry.
Thank you,
Jai Srila Prabhupada.

ranjitm
18 November 2012, 06:45 AM
pranam shivafan

Gaudiya vaishnavas - just like any other type of Vaishnavas- will raise an objection to the very concept that you have assimilated about an 'avatar'. An avatar - whether appearing in Naraka, on prithvi, or in the celestial spheres of indra, brahmadeva, etc.- retains His complete Godhood. Sri Ramachandra wasn't half-human or even human at all. He was full God. The word avatar may not necessarily come in the upanishads (now I dont know if it does), but the vedas certainly glorify Brahm as "You appear as a girl, you appear as a hunch-backed old man, etc." (forgive me for i do not recollect which upanshad it belongs to, but it certainly does to a well-known one. I ask you to take my word for it). So, really, God's ability to take different forms isn't limited to the idea traditionally conveyed by the term 'avatar'.

ranjitm
18 November 2012, 07:03 AM
The 'ordinary' four-armed form of Sri Vishnu is every bit as powerful or majestic as the visvarupa. In fact, realized d evotees state that the four-armed form is superior to the visvarupa because that form is beyond maya whereas the visvarupa manifests material existence within itself.

In brahma-sanghita, sri Brahmadeva praises Krishna as the Being within Whom infinite bruhmaandas move about like atoms. This inconceivable idea is corroborated by Puranas while they describe the Markandeya episode.

Markandeya, having received the boon of being immortal during pralaya, was floating on the waters of destruction. He saw, in the midst of those frothy waters, a huge banyan tree, unaffected by the water. On a leaf of that tree was lying bala-gopala. Markandeya was sucked into gopala's stomach and witnessed unlimited bruhmaandas floating there.

The visvarupa is attributed to Mahesvara Sadashiva and Bhagavati Durga, too. Does this signify that it is all a stilted way of depicting AV? No, it simply means that each of these three Divinities are God - and this is amply supported by purana.

Only that gaudiyas attribute full expression of divine energies or saktis to the form of Krishna. The devi-bhagavatam seems to agree to some extent...and the Shaiva puraanas talk of Goloka being next to the abode of Sadashiva - a feat made possible by the grace of Shankara.

ranjitm
18 November 2012, 07:15 AM
The BG seems to depict Krishna as a Being Who is not 'just' an avatar of Vishnu, because He speaks of Himself being the Supreme Brahm. He doesnt use the word Vishnu or Narayana. But that's hardly extra ordinary. Maha-kaali, for instance, is considered equal to Uma in all respects even though She manifested from a pore of Her body.

Similarly, all avatras like Rama, Varaha, etc. are equal to Krishna. Anyway, Sri Krishna states in the BG that He is the basis of Brahm. Brahmano hi pratishtha hum. So, yes, from the lay man's POV, Sri Krishna is not merely an avatar.

He is the para-brahm of the vedas Who maintains a form and is without form simultaneously. dva eva brahmano rupe murtanchaiva murtancha - smriti.

ShivaFan
23 November 2012, 05:33 PM
Namaste All

Thank you for such outstanding response, I am now going to take the time to absorb everything you shared. I hope other Gaudiyas also speak forward, and it is very beneficial.

Now I am wondering, what is the difference between Krishna and the very spot or Prakattya where He manifested such as before a pure devotee. It is said there is no difference from that point forward?

And what is the difference between and purport of, an Avatar and Priya-Priyatam? What is the use of an Avatar next to the Priya-Priyatam?

Om Namah Sivaya

anirvan
24 November 2012, 07:42 AM
If one will go through Bhagavatam mahapurana,this confusion of avatars will be solved.

Krishna was never an Avatara in contemporary sense.Vishnu is never Krishna.Infinite Vishnus are born out of Nirguna brahman during creation.Each vishnu is the authority and sustainer of one brahmanda.and infinite such brahmandas are there in saguna brahman.When required this Vishnu takes Avatara for purpose of destroying evils and establishment of Dharma.

There is an cosmic center of of nirguna-and saguna brahman which is at the transition between two. And this is the golaka/nityaloka which is the abode of Param-brahman Purusottam sachhidananda ghana VIGRAHA. Gaudiya call his Srikrishna.He is the Jagat-Guru,nitya-thakura.

And this Purusottama never takes Avatar for smaller things like -dharma sansthapanarthaya or eveil destruction.His main purpose was to teach the human the Achitya-bheda-bheda...how human can love divine by becoming divine.

He comes only once in a Kalpa,in 8th Dwapara(subahu-dwapara). There are 16 Dwapara,16 kali,16 satya,16tretya.and current kali is 8th kali of this Viswa-kalpa.

The Krishna of Mathura was never the Purusottam Bhagvan.he was Narayan-Vishnu,the vishnu avatar.

If you read bhagabat,Srikrishna was saying and promising to Radha that HE WILL NEVER PUT A SINGLE STEP OUT OF VRINDAVANA. When the Body of Krishna moved out of Vrindavana,Purusottama bhagvan was not in the body.

He came to the earth as Devaki-nandana in the Sukhma-sarira of Narayan vishnu.And left it when narayana vishnu left vrindavana.

One more time he again came to the body during Giving GITA teaching at Kurukshetra.

One can get details of the secret coming of Radha AND kRISHNA in description of Roopa Goswami and Bhagabat mahapurana.

brahma jijnasa
02 January 2013, 12:20 PM
I see Krishna as one who came to humans, without question. But the Gita does not seem to support Krishna as an “avatar” of Vishnu at all. Perhaps I am wrong. Also, even the word “Brahman” is not the complete context, since it is of a different tone than the Upanishads.

In Bhagavad-gītā 4.7 Lord Krishna says "I descend Myself".
Did you know that in the Bhagavad-gītā 11.24 Arjuna addresses Lord Krishna as "O Vishnu"?:

"O all-pervading Viṣṇu, seeing You with Your many radiant colors..."

From this we know that Lord Krishna is none other than Lord Vishnu. Thus we know that Lord Krishna is one of the forms of Lord Vishnu when descends.

The Supreme Lord is in the srutis as well as in the Gita addressed as the Supreme Brahman.
Bhagavad-gītā 10.12 "You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead (param brahman or Supreme Brahman)".

regards

ShivaFan
06 January 2013, 04:36 AM
Namaste Gaudiya Vaishnavas
|
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AVATAR, "Supreme" AVATAR - not sure the word for this, and AMSHA or "POTENCY" (of Devas or Devi)

These have been very wonderful and engaging answers and clarifications. I think some are also clearly saying Krsna is not just an "avatar" at all, perhaps something like a "Param-Avatar" (I made that word up, sorry!).

And though I made up my own word for the sake of zeroing in on some of the discussion, I am seeing a viewpoint that for example distinguishes "avatar" of Krishna from, for example Rama.

Now I was reading the Skanda Purana today, and the following thoughts came to my mind and I am wondering how Gaudiya's see this. I fully admit, I do not know Sanskrit so this could be in error, but also I want to say it is not my opinion but what I am being told and what has been read.

There is a Difference between “Avatars” and “Amsas”. Some say an Amsa or Amsha is a “partial avatar”, but “partial” is a conveint English word that I do not think captures the full endowment of what an Amsa is what I have been told and what has been read. Not that I totally object to this definition per say, it is that the English word does not convey the actual meaning. Yes, the Sanskrit word “amsa” is translated as “part” – but this is not exactly the same as partial which can convey “less than”. Perhaps “facet” is a better English word, or “differentiated” (as opposed to undifferentiated) or perhaps even “potency”. Or rather, it is better to clarify things by saying that a Deva or Devi for example can still be fully manifest at the very same time an Amsa of the Deva or Devi is present in another location, and that a Deva or Devi or even an Avatar can communicate with an Amsa even though the Amsa is a manifestation of the Deva, Devi or Avatar. This is possible as God can be in two places at once. An Amsa is not “partial Avatar”, but is different from the term Avatar. For example, as we learn from the Skanda Purana, an Amsa or “alternate form” with a Monkey face was foretold would be placed before a half-human and half-deva in the Avatar of Vishnu (e.g. Rama), and various Devas and Suras and Vahanas would assume Amsas which can be defined as alternate forms or features, e.g. Nandi came down as an Amsa as well as various Devas assumed ‘Amsas’ or alternate forms like Indra as Vali, Brahma as Jambavaan, Surya as Sugriva, the Eleventh Rudra i.e. Lord Shiva as Hanuman, Seshanaga as Lakshman, Vishnu’s ‘Bhujadanda’ or shoulders as Bharat and Shatrughna, Brahma Vidya and Vedavati in earlier birth as Devi Sita. Note – “Brahma Vidya” means the Science of Brahma, a form of meditation that includes all sciences and is a path to "knower of Brahman” and is an epitaph of Devi by some Sampradayas (see Ramanuja). However, it is also the name of the Book held in the hand of Saraswati Devi. Shri Sharadamba is a Devi that is considered being referenced in this scripture by some, She is also considered a Devi of Learning and an aspect of Saraswati Devi (see Ramanuja). However, the reference to Sita being Vedavati in an earlier birth is reference to Devi Lakshmi, Who as Vedavati was the daughter of Brahmarishi Kusadhvaja the Son of Brihaspati the Guru to the Devas. The name “Vedavati” means the Vati of House of the Vedas. Wanting Vishnu as Her partner, She was yogini who performed meditation and even though She was dressed as a yogini wearing the hide of a black antelope with Her hair in dreadlocks of Jata, She was of extreme beauty. So much so, that Ravana who encountered Her while She was in meditation became captivated by Her beauty and asks Her to be a wife, which She rejects and upon being grabbed by Her hair by Ravana, She sets Herself on fire in front of Ravana. Because She set Herself on fire, She is also called Agni’s “wife”, and also Swaha (which is said when offerings are thrown into the sacrificial fire). This specific aspect of Lakshmi is also known as Padmavati, who is seen sitting on a lotus and holding a lotus in both Her upper hands while Her lower hands are in the pose Abhaya or Fearlessness and Varada or Benediction. It is said that because Lord Vishnu gave respects to a sage Bhrigu Maharishi who had actually insulted Vishnu, Shree (Lakshmi) did not like this and She went into penance by leaving to Patala Loka in the first year, then doing tapasya and renouncing all things being immersed in the study of the true meaning of Vedas for the next 12 years, and then the year after that She again emerged free from Patala Loka by emerging from a Golden Lotus. Thus Her total time away from the world was 14 years including 12 years of tapasya. So it is said that Sita Devi was an Amsa of Lakshmi, that is an alternate form or facet of Lakshmi but not an Avatar. In fact, an Avatar is one who has a specific mission that, due to the nature of souls which can ascend towards light or enlightenment but also descend into darkness or become demons, comes time and again to reestablish Dharma.

Yet also now I understanding from Gaudiyas, there is a difference between "Avatar" and what I would call "Supreme Avatar". And we also have "Amsa".

For Vaishnavas, there is what seems a direct use of the word Amsa or Amsha in the Bhagavad Gita, chapter 15, verse 7. Translation of this is open to some controversy. I am not authorized nor do I know Sanskrit to give a translation. Prabhupad translates the portion where we find the word amsha as “fragmented parts” in relation to the souls which are “fragmented parts” of the eternal, the Gita Society as the verse fully translated as “The embodied soul in its own local existence is certainly an eternal part of Me, with the mind as the sixth of the senses carried in its material position”. Here is another translation of this verse:

mamaivamso jiva-loke jiva-bhutah sanatanah

“But the individual soul, the jivatma in the body of living beings is the integral part of the universal Spirit”

or

“An eternal portion of Myself having become a living soul in the world of life …(draws to itself the five senses with the mind for the sixth, abiding in Nature)”

or

“You are the spark of the Divine”

or

“The jiva (soul) in the body is an eternal portion of Myself. (Seated in the prakrti, it attracts the (five) senses, the mind being sixth)”

Whatever is the best translation, I think the use of “amso” in mamaivamso and Amsa are the same – just as the individual jiva soul is a potency of the Divine, so the Divine also manifests in Amshas which are potencies of the Devas or Devi that serve certain functions.

Yes?

Om Namah Sivaya

ShivaFan
06 January 2013, 01:20 PM
Namaste

My own quote: "I think some are also clearly saying Krsna is not just an "avatar" at all, perhaps something like a "Param-Avatar" (I made that word up, sorry!)"

Actually, do the Gaudiya Vaishnavas or ISKCON read and follow the Garga Samhita the narrations by Sage Garga on Krishna (different from the Jyoti book of the same name) which belongs to the Pancharatragama and seems to have come much later than the Vedas? It appears that ISKCON does, not sure about all Gaudiyas. This has an entire break down of avatar types (though as with anything in Sanskrit, the English translations of the Sanskrit words do not mean the translation is accurate or conveys the ENTIRE or actual meaning, e.g. "partial" and such). In there, there is actually a word Paripurnatama Avatar, e.g. some are just avatars, some are Purna Avatars such as Rama ("full Avatar" with nine rasas), and Krishna is Paripurnatama Avatar e.g. sort of like "Supreme Avatar" though this word can be translated better.

So it appears, at least among some Gaudiyas, in fact they do not agree with many "Vaishnavas" who see all "avatars" as Vishnu, but make clear distinctions.

Om Namah Sivaya

brahma jijnasa
07 January 2013, 07:52 PM
Namaste ShivaFan

As for the Garga Samhita I already commented on Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective.

The terms "avatara" and "amsa" may be correlated, but not necessarily.
Avatara means "He who descends". Amsa means "a part or portion".
What kind of avatar is Lord Krishna in comparison with other forms of Lord Vishnu you can read in my posts on Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective.

Regarding Goddess.
The Supreme Lord has His eternal consort or goddess. Gaudiya Vaishnavas say that Sri Radha or Srimati Radharani is eternal consort of Lord Krishna. Similarly goddess Lakshmi is the eternal consort of Lord Narayana. Similarly Goddess Uma is the eternal consort of Lord Sadashiva.
You should notice that I say "eternal". It simply means that she does not leave her Lord practically never. Even when the Lord descends into this world (remember what I said to mean avatara), his consort will follow him:

The Vishnu Purana: Book I, Chapter IX:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp044.htm

"For in like manner as the lord of the world, the god of gods, Janárddana, descends amongst mankind (in various shapes), so does his coadjutrix Śrí. Thus when Hari was born as a dwarf, the son of Adití, Lakshmí appeared from a lotus (as Padmá, or Kamalá); when he was born as Ráma, of the race of Bhrigu (or Paraśuráma), she was Dharańí; when he was Rághava (Rámachandra), she was Sítá; and when he was Krishńa, she became Rukminí. In the other descents of Vishńu, she is his associate. If he takes a celestial form, she appears as divine; if a mortal, she becomes a mortal too, transforming her own person agreeably to whatever character it pleases Vishńu to put on."

Now, you should understand something. In Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective I have already explained that all forms of Lord Krishna are actually his amsa or parts and thus His manifestations or expansions. Gaudiya Vaishnavas explained, and thus the scriptures say, that all these Goddesses are actually expansions of Sri Radha who is the original Goddess just like Lord Krishna is the source of all forms of Lord Vishnu and as such the original Lord.

Regarding Bhagavad Gita 15.7
Individual living entity or jiva is said to be an amsa or particle of the Lord.
There is a difference between amsas that are Lord Vishnu and those that are jivas. Amsas that are Lord Vishnu are usually especially powerful. Jivas are also amsas of the Lord but with a relatively small power.
Amsas that are jivas are called vibhinnamsa "separated parts" because they are not the Lord Himself. Jiva is not Lord Vishnu, but is subordinate to Him.
Amsas that are Lord Vishnu are called svamsa or "a personal expansion or personal part" of the Lord. They are Lord Vishnu Himself, personally.

It is important to know that all the amsas are eternal whether they are the Lord Himself or not the Lord Himself but the jivas.
Even when jiva attain liberation it will continue to exist as jiva because it is described in Bhagavad Gita 15.7 as sanatana or eternal.

regards

ShivaFan
07 January 2013, 10:51 PM
Namaste brahma jijnasa

Thank you so much for this detailed information in (both) your postings. This is why I love the HDF, and this is why I love Mother India. There is so much adventure, a "little boy" like me (I am now 56) can never get enough.

Jai Maa India, ki Jai!

Om Namah Sivaya

ShivaFan
07 January 2013, 10:53 PM
... by the way, I have a great friend from Belarus, which isn't Croatia but I really like Russians, too! I bet I like Croatians, too!

brahma jijnasa
08 January 2013, 10:35 AM
... by the way, I have a great friend from Belarus, which isn't Croatia but I really like Russians, too! I bet I like Croatians, too!

:D

regards