PDA

View Full Version : Some questions...

PraveenT
29 October 2012, 12:48 AM
Namaste everyone.

So I got through my akasha problem by taking Sruti's word for it. I'm sure if Brahman says it's beyond akasha, it's true. :p

I have some other doubts though:

1. Do the Samhitas speak of Advaita? The Upanishads speak of Advaita, but are the Upanishads supported by the Samhitas?

2. Isn't it true that other than the Taittiriya and Isha Upanishads, no other Upanishads have had the methods of preservation present in the Samhita portion (like the ghana patha, etc). So that would mean that the rest of the Upanishads may have interpolations in them since they don't have the preservation systems that the Samhita has right? (This is the reason why the Arya Samaj rejects everything other than the Samhita portions as not being Sruti AFAIK, while traditionally, the Veda includes the Samhita, Brahmana, Aranyaka and Upanishad sections. I guess this doubt can be solved if the Samhitas speak of Advaita.

3. Soma is not a plant right? My understanding is that it is a synonym for Ananda. The plant being used in the rituals are simply a display of the Ananda gained through Self realisation?

4. What are Vedic shakhas? Is it like the Veda is available in its original form today (as revealed by the Rishis, not belonging to any school, directly from the Rishis) and in addition to this original form different 'versions' from different schools are available? Or is it that the Veda is only available in the form of versions of particular schools and not in its original form?

Thanks. :)

devotee
29 October 2012, 10:54 PM
Namaste PT,

1. Do the Samhitas speak of Advaita? The Upanishads speak of Advaita, but are the Upanishads supported by the Samhitas?

Yes. The Samhita portion of Yajurveda and Atharva Veda have verses supporting Advaita. You may go through my posts on Samhita portion in VedAs in this thread :

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=9647&page=8 from post number 75 onwards.

[quote]2. Isn't it true that other than the Taittiriya and Isha Upanishads, no other Upanishads have had the methods of preservation present in the Samhita portion (like the ghana patha, etc). So that would mean that the rest of the Upanishads may have interpolations in them since they don't have the preservation systems that the Samhita has right?

Who can say it authoritatively ? No one. The 108 Upanishads mentioned in Muktika Upanishad have been considered authentic and authoritative by almost all of the Six schools of VedAnta.

3. Soma is not a plant right? My understanding is that it is a synonym for Ananda. The plant being used in the rituals are simply a display of the Ananda gained through Self realisation?

Soma appears to be a plant from which Soma juices were extracted ... in most of the verses of the VedAs but in some places it appears that there is a hidden meaning of Soma and it is not merely a plant.

Please see these verses (not complete verses but the relevant parts alone) from Rig Veda:

10.85.1 The earth is upheld by truth; the Heaven is supported by the sun; the Adityas stay firm in their position because of the eternal Universal order; and Soma is placed in the Heaven by the eternal Universal Order.  
10.85.2 The Adityas are powerful due to Soma, the Earth is mighty because of Soma, and Soma has got his place in Heaven in the midst of these Nakshatras.
10.85.3 When they extract the juice of the plant, he who drinks its juice regards the polant as Soma, but no one can consume that Soma which the possessors of divine knowledge know to be true Soma.
1.91.5 O Soma, you are nourisher of grat men, destroyer of Vritra and form of great power.
9.19.22 O Soma, increase our luck. You and Indra both are Cow protectors and Lord of all.
9.26.3 Soma are lord of all, doer of all karmas and support of all.
9.61.6 O Soma, you are the Lord of the world.
9.68.3 Soma created Earth and Sky and irrigated them with their juices for giving them sufficient powers. 
9.73.6 The fast moving rays of Soma were born with space together.
9.86.19 These Soma are the nourishers of the protectors of well beings of the stotas,. They give birth to Sun and water. 
9.86.21 Somas create the worlds.
9.86.22 These Somas alone created Surya.
9.86.28-29 O Lord of the world, all Jeevas are born by your tejas. You support the world and the directions. ... You are the knower of the world.
9.86.46 These Somas supported the Sky and fixed it.
9.96.5 These Somas are creators of Sky, Earth, Agni, Surya, Indra and the Vishnu. 

4. What are Vedic shakhas? Is it like the Veda is available in its original form today (as revealed by the Rishis, not belonging to any school, directly from the Rishis) and in addition to this original form different 'versions' from different schools are available? Or is it that the Veda is only available in the form of versions of particular schools and not in its original form?

As far as I know, the entire Vedas are available to us without any distortions. However, the different schools have different interpretations of the VedAs.

OM