PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I Wish I Was Indian...

Webimpulse
05 November 2012, 07:30 PM
Namaste all,

In light of the upcoming elections here in the USA tomorrow, I figured I'd share some of my thoughts on nationality and one's personal identity in relation to it. (Hopefully this is an appropriate forum for what I am saying here, but if it isn't, mods, feel free to move it.)

There are times when I wish I wasn't born an American. Even if you forget the present day sins the world holds Americans responsible for, there's America's sordid past which heaps even more guilt on my shoulders. It just seems...unfair, that I would be born an American since I neither have the strength to fix what's wrong or fortitude to endure the guilt of what I'm responsible for.

Being indoctrinated into this sort of lifestyle makes me so addicted to it that the mere thought of giving up any of it is enough to set my mind into a tailspin. I try to make it right in whatever way I can, but none of it seems to be enough. It never is because I can't seem to find the strength to do what is necessary. Whatever that is...

I guess that's why I'm so envious of India and its people. I know they're not perfect, still being human, but they seem to have done more good and are worth more to the world than I ever could be. I want to have a reason to be proud of myself, like they do...

Maybe some of my thoughts here are delusional, but I felt the need to share them here. It is not my intention to offend, and I am sorry if I do, I just...well, I need an outlet for these feelings.

Jodhaa
05 November 2012, 07:58 PM
Namaste, Webimpulse

I can sympathize with your feelings, but I also know that to be ashamed of one's origin serves very little purpose in terms of progressing forward. We are born where we are born, according to karma and while we may not like the association our country has globally, every birth is an opportunity to do better, to experience something necessary for our spiritual evolution and to overcome the problems we are raised with due to our culture.

I have often wished I was born in another part of the world for the reason that I would more likley be bilingual. In the USA, where elementary age second language education is sparse at best, there was little hope of that happening. But I have to remind myself that there are real benefits to being born in the world I was born in, as well as problems, but the problems can be overcome. As an adult, if I wish to learn a second language, I can. If I am disgusted with my country's overall energy waste and consumption, I can change the way I live. This might not change the view the world has of my country, but it helps me on a small level to evolve so that, God willing, in my next birth, I get a little closer to the ultimate goal.

So I say, rather then be ashamed of your background, look to what you wish to improve about yourself and your life. If you believe that India, as a whole has done better for the world, what is it about how the Indian's live that you admire? Can you adopt new practices that make you feel like you are doing good for the world too?

My husband and often dream about how life would be better in some other country or another. But honestly, there is no "land of milk and honey". For every benefit, there is a downside, so what you need to ask yourself is, what benefits/disadvantages are the most important to me? Because no matter where you go, you will encounter the beautiful and the ugly. It's just a question of whether you can handle the forms that the ugly come in.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I think it is something that a lot of western converts encounter eventually.

Peace!

ShivaFan
06 November 2012, 12:54 AM
Namaste

To be honest, I get confused with words such as ashamed unless it specially pertains to myself - for example let's say I say something mean about some innocent elderly person who happens to be standing un-beknownst to me directly behind my back, then I turn around and realize what I have done, I would be ashamed of MYSELF (e.g. Shame with an "a" in front of it, directed at myself).

Ashamed is different than embarrassed. Now take the same situation, I say something mean about the President of the United States, and I turn around and the guy is standing right behind me. I might be embarrassed, turn red faced, but not ashamed.

Not that I would ever do the first example, perhaps the second yes.

I might SHAME ( e.g. "shame on you little boy for throwing that rock!") others for doing bad things, but ashamed is a personal state regarding oneself, it could even pertain to generic things such as "I am ashamed of my messy room" but even that is more personal and once it expands outward it becomes less of a matter of being ashamed and more of a matter of trying to "fix the problem" or "spit on it". For example, if a particular city is full of low lifes and scum bags, I am not ashamed of it. I didn't cause the problem, they did. I might want to fix it, or just " spit on them" and walk away (depends on the situation).

Ashamed to be an American? This only makes sense to me if, for example, I am in ANOTHER country for example and someone is making a point of saying he or she is an American and then they do something really stupid, rude, or worse to or in front of those in that country. Then I might be ashamed, but that is more of a fear or embarrassment that the other may think me to be like that stupid American. But for the most part, blanketing oneself with identities to the extreme of feeling ashamed when personally you have nothing to do with isn't beneficial to yourself or even to "fixing the problem".

Just do your best, it is all one can ask. The thing about Hinduism is, it can live anywhere, and eventually will it is only a matter of time. One day, it will even be in Mecca. But there are stupid, mean, or even evil people everywhere. but you don't have to be one yourself. And why burden oneself with things you didn't do, just do your best and "be good". It really isn't very complicated. Singing bhajans is a great way to succeed in life. It is also a great way to win friends and influence others. After you sing bhajans, sometimes you glow and others see you and they all of a sudden are happy to be around you.

So drop ashamed and sing!

Om Namah Sivaya

ShivaFan
06 November 2012, 01:23 AM
Namaste

By the way, I forgot to mention something in relation to "sometimes I wish I were an Indian".

Actually, if you become a Hindu, you might sort of have your wish come true. Take me for example. I don't look like an Indian. I look like a British guy. So I was grabbed by Ganesh at 8 years old.

In other words, I was Hindu by being kidnapped if you will.

Now to this day I still look like some Englishman.

But do you know what happened? Well, let me give you a few examples.

If you become a Hindu, you just might turn into an Indian!

For example, I standing outside at some park or at a bookstore. There are 4 Indian guys just next to me. Complete strangers. Then one turns to me to ask something, and He starts to speak to me in Hindi. "Oh, are you Induan?" he will say, he feels embarrassed almost. "You a Kashmiri?" or some such question suddenly reverting to English, looking at me.

Eerie. weird. I am not dressed like a Kashmiri.

A Hindu priest might show up out of nowhere, and want to talk to you. You are Indian he may ask you. No you will say.

Next thing you know, you're married to an Indian perhaps.

You won't believe what can happen.

Suddenly, somehow, you ARE an Indian!

Next thing you know, you actually ARE in India! Suddenly you have thousands of dollars to fly there, or even someone pays your way!

Weird.

Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.

Om Namah Sivaya

Jodhaa
06 November 2012, 06:37 AM
Namaste

To be honest, I get confused with words such as ashamed

Namaste, Shivafan,

Yes, ashamed s a little strong isn't it? Not a good word choice on my part. In fairness, I think I used it first, not Webimpulse. Embarrassed is a much better word.

As for being mistaken for Indian - I have not been mistaken yet! Although have been asked if I am married to an Indian. And an older, Indian gentlemen at the temple who has volunteered with me for months has started to slip into Hindi with me even though he knows I only know English. I suppose that's something?

Peace!

Eastern Mind
06 November 2012, 07:37 AM
Vannakkam: My take is that you were born where you were born for a purpose. One of the purposes I see here in this Caucasian body, but Hindu mind is to be an example to the new immigrants here from India, who were taught all their lives that the west is a better place. Seeing Americans practicing Hinduism in the traditional way gives the doubters, perhaps leaning towards western thought or religions, a second take.

The world is shrinking. We can talk visually to anyone anywhere ... almost. East and west is all blending. Race will disappear with more and more interracial marriages. 100 years? 300 years? Who knows, but it will disappear. So will many languages, many cultures. Mankind is destined to become a 'mutt', something akin to the Indian street dog. There are no more situations where a group gets isolated and out of that necessity, develops a new language.

So our duty is to see that a lot of the east, a lot of Hindu is in that street dog. Then the planet can flourish.

Much of the idea that another country is better than yours is 'the grass is greener on the other side of the fence' thinking. I've been to India, and I wouldn't want to live there. From a distance it sounds romantic, and wonderful, but up close, like anywhere else, it has its faults. I love the place dearly, but the jump would be too hard.

Your karma sticks with you like a shadow, anyway, and the mind is where things happen, not in physical environs.

Sorry for the early morning rant.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
06 November 2012, 11:18 AM
Namaste Eastern Mind

Your thoughts weren't a "rant", they were beautiful! For what it's worth, they struck me as so true! I have just a different view, narrowly, on one view however, regarding your thought that you wouldn't want to live there.

Actually, I might consider living there after retiring, for sure I want to be in Kashi if I figure I'm a gonner and going to be dead shortly.

I am not going to lie, I grew up in a household that had a comfortable lifestyle and many blessings, but what is also true was very early in life I was out and about in the day from the protection and comforts of a nice home and driving to, walking around, and "hanging out" in some pretty tough, often poor or dangerous, streets. The reason for this was typically because I was out adventuring to different Hindu temples which in those days might often be in some tough or ruff or poor or urban blight neighborhoods. I would, and did, have a lot of Hindu friends both Indian and Western.

So it might depend about how you might react to things some call culture shock.

So I am thinking you might be alluding to aspects of poverty you encounter in India, but that isn't a strong fear or shock to me because I have I guess what you call "street smarts", and also over the years I have seen notable improvements in the infrastructure in India, but even more to the point I really love my experiences with Indians living in India, frankly I am enthrawled by many of them. So wonderful!

Sure I've run into bad characters or "tuff guys" and the bad people in India, an example was actually a potential dangerous confrontation from a couple of shady tuffs about 60 miles South of Kolkata, but everyone is different and they turned away and I think they could see I wasn't one who wouldn't scrap it out if it really came down to that.

I have gotten very sick once in India, but here I am. I have seen pretty bad poverty, but again it is the people of India I am amazed by. As far as truoble, been right in the middle of it right here in the US, I am a shanti guy but whatever it might take sometimes if you know what I mean. An example would be two times I remember in the US when I decided to join in a Hare Krishna kirtan in the street of a tough area that was coming down the road. Then some tough creeps tried to harang and push around devotees, and they were taken care of by those who joined in on the kirtan and by devotees themselves. Another time involved motorcycle tuffs, but it was taken care of. Also, some of those HK devotees seem very peaceful, but you better watch out for one of those kartals cracking down on your head if someone pushes it too far.

So, like anything else, you give and take, you balance things out, but I hope more Westerners either Hindu, aspirants, or "just interested" please visit India. You are in for the treat nd adventure of the soul like you cannot imagine. Yes, perhaps you will not want to live there, but you will live there in your heart!

Thanks EM, I really love your ideas and truths about the world becoming smaller and how we will all be "runts" in the future! How about we all will be "Elephants" in the future?!! I love the Asian Elephant, and the world is all starting to grow trunks so we can reach that mango!

By the way, I'm getting old now, so I will want to avoid any "scrapers" or fights.

Jai Mother India! Jai Hind!

Om Namah Sivaya

philosoraptor
06 November 2012, 02:47 PM
Namaste all,

In light of the upcoming elections here in the USA tomorrow, I figured I'd share some of my thoughts on nationality and one's personal identity in relation to it. (Hopefully this is an appropriate forum for what I am saying here, but if it isn't, mods, feel free to move it.)

There are times when I wish I wasn't born an American. Even if you forget the present day sins the world holds Americans responsible for, there's America's sordid past which heaps even more guilt on my shoulders. It just seems...unfair, that I would be born an American since I neither have the strength to fix what's wrong or fortitude to endure the guilt of what I'm responsible for.

Being indoctrinated into this sort of lifestyle makes me so addicted to it that the mere thought of giving up any of it is enough to set my mind into a tailspin. I try to make it right in whatever way I can, but none of it seems to be enough. It never is because I can't seem to find the strength to do what is necessary. Whatever that is...

I guess that's why I'm so envious of India and its people. I know they're not perfect, still being human, but they seem to have done more good and are worth more to the world than I ever could be. I want to have a reason to be proud of myself, like they do...

Maybe some of my thoughts here are delusional, but I felt the need to share them here. It is not my intention to offend, and I am sorry if I do, I just...well, I need an outlet for these feelings.

Namaste,

Your thoughts are delusionsal. But let me explain in a way that will hopefully make you feel better.

Presumably you are a Hindu, but you miss the association you might get in a Hindu (by birth) family. For example, you don't get together with your family on Diwali. Or you don't worship with your non-Hindu friends and family. I can certainly see why that might make you feel envious.

Keep in mind that who you are and what happens to you in this life is a reflection of karmas performed in previous lives. Thus, there is nothing to feel "guilty" about, since if being born a Westerner is indeed a punishment of sorts, then you are already "serving your sentence," so to speak.

You should be greatful that you still have this human form of life, because only in a human birth (or a human-like race) can one have the opportunity to inquire about the Absolute Truth and one's relationship with It.

Hopefully, you don't feel envious because you don't have a birth-based caste as many Hindus (by birth) do. You don't need that. The nectar of the Vedas is available for everyone regardless of qualification in the form of Mahabharata, Ramayana, and Bhagavatam. These are core Hinduism texts that are the basis for much of our culture and there is no reason you cannot immerse yourself in them. Even learned brahmins relish reading these scriptures.

We all have good and bad karmas, and they fructify in different ways. We have to understand this, and recognize that our situation, whether good or bad, is temporary. The only thing that is permanent is moksha. Be a seeker after moksha, and make friends with those who are also mumukshus. Ethnicity and nationality are temporary concepts. Your status as a jIvAtma and your relationship with paramAtmA are eternal.

ShivaFan
06 November 2012, 04:03 PM
Namaste Webimpulse

If you are truly feeling that need to naturally move towards Sanatana Dharma or Hinduism, then you will know and you will naturally be found by other Hindus and even Lord Deva and Devi, do not let others discourage you for this Family of Hinduism is vast and members of this diverse family will take you gladly to Diwali and to Temple. Your soul is not limited by birth, you can even have moksha in a given second of a given day if the time and your vision is ready. The only caste you need is your friends in devotion, your success is near. Some of the most amazing truths come from the most amazing Deva and Devi endowed souls who sometimes introduce you to the way of your next Temple and your very Guru. It was a shoeshine boy in Calcutta that pointed me to a miracle. As they say, "My parrot can speak, but can you fly?". Do not under estimate the parrot.

Just to mention, you might consider looking on the internet regarding the resources of the Himalayan Academy, which is Saiva. There are many different realizations in Hinduism, inclusive of Saiva, Vaishnav, Sakta, and others. Each has their own scriptures of importance, Saints and temples and paths and answers. You will know. Do not let others close doors to your welcome, when there are so many doors open.

It is very rewarding. You will be welcome. There are many happy Diwalis waiting for you.

Om Namah Sivaya

Webimpulse
06 November 2012, 05:36 PM
Namaste Philosoraptor, ShivaFan, and everyone else :)

Please pardon the delayed response; I have read all the responses, and yes, they do make me feel better. :) I'll add more later (as I have some more pressing things to do right now) but I want to say right now that you've all made excellent points. So thanks for that!

Again, will add more later, but your points have all been helpful. :)

Webimpulse
06 November 2012, 09:10 PM
Namaste once again,

As promised, I am adding more thoughts in addition to what others have added here.

First of all, thank you for setting the record straight on what I should think of myself. In this age of information overload, it can be easy for me to lose my way...especially when it's a night like election night here in the US. With so many people on the Internet telling me what I should think and how I should feel...and that whoever wins the Oval Office should have an effect on how I should perceive myself...it's easy to lose track of how I really feel. Or even who I am.

Myself, I abhor conflict. So much so, that if it happens around me I can go delirious right quick and have to remove myself from the situation. Pretty much the only conflict I can tolerate is in the video games I play. I know it's unrealistic for me to expect people to get along all the time and everyone to be perpetually happy, but if there isn't decorum in my immediate surroundings I can lose my grip real fast.

Perhaps the reason I got to thinking like I did in this thread is because Western society seems to crave this sort of conflict all the time...I know other people can tolerate it and some even thrive on it, but I'm not wired that way. There's good and bad in this society, I know. And I also know nowhere is perfect. But...there's got to be a someplace where someone like me can be happy, and where my wiring is more suitable! Or some way to alter my thinking so I can be stronger...I feel Hinduism can do that. I certainly hope so...

I seem to realize now that this wasn't about guilt or shame. It's about trying to find either a place where I don't have to feel constantly afraid, or a way to rework myself so I don't feel like I do...