PDA

View Full Version : Why are people still so shocked?

sunyata07
09 November 2012, 01:03 PM
Namaste,

It is a strange thing. I have now been a proper vegetarian for over a year and a half, and I find - if anything - I am now enjoying food more than ever, and not just through taste sensation alone. It's not because I'm deprived of eating meat or fish or seafoods, and have "come to accept my fate" either, as someone might point out to me for my unusual love of veggies. I know that my overall health is better than it ever has been in my life, I have a smaller appetite and am more disciplined when it comes to having to skip meals. I'm not aching with the pain of hunger when I smell a BBQ and if I feel lazy, I can eat my food uncooked. It's no surprise vegetarians live longer, have fewer gastro-intestinal complaints and because they consume vegetables as opposed to meat, they actually contribute to water conservation as well as land conservation. One frightening statistic I read the other day showed that 30% of the Earth's land is used for rearing livestock and cattle! Shocking.

The reason I'm bringing all of this up is because I notice that even after 6 years of a (mostly!) vegetarian lifestyle, I still find people look at me like I have three heads when they learn I am vegetarian by choice. Why? they still ask. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but my knowledge was that overall the numbers of people eating more vegetarian foods (not necessarily abstaining entirely from meat, but reducing intake of it) was increasing worldwide? Now more than ever people have access to a wide range of healthy and organic vegetables, lentils and cereals. Medical science has shown again that not only is being vegetarian not harmful, as many very old-fashioned people will believe, but that it is in fact the preferred lifestyle. Less red meat, more wholegrains, cereals and fresh fruits.

I'm not offended when people ask me why I'm still vegetarian. I don't expect people to hold the same beliefs as I do about ahimsa, but I am in some wonder as to why this still hasn't abated after more than half a decade of something that is mostly good, not just for me, but everyone else? Does anyone else have similar experiences on this?

Shanti

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
09 November 2012, 02:06 PM
Vannakkam Sunyata: Half a decade? More like half a century. It started in the 60s. I have no explanation for why a shift in mass consciousness takes so long, but your observation is so true. Some of it depends on geography and numbers. For example, in the US, the difference in reaction between California, and Montana might be substantial. So part of it might be geography. Not sure.

Then I went and googled your city on google maps and used the 'search nearby' function to search for 'vegetarian restaurants and got a ton of hits. So it really beats me.

Aum Namasivaya

TatTvamAsi
12 November 2012, 03:21 AM
Namaste,

I just wanted to say that it is very impressive that you've remained steadfast in your resolution to be vegetarian. Most of these things, like vegetarianism, yoga, even celibacy (LOL), are things people seem to want to "try out" for a while and then it fades away - like a "diet" that never works.

You've shown the key ingredient to really getting your feet wet regarding Hinduism; self-discipline. This, in actuality, is yoga! You don't have to be upside down to practice "yoga" as many muppets think.

So, congrats on being vegetarian for a long time and hopefully you will continue to do so.

Regarding others' opinions on it; it's like when you have a business idea and there are 10 people lined up to tell you why you will fail. Better to keep your mind focused on the "prize" (which you seem to have done).

I'm assuming you're a woman? Women, according to Hinduism, are the embodiment of culture!

Enjoy those samosas! ;)

Adhvagat
12 November 2012, 10:42 AM
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now. Time sure flies.

firmamental
12 November 2012, 10:59 AM
It's great you're keeping with your vegetarian diet in spite of the doubters. That aside, it is quite amusing how people think that if you don't eat meat with every other meal you're crazy or something, when in reality it's borderline-crazy to eat the quantities of meat that some do (especially in the US). Oh well, let them be confused, as you said cutting meat out of one's diet is healthier and cheaper...if they knew anything they wouldn't be shocked at all.

sunyata07
12 November 2012, 03:37 PM
It sure does, Pietro, but in a good way! I find, if anything, I am mostly repelled by the smell of meat. I think if I were to try eating it again, I probably wouldn't feel too good for a long time. Another reason to keep green.

It's funny where people get their sense of logic from. I'm actually recovering from a bit of a cold at the moment. Because of the drop in temperatures recently, it hasn't abated yet. One of my co-workers today asked me was it because of my vegetarian diet. Cause, you know I'm missing a whole host of proteins and vitamins. It's a wonder I'm not keeling over every winter. I honestly didn't know what to say back to that. lol Then again, my mother still insists this every year to me. Somehow if I eat meat I might never catch a cold again! Oh, if only it were that easy!

Shanti

Om namah Shivaya

Bhagavankibhakt
14 November 2012, 03:49 PM
Namaste,

I get such reactions all the time. I've been a vegetarian for the past 5 1/2 years and I feel a lot better now than I ever did eating meat. Now I only started eating meat when I was like 10 years old and to be honest it was forced upon me by my mother (because of the whole protein can only be found in meat myth). Even when I did eat meat it would be like 2-3 small little pieces so it was never a big deal for me.
When people learn I am a vegetarian they act, as you rightly said, like I have 3 heads or some other freakish physical attribute. To which I tell them to calm down and that it's not that big a deal.
I had a really bad experience with meat a month or two before I totally gave it up (i accidentally ate a big piece of raw chicken:eek:)which I strongly believe was Bhagavan's way of telling me to stop.
The popular myth that high levels of protein and vitamins can only be found in meat is a blatant lie. All whole foods contain some level of protein. Spinach, string beans, broccoli, cauliflower, lentils, kidney beans, channa, split peas etc. (let me stop there because this list would go on forever :)) all contain abundant levels of protein. The important thing is learning how to balance your carbs, fats and proteins in your meals for healthier living. Plus the proteins found in meat is acidic whilst those found in veggies are alkaline making them gentler and healthier to the body.
Meat in addition to being totally disgusting and foul smelling is Tamasik and as such we as Hindus need to stay away from it.
It takes about a day or two for veggies to work it's way through our system. It takes roughly 21 days for meat to fully vacate our bodies.

Sahasranama
14 November 2012, 05:17 PM
Plus the proteins found in meat is acidic whilst those found in veggies are alkaline making them gentler and healthier to the body.

This is some weird theory cooked up by alternative medicine practitioner Dr. Robert O Young. The body has a very tight system regulating the acidity of your blood. Eating alkaline or acidic foods does not affect it, otherwise eating baking powder (very alkaline) would kill you.

It takes about a day or two for veggies to work it's way through our system. It takes roughly 21 days for meat to fully vacate our bodies.If meat would vacate your body, you would die, because you are made of meat. ;)

The popular myth that high levels of protein and vitamins can only be found in meat is a blatant lie. All whole foods contain some level of protein. Spinach, string beans, broccoli, cauliflower, lentils, kidney beans, channa, split peas etc. (let me stop there because this list would go on forever :)) all contain abundant levels of protein. That is true, there is abundant protein in the plant kingdom and if you also eat dairy there is not anything to worry about. You may want to take a b12 supplement though.

Bhagavankibhakt
14 November 2012, 06:44 PM
This is some weird theory cooked up by alternative medicine practitioner Dr. Robert O Young. The body has a very tight system regulating the acidity of your blood. Eating alkaline or acidic foods does not affect it, otherwise eating baking powder (very alkaline) would kill you.

If meat would vacate your body, you would die, because you are made of meat. ;)

That is true, there is abundant protein in the plant kingdom and if you also eat dairy there is not anything to worry about. You may want to take a b12 supplement though.

1) We cannot get away from acidic foods but the less we put into our system the better. I suffer from acid reflux so I know the benefits of decreasing the acid content of what I consume.

2) I meant vacating our intestinal tract which is what we are discussing here i.e. what we ingest/ digest.

R Gitananda
15 November 2012, 09:52 PM
... All whole foods contain some level of protein. Spinach, string beans, broccoli, cauliflower, lentils,
kidney beans, channa, split peas etc. (let me stop there because this list would go on forever :)) all contain abundant levels of protein ...

namaste

I agree with you with regards to the average activity level. However I started a very strenuous weight-training program
some time back and although I ate as much whole foods that I could take, I still couldn't manage the recovery and make
the same types of strength gains that I remember from my meat-eating days until I started supplementing the whole foods
with 'fake' meat products which contain an abundance of processed soy. Some consider such products non-sattvic (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=9459). Then
again I know of a world-class power-lifter who eats nothing but a whole foods vegan diet, so maybe it's just me.

Hari Aum