PDA

View Full Version : "Indians are no less racial"

maruti
13 February 2007, 08:52 AM
Here's an interesting article on Indians and how they're no less racial than the rest. And Satay, please don't accuse me again, these are NOT my views. Even the topic title is NOT mine, it's made up by the author of this article. But it's very informative, which is why I am posting it.

Pioneer.com
A Surya Prakash
COMMENTS:
Seems as if South Indians have to suffer at the hands of their "North Indian brothers." Funny, because they don't face so much discrimination even in western nations!:( What do people here think of this?

sm78
13 February 2007, 09:26 AM
What do people here think of this?

Think of what ??

"The article you have quoted just now" OR "The articles and christain friends you have been quoting for past few days" ?

Agnideva
13 February 2007, 09:53 AM
Namaste Maruti,

Stereotypes and superiority complexes based on race, skin color etc., are there in every human society. Again I ask you, what is the point of posting this article here?

A.

maruti
13 February 2007, 11:11 AM
You spend your time collecting biased articles and comments which portray Indians and Hindus in a bad light.

Actually, this paper is pro-Hindu and pro-Indian. It's written by a Hindu Nationalist, and incidentally, the same author has written several pro-Hindu articles for this paper. So it's not fair to accuse the author or paper of bias.

maruti
13 February 2007, 11:25 AM
Think of what ??

"The article you have quoted just now" OR "The articles and christain friends you have been quoting for past few days" ?

Namaskara,

There's no ulterior motive, if that's what you're afraid of. Being South Indian myself, I am wondering whether Southies who live in the North are safe, or whether they have to suffer through this in silence.

Some people may also have the view that Northies, having been victims of Islamic invasions over the years, are so angry and frustrated that they're taking it out on South Indians. It's kind of an outlet, they say. I highly doubt it, though.;)

satay
13 February 2007, 11:47 AM
COMMENTS:
Seems as if South Indians have to suffer at the hands of their "North Indian brothers." Funny, because they don't face so much discrimination even in western nations!:( What do people here think of this?

namaste,

This article is a false information as we can not locate the source.

www.Pioneer.com sells crops and has nothing to do with hindus, indians, hinduism or india in general.

sm78
14 February 2007, 01:31 AM
Namaskara,

There's no ulterior motive, if that's what you're afraid of. Being South Indian myself, I am wondering whether Southies who live in the North are safe, or whether they have to suffer through this in silence.

Some people may also have the view that Northies, having been victims of Islamic invasions over the years, are so angry and frustrated that they're taking it out on South Indians. It's kind of an outlet, they say. I highly doubt it, though.;)

I haven't heard of the case "North Indians" taking on "South Indian".
I am an "East Indian" (a separate species in its own right ;) ) who have stayed in all parts of the country, currently in south India. Linguistic discrimination is a disease created by modern Indian politicians. Very few common people actually suffer from such biases when left alone.

I don't know any southie language, but haven't faced any insult for it.
During my long stay in North India I haven't seen what u are claiming.

Pls don't put such bigoted statements and generalized statements like what you have written above based on an dubious article in some paper.
What u claim is dubious, what you exhibit is bigotry.

Namaste

saidevo
14 February 2007, 05:07 AM
I am a Madrasi (now Chenniaite). I have lived in New Delhi for two years, in Hyderabad for two years and have had a sojourn in Mumbai and Chandigarh--all during my banking career. These were my impressions during that life:

1. As I knew just a little of Hindi, I used mostly English for conversation in these parts. Sometimes the problem was that people replied in Hindi though spoken to in English and they knew English; this tendency was more in Delhi than in other places, not only in the public but in the corporate environment; whereas in the bank branch I worked in Hyderabad, even peons tried to talk in English. I also had the impression that they felt it a little odd for a person not to understand Hindi, and on rare occasions, made harmless private comments among themselves, but never commented on us directly or made practical jokes on us.

I understood that love of mother tongue is a common, human trait and has nothing to do with skin color or race. This kind of problem is best solved by trying to show that you indeed can pick up some of their language, though you may do it slowly. (A friend of mine knew very little Hindi but would venture to speak boldly and use such phrases as 'Chairman aataa hai?'not knowing the rules of grammar, but it was understood in the proper sense and grammer and never construed as lack of respect.) As for ourselves, while in Delhi, my wife picked up some Hindi and her office neighbours picked up some Tamil, and ironically, my son who was in his UKG, picked up Hindi faster than Tamil, his own mother tongue!

2. The article in question has this quote on Sharukh Khan:

I was distressed to find Shahrukh Khan joke about the name of a contestant from Andhra Pradesh - Mr Ramakrishna Guggila - and his companion, Mr Venkateshwarlu Putta. Shahrukh joked about their names and hinted time and again that their names were unpronounceable. Then, without so much as a by your leave, Shahrukh told Mr Guggila that he would call him "Guggi" or just "Guggs". As for the contestant's companion, Shahrukh was unaware that Venkateshwarlu was one word. He kept calling him Venkatesh Warlu and eventually, unilaterally decided to rechristen him as "Venky". But the anchor's patronising attitude truly came out when he mockingly offered a prize to viewers who could say "Venkatesh Warlu Putta" five times without faltering.

Shahrukh Khan must learn political correctness quickly. It is foolish to rouse the "atmagouravam" of the Telugu-speaking people. In case Shahrukh does not know, an Andhra with an equally "unpronounceable" name - Potti Sriramulu - set Andhra on fire with his fast unto death to secure a separate Telugu State. Another Andhra with an even more "unpronounceable" name - Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao - launched the Telugu Desam and ousted the Congress from power in that State in 1983. This he did after Rajiv Gandhi, like Shahrukh Khan, behaved inappropriately with a fellow Andhra - Mr Anjiah - who was then the Chief Minister of the State.

I don't watch the KBC program, but if Sharukh Khan behaved the way he is reported as, it is bad. Maybe it is a case of ignorance, but Sharukh Khan must learn and behave better. I am sure that he will take it in the right sense if someone points it to him or if he reads the article, because being in the filmy dhunia he is a cosmopolitan and his reputation is important for him. Again, this is not a case of racism, just a case of ignorance.

In summary, the author of the article has tried to make a mountain out of a mole.