PDA

View Full Version : Krishna

billcu
17 November 2012, 02:14 PM
Just about all I know about Hinduism comes from the Gita. I don't have an enlightened guru and really don't know where to start except following the gita. I thought Mahabarata was a veda but I guess it isn't. How do we progress upon the path?

Bill

orlando
06 December 2012, 02:48 PM
Namaste billcu.

Mahabharata(that includes Bhagavad-Gita),Ramayana and Puranas are the fifth Veda.
This is a very important thing to know for a hindu:)

Regards,
Orlando.

Sanja
06 December 2012, 03:19 PM
Namasté Bill,

I can only speak for myself, everyone has his own way to God and to enlightenment.

It is important to study the Bhagavad Gita, but it's also important to build a deep devotional relationship with your God.

To understand on an intellectual level and increasing the trust in God within yourself as a form of emotional understanding are two different things, that will eventually merge into one.

There are a lot of things you could do. Practise yoga, sing mantras or find a temple nearby if you want. There are a few online courses as well that could help. Everything you do on that path is a step forward even if it is a little one.

Sometimes i find it's all more like a remembering rather than learning, but however we have to reach deep inside of us to reach God.
So meditate, sing, love and trust. :-)

Well, that's my path, maybe it can give you a few suggestions.

Love and bliss,

Praṇām

yajvan
06 December 2012, 07:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I thought Mahabarata was a veda but I guess it isn't.
Bill
It ( the mahābhārata) is reverred as the 5th ved. And who says this ? itihāsapurāṇaṃ pañcamaṃ vedānāṃ is called out in the chāndogya upaniṣad (7.1.2); It reads like this (nārada-ji is speaking to sanatkumāra-ji); Revered sir I have learned the ṛgveda, yajurveda, samāveda, the atharvaveda the 4th, the itihāsa-s and purāṇa-s as the 5th veda, etc. etc.

The mahābhārata is classified as itihāsa¹ (history) , and hence Nārada's reference to it as the 5th.

Another reference is in the mahābhārata itself. Ādi (first) Parva (division or section) , says the following: The learned man who recites to others this veda of vyāsa (kṛṣṇa dvaipāyana) reaps advantage.
Hence the epithet of it considered a 5th veda.

"Whatever is here ( in the mahābhārata) is found elsewhere. But whatever is not here (in the mahābhārata) is nowhere else."

If there is interest, more can be read here on this HDF post:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1882 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1882)

iti śivaṁ

1. itihāsa इतिहास 'so it was' ; talk , legend , tradition , history , traditional accounts of former events , heroic history

Nirguna
07 December 2012, 08:01 AM
Namaste billcu,

Just about all I know about Hinduism comes from the Gita. I don't have an enlightened guru and really don't know where to start except following the gita. I thought Mahabarata was a veda but I guess it isn't. How do we progress upon the path?

Bill

I would highly recommend reading the commentaries of Srila Prabhupada on Bhagavad Gita "Bhagavad Gita As It Is", and on Srimad Bhagavatam.