PDA

View Full Version : Mrityunjaya Mantra

yajvan
16 February 2007, 01:10 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste and Jai Sadashiva Nama!

Let us discuss the joy and boundlessness of Mahadeva or Maheshvara. He is also known as Chandraprakash , One Who Has Moon As A Crest ( as we see Him with the crest moon above His head).
Please add to this post as you see fit...

Here is the Mrityunjaya Mantra (below) to Siva, the Auspicious. As He is Sankara , sama ( blessings) + Kara (giver). He is Trayambaka, three eyed, the destroyer of ignorance and bondage.

It's said Siva ( some even write c'via) has 8 qualities: purity, independence, SELF-knowledge, omniscience, complete freedom and
absence of mala (impurity), boundless benevolence, omnipotence , and the fullness of amritam or bliss.

He is also known as Rudra in the Vedas. And we wear Rudraksha - the eye of Rudra ( His tears as the story is explained) to bring HIS vibration to us. Lord Shiva consumes the poison of problems (his blue neck or Nilakantha) of his devotees and bestows upon them elixir of health and divine boons. Among the various forms of the Lord, Mahamrityunjaya is considered best.
According to Rishi Vashisha Mahamrityunjaya Mantra has 33 phonomes of syllables, which represent the powers of the 33 deva's:
These 33 deities are - eight Vasus, eleven Rudras, twelve Aadityas, one Prajapati and one Vashatkaar.

Om Tryambhakam Yajamahe
Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat

AUM - Brahama, Vishnu and Siva
Tryambhakam - 3 eyed - Siva's 3rd eye represents intuition, insight, inner-vision, and expanded awareness
Yajamahe ( from yajya) we worship, some say we sing thee praise
Sugandhim - fragrant: whats fragrant? When we open ourselves to the explanded vision of Unboundedness ( Bhuma)
all becomes fragrant to the sadhu.
Pushtivardhanam - pushti , or nourshes - the Fullenss of Being, nourshes the sadhu and all creation; vardhanam - increases the fulless or nourshment, increases, and comes to bloom ( fragrance of Being) in Moska.
Urvarukamiva - a creeper ( often found in the veda) like a cucumber, even the soma plant that is the essense of existence, and the delight of being, the soma juice, the delight of existance; the example of the cucumber, it grows, matures, and drops off from the vine, as the sadhu grows, then matures, and finally drops away from
the bondage of ignorance, to this Bhuma. Where is this bondage? The next line:
Bandhanan - bound or bondage to the small self, driven here and there by the senses.
Mrityor - death
Mukshiya - Liberation , from the root Moks to liberate. From what ? Niti niti - that I am not this individual self, that I am this SELF this sarva ( all, complete) and not this sarira or that which perishes with the coming and going of the body.
Maamritat -ma amritat : amritat's root is amrta or 'not death' or the Imortal Reality as the fundamanetal principle behind every-thing.

We worship the Three-eyed One (Lord Siva).
Who is fragrant and who nourishes well all beings.
May He liberate us from death for the sake of immortality,
Even as the cucumber is severed from bondage to the creeper

All Glory to Vishveshwara!

Agnideva
16 February 2007, 02:53 PM
Namaskar Yajvan,

Thanks for the great post.

According to Rishi Vashisha Mahamrityunjaya Mantra has 33 phonomes of syllables, which represent the powers of the 33 deva's: These 33 deities are - eight Vasus, eleven Rudras, twelve Aadityas, one Prajapati and one Vashatkaar.
I thought the 33 Devas were 8 Vasus, 11 Rudras, 12 Ādityas, Indra, and Prajāpati, as per your previous post (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=815&highlight=devas). Is Vashatkaar the same as Indra? I did a brief search for Vashatkaar, and the only meaningful result came up was that Lord Vishnu is called Vashatkāra in the Vishnu Sahasranāma. Would appreciate any information on this.

Let us discuss the joy and boundlessness of Mahadeva or Maheshvara. He is also known as Chandraprakash , One Who Has Moon As A Crest ( as we see Him with the crest moon above His head). Please add to this post as you see fit...
This is not related to the topic at hand, but I thought I would post my favorite part of the Rudram Hymn, and the only part I know byheart:

aum namaste astu bhagavan vishveshvarāya mahādevāya
trayambakāya tripurāntakāya trikāgnikālāya kālāgnirudrāya
nīlakanThāya mrityunjayāya sarveshvarāya sadāshivāya
shrīman mahādevāya namaH ||

AUM! Prostrations unto Thee, O Lord, Ruler of the Universe, O Great God, O Three-Eyed One, Destroyer of the triad cities, Death to the destructive fire of the three worlds (at the end of time), Terror to the terrible fire of Time, that Blue-Throated One, Overcomer of mortality, Overlord over all, Bestower of blessedness, the Ever-Auspicious One, the Blessed Great Lord, unto Thee prostrations.

It's said Siva ( some even write c'via) has 8 qualities: purity, independence, SELF-knowledge, omniscience, complete freedom and absence of mala (impurity), boundless benevolence, omnipotence , and the fullness of amritam or bliss.
Thanks, I've read this somewhere too. It seems the number 8 appears repeatedly. I recently came across a name of Lord Shiva: Ashtamurti - Lord of Eight Forms. If I understand correctly, Ashtamurti indicates Lord of the 8 Vasus (8 Devas that make up the physical world: 5 elements + Sun, Moon, Stars).

Regards,
A.

yajvan
16 February 2007, 04:35 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaskar Yajvan,

I thought the 33 Devas were 8 Vasus, 11 Rudras, 12 Ādityas, Indra, and Prajāpati, as per your previous post (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=815&highlight=devas). Is Vashatkaar the same as Indra?

It seems the number 8 appears repeatedly. I recently came across a name of Lord Shiva: Ashtamurti - Lord of Eight Forms. If I understand correctly, Ashtamurti indicates Lord of the 8 Vasus (8 Devas that make up the physical world: 5 elements + Sun, Moon, Stars). A.

Namaste A,
Thank you for your post ... the Indra discussion is interesting and we can talk further, yet the root of the discussion will go to Indra as Idandram, and the relationship of Visnu to Brahman. ( some also say visnu is agni and yajya too).

re: this number 8. Yes comes up alot ( so does 3 and 7 and I have a post prepared on this for our consumption later). This 8 in jyotish, is a moksa house as is the 4th and ther 12th. Note too gayatri is three sentences with 8 phonemes/syllables per line. All this is moksha related. And what of ashtami tithi ? Who is the owner there? Siva ! What of the mahamantra of Krsna? 16 syllables or 2 X 8 or 4 X 4 . all to stimulate the moksha houses in ones kundali chakra ( birth chart).

we will talk more of this....

Nama sivaya.