PDA

View Full Version : Shri Nidhiishvarar temple, Tamil Nadu

ShriBala
09 December 2012, 12:19 AM
Namaskara.

The name Raja Raja Chozhan/Cholan might not be a very familiar one, yet the 'big temple' is a pretty, well-known one temple in India. Estimated to be a 1000+ years old, the Brihadishvara temple a.k.a the Big temple is rightly known by its well-deserved epithet. The temple was built by one of, possibly the, greatest *benevolent* kings who had ruled India.

A couple of weeks back, an accquaintance of mine had sent me a link to another 1000 year old temple built by the Raja. Obviously excited, i just couldn't wait to read about the temple.

Here's the link: http://www.sntt.net/temple.html

The temple was excavated and dated by the ASI to be about 1000 years old. And the best thing? The 4+ feet Shiva Lingam looks majestic and is undamaged by sand/muck. A Ganapati moorti and a disfigured Nandi were also unearthed.

The villagers of the nearby villages are doing their level best to make a permanent residence for the svAmI. He's currently housed in a temporary tinshed quarters.

Photos of the svAmI available at the link. I haven't visited the place and hope to do when i travel to Madras in the near future.

Om Shivaya Namaha.