PDA

View Full Version : End of an Era

Equinox
12 December 2012, 12:06 AM
Vannakkam

The world just lost one of its most gifted musicians, Pandit Ravi Shankar, a few hours ago. His beautiful sitar compositions will no doubt live on in the lives and hearts of many, especially mine. Thankfully, his legacy survives in his daughters, Anoushka and Norah.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/12/entertainment-us-ravishankar-idUSBRE8BB08420121212

May his soul rest in peace.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Believer
12 December 2012, 12:35 PM
Namaste,

It indeed is a great loss to the world of classical music. Thank you Ravi Shankarji for the endless pleasure you have provided to countless fans of Hindustani classical music around the world.

Last week he was making calls to several people and telling them about his upcoming surgery. I figured that his chances of survival were less than 50%, and those phone calls were perhaps his good bye calls. It is sad that it turned out that way.

Pranam.

ShivaFan
12 December 2012, 06:06 PM
Ravi Shankar Hollywood Palace 1967

Ravi Shankar is Dead

As many of you probably already know, the sitar master Ravi Shankar is dead, he died I believe yesterday. Actually, he might have been more popular in the West than in India.

I don’t remember what year it was, but it was at the time of black and white T.V.. Our family had the television on, it may have been 1965 or 1966, or 67. I am pretty sure it was the KQED Public Television station out of San Francisco. I was probably 10 years old that night.

That was when Ravi Shankar came on the TV screen, he was accompanied by tabla player Alla Rakha.

Our entire family was stunned. First of all, the tabla was absolutely hypnotic to everyone gathered. And of course Ravi Shankar on the sitar. That night, a lot of neighbors had watched the same show. It was spoken of a lot. Everyone, was captured. Many said they were “breathless” – it was something truly amazing to some of them. This included children.

He was already a friend of George Harrison soon about that time.

After I found out he had died, I tried to find that black and white broadcast. But I could not. Perhaps the tape is gone. KQED was a local affiliate. But I did find the 1967 Hollywood Palace broadcast to the United States, hosted by Bing Crosby. The same masters were there as was that evening. The entire US nation pretty much saw that broadcast. I may mean little to those who live in India.

I want to share with you that US broadcast of 1967. There are no words to describe. This may have nothing to do with Hinduism. Then again, there is probably a much bigger story to the little story. The video below is not a bhajan, it is as Believer says classical music. But I guess in one way, it sort of is a bhajan. To India. I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn0he5ab6WE

Om Namah Sivaya

Equinox
12 December 2012, 10:38 PM
Vannakkam

I don’t remember what year it was, but it was at the time of black and white T.V.. Our family had the television on, it may have been 1965 or 1966, or 67. I am pretty sure it was the KQED Public Television station out of San Francisco. I was probably 10 years old that night.

That was when Ravi Shankar came on the TV screen, he was accompanied by tabla player Alla Rakha.

Our entire family was stunned. First of all, the tabla was absolutely hypnotic to everyone gathered. And of course Ravi Shankar on the sitar. That night, a lot of neighbors had watched the same show. It was spoken of a lot. Everyone, was captured. Many said they were “breathless” – it was something truly amazing to some of them. This included children.

The entire US nation pretty much saw that broadcast. I may mean little to those who live in India.

Thank you for giving us a "peek" at his early reception in the US. That's like about 40+ years ago. From what you mention, sounds like his classical music was well-received in the West. And yes, he was more popular in the West than in India. He even taught the late George Harrison to play the sitar.

I just read that he is to receive a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/shankar-to-receive-posthumous-grammy-award-1.185514

Aum Namah Shivaya

Necromancer
10 May 2013, 08:01 PM
Namaste.

It's about time I paid my due respects to a great man and extremely gifted musician.

I was already aware of his passing back in December and was shocked and saddened by the news, but it's only been lately I have been revisiting the music of Ravi Shankar and Allah Rakha.

As many other westerners would have been, I was introduced to the Sitar instrument (and Ravi) via the Beatles and in particular, George Harrison (may his soul also rest in peace).

It was at the time when George from The Beatles and Justin from the Moody Blues were seeing who could 'outdo' the other in the 'let's compose an Indian Devotional Song and put Sitars in it'....the Beach Boys tried it too (and failed).

Justin (Hayward and Mike Pinder) came up with the song 'The Word - Om' and George composed 'The Inner Light'. There was no contest.

However, behind all of that...whenever I needed to relax or meditate, I would just listen to a Ravi Shankar raga..he was the master of it all!

Indian Classical music was (and still is) a big part of my life and devotions.

If it wasn't for Ravi, George, ISKCON, The Radha Krishna Temple Album, The Concert for Bangladesh and the whole musical association there, my formative Hindu years would have been less...formative.

The world has lost two great souls in Ravi and George. May their souls find rest in Sri Krishna's loving embrace.

Aum Namah Shivaya