PDA

View Full Version : Strange musings...

MysticalGypsi
17 February 2007, 04:42 PM
I read about this story of a tiger who was raised with piglets. The tiger still does not eat the piglets (so far) because she identifies with them as relation rather than food.

http://www.hemmy.net/2006/06/15/sai-mai-the-tigress-and-six-piglets/

Znanna
17 February 2007, 05:05 PM
What a cute picture :)

The cat has a smile like a buddah.

ZN

atanu
18 February 2007, 01:42 AM
I read about this story of a tiger who was raised with piglets. The tiger still does not eat the piglets (so far) because she identifies with them as relation rather than food.

http://www.hemmy.net/2006/06/15/sai-mai-the-tigress-and-six-piglets/

These photos are really interesting and raises the question about us humans and who we choose to hate or not hate. If we intimately knew members of other ethnic groups from the time we were small, could we hate/kill them? Imagine if all children were taught to respect all others from birth....I know, I am a dreamer...

http://www.hemmy.net/images/animals/tigresspigs06.jpg

Pranam,

This is the matter of Shiva's household wherein the big cat, the Bull, peackocks, rats, and snakes share the joy and bliss together.

Excellent picture, which warms the heart.

Om Namah Shivayya

Agnideva
18 February 2007, 10:26 AM

These photos are really interesting and raises the question about us humans and who we choose to hate or not hate. If we intimately knew members of other ethnic groups from the time we were small, could we hate/kill them? Imagine if all children were taught to respect all others from birth....I know, I am a dreamer...

Awww... Thanks for sharing the picture MG :). Felines learn to hunt and kill prey from their mothers. Kittens raised completely by humans don't hunt or kill any creatures (mice, birds, etc.). Human children are also the same, I think. We learn biases, hatred and prejudice from our parents, and of course from society.

A.

sm78
18 February 2007, 08:23 PM
Awww... Thanks for sharing the picture MG :). Felines learn to hunt and kill prey from their mothers. Kittens raised completely by humans don't hunt or kill any creatures (mice, birds, etc.). Human children are also the same, I think. We learn biases, hatred and prejudice from our parents, and of course from society.

A.

Hmm...having spend countless hours watching nat-geo, animal planet and discovery, i think your statement that felines learn to kill from their mothers can be challenged. They indeed learn the fine tuning of hunting from their mother. I have seen cats in my mothers place learning to kill rats and small snakes completely on their own, qyite clumsy to start with. Their was a great program on discovery on house cat menace.

I think not killing a natural prey (as the above picture demonstrates) is an human induced behaviour, not the opposite.

Problem is with our human mind who don't see the natural beauty in the drama of life and death. The cat will kill to eat, that's how nature has made it ~ there is no question of emotional love and hate in this behaviour.

Sadly mind may associate hate with killing which all but natural (in this tiger pig contest), and love with a behaviour which is quite unnatural.

sm78
18 February 2007, 08:29 PM
I If we intimately knew members of other ethnic groups from the time we were small, could we hate/kill them?

Killing another human is not a natural thing for a human to do, whether they intimately know each other or not. A tiger doesn't eat a tiger.

Unity is cool, but hate and killing has a much more artificial source than living apart.

They are dogmas which have shaped our mind for many many generations. It's so heard to unlearn, that it seems natural.

sm78
18 February 2007, 09:28 PM
you have to admit sm78, it is just so darn cute!

Didn't you smile? :)

That I did.

Picture or sight of any animal (not being tortured) makes me smile. :)

sm78
18 February 2007, 09:35 PM
And as we dream of cute things that could happen, reality presents another grim story:-

http://in.news.yahoo.com/070219/43/6c8gg.html

atanu
22 February 2007, 09:59 AM
And as we dream of cute things that could happen, reality presents another grim story:-

http://in.news.yahoo.com/070219/43/6c8gg.html

Namaskar,

Agree that the waking state experiences are painful.

But surely we do not dream of cute things to happen. We strive for peace and harmony in consciousness.

I hope you will agree.

Om Namah Shivayya

satay
05 May 2007, 09:15 AM
Since you carry the wait of the world on your shoulders you think that you are the toughest of men. Since so many are dependent on you and they all seem happy, you think to yourself, yes, I am great, I am tough, Nothing stops me, no obstacle stops me, you ask the nature, or divine or god whatever is out there...'hey give me more of this nonsense, I can handle it'. Strong as an ox you keep forging ahead in stroms...and then ten lines of a request of some bhakta to the Lord...makes you human again...Is this what people call 'tears'...strange indeed...or even stranger is the fact that it is happening everytime I listen to it.

Itna To Karna Swami

itna to karna swami, jab prana tan se nikale

govinda nama leke, tab prana tan se nikale

sri ganga ji ka tata ho yamuna ka vamsivata ho

mera sanvara nikata ho jab prana tan se nikale

pitambari kasi ho chavi man men ye basi ho

honthon pe kuch hasi ho jab prana tan se nikale

jab kanta prana aye koi roga na sataye

yama darasa na dikhaye jab prana tan se nikale

us waqt jaldi ana nahin syam bhula jana

radhe ko sath lana jab prana tan se nikale

yajvan
05 May 2007, 02:47 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Hmm...having spend countless hours watching nat-geo, animal planet and discovery, i think your statement that felines learn to kill from their mothers can be challenged.

Problem is with our human mind who don't see the natural beauty in the drama of life and death. The cat will kill to eat, that's how nature has made it ~ there is no question of emotional love and hate in this behaviour.

Namaste Sm78 , et.al.
What you say is of interest... We (I) realize that the world is perfectly designed. Even though I would prefer Animal A to not eat Animal B, it is the design that is in place, in balance, and life goes on. What better design could I come up with, that in the end would be better then HIS grand design? I am at a loss.

We human's have a choice on this, [ choice to harm, or not] and lately the choices I see ( world wide) have been less then desirable and beneath the dignitity of man. That is, massive killings, be-headings, etc. And the thought that some think this brings them to heaven or they are doing this in the spirit of religion. A perfect poster for Kali Yuga. Yet who is really killed in the end? Krsna is quite clear that fire cannot burn It, swords cannot cleave IT, etc.

Yet what Satay brings to the forum is that of possibility - it IS possible for the viciousness of man to be transformed and the notion of the lion laying down with the lamb ( in this case with piggy) is possible.

Let me close with the wisdom of Vasistha, and his instruction to Rama on battle, who is a hero, who is a beast or criminal. This I believe applies to the times we live in. Vasistha says the following:
" he who fights a battle which is in accord with scriptural injunctions on behalf of a righteous king of unblemished conduct, whether he dies or lives, is a hero. Yet he who fights for an unrighteous monarch, who tortures people and mutilates thier bodies, even if he dies fighting in battle he is a beast or criminal and goes to hell. He who fights for a king that delights in harrassing others (whether a king or not) they too go to hell. Yet the one who fights to protect the cattle, holymen, friends, or those that have taken his asylum, he is an ornament of heaven."

pranams,

Znanna
05 May 2007, 05:54 PM
Having watched a mommy cat hunt with her kitties all lined up on the step to the back porch observing, and then mimicking her moves (mommy takes a step and crouches, kitties all take a step and crouch) ... while kittens may not learn *to* kill, they surely learn *how* to hunt and presumably kill their prey.

And, I'd like to share this photo, if for no other reason than the aww shucks appeal :)

Namaste,
ZN

satay
06 May 2007, 11:59 AM
namaste,
I would like to say that it is due to one word that man continues to destroy and slaughter the animals in large numbers without any remorse. That one word is this: 'Dominion'

Ge 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Znanna
06 May 2007, 12:56 PM
namaste,
I would like to say that it is due to one word that man continues to destroy and slaughter the animals in large numbers without any remorse. That one word is this: 'Dominion'

Ge 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Yep.

In my opinion, there's lots of perversion possible when one considers where Godz dominion begins and ends.

ZN

sm78
07 May 2007, 04:18 AM
Let me close with the wisdom of Vasistha, and his instruction to Rama on battle, who is a hero, who is a beast or criminal. This I believe applies to the times we live in. Vasistha says the following:
" he who fights a battle which is in accord with scriptural injunctions on behalf of a righteous king of unblemished conduct, whether he dies or lives, is a hero. Yet he who fights for an unrighteous monarch, who tortures people and mutilates thier bodies, even if he dies fighting in battle he is a beast or criminal and goes to hell. He who fights for a king that delights in harrassing others (whether a king or not) they too go to hell. Yet the one who fights to protect the cattle, holymen, friends, or those that have taken his asylum, he is an ornament of heaven."

Thanks for pointing this wonderful quote from yoga-vasishtha ramayana. Indeed this very much applies to current Yuga when there is great confusion on what constitutes dharma and what is Adharma.

May I add that, this was not the easiest choice in any Yuga. Even the great souls like Arjuna and Sri Rama himself needed guidance from the great Guru's like Sri Krishna and Sri Vashistha on the fact that killing on duty and in righteousness as per dharma is not sin, but a great deed of a hero. If war caused distress and confusion in minds of Sri Rama or Arjuna, it can be expected to create greater doubts and confusion in minds of mere mortals like us (most of us are no hero's) and in this Yuga.

Jigar
08 May 2007, 08:43 PM
Even the great souls like Arjuna and Sri Rama himself needed guidance from the great Guru's like Sri Krishna and Sri Vashistha on the fact that killing on duty and in righteousness as per dharma is not sin, but a great deed of a hero. If war caused distress and confusion in minds of Sri Rama or Arjuna, it can be expected to create greater doubts and confusion in minds of mere mortals like us (most of us are no hero's) and in this Yuga.

namaste

it is this guidance that pervades me

omkarra.
jigar