PDA

View Full Version : What I can do better...

yajvan
19 February 2007, 03:06 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
I posted this uner patanjali-ji's file as he calls out yama and niyama for ones advancement to kaivalya.
That is, I am of the firm resolve that I can improve as a sadhu in many places. Where can one place be that assists in all other places?
I would like your thoughts and I ideas on this if you care to participate.

So where can I improve? in a word brahmacharya . What is this? we know that Brahman is fullness, the all, Bhuma and charya is conduct. So , both put together is the conduct of Brahman. Many have been taught that brahmacharya is continence, and this is true. Let me add a few dimensions to this. Via continence ( or the practice thereof) brings the fruit of tapas and is equal to yagya, worship. Yet the knower of truth that practices self-control ( another form of brahmacharya, no doubt) attains the same benefits as vedic rituals.
This ritual is sattrayana - Sat ( truth) + trana (safety), another form of continence and self control. Some say Sat is Being + tryana, or the benefits of protection in every way. So, one is protected by Being-Truth, in every way through this vedic yagya and can also be accomplished by [ and therefore equal to dispensing] self-control.

Now, what is of great import to me is the observance of silence, maunam is also = to brahmacharya. Why so? it is silencing of the senses. Now what is the Supreme silience? the contact with Atman. And when can this be done? Sitting quietly, transcending during meditation. Hence, meditation is silence and is = to brahmacharya = yagya. Hence, being in and practicing silence is of great value. This gaining infinite silence within oneself is yagya.

What else? Anasakyana or that of fasting. It too is the silencing of the senses. It is said that if one can contol the tongue, one can master one's self. This anasakyana = self contol = brahmacharya = yagya and all the benefits one can gain from this.
What else? vanaprastha, some say aranyayana or that of forest dwelling, really living alone or seclusion. This is the silencing of the senses ( social intercourse) and one gains great benefit. This too is = to self control = brahmacharya=yagya. This can be done at home too during meditation. There is only one, you, going inward and becoming one with turiya, 'giving up' duality for one.

Hence - self control is = to yagya=sattrayana=Brahmacharya (and can be performed while at home). Is it strenuous tapas? I do not think so, Yet I can do better.

References:
From Chhandogya Upanishad 8.5
1.What people call sacrifice (yagna), that is really abstinence (brahmacharya). For he who knows, obtains that (world of Brahman, which others obtain by sacrifice), by means of abstinence.

What people call sacrifice (ishta), that is really abstinence, for by abstinence, having searched (ishtva), he obtains the Self.

2. What people call sacrifice (sattrayana), that is really abstinence, for by abstinence he obtains from the Sat (the true), the safety (trana) of the Self.
What people call the vow of silence (mauna), that is really abstinence, for he who by abstinence has found out the Self, meditates (manute).
3. What people call fasting (anasakayana), that is really abstinence, for that Self does not perish (na nasyati), which we find out by abstinence.

What people call a hermit's life (aranyayana), that is really abstinence. Ara and Nya are two lakes in the world of Brahman, in the third heaven from hence; and there is the lake Airanimadiya, and the Asvattha tree, showering down Soma, and the city of Brahman (Hiranyagarbha) Aparagita, and the golden Prabhuvimita (the hall built by Prabhu, Brahman).
Now that world of Brahman belongs to those who find the lakes Ara and Nya in the world of Brahman by means of abstinence; for them there is freedom in all the worlds.

pranams,

Znanna
19 February 2007, 04:01 PM
References:
From Chhandogya Upanishad 8.4

1.What people call sacrifice (yagna), that is really abstinence (brahmacharya). For he who knows, obtains that (world of Brahman, which others obtain by sacrifice), by means of abstinence.

What people call sacrifice (ishta), that is really abstinence, for by abstinence, having searched (ishtva), he obtains the Self.

2. What people call sacrifice (sattrayana), that is really abstinence, for by abstinence he obtains from the Sat (the true), the safety (trana) of the Self.

What people call the vow of silence (mauna), that is really abstinence, for he who by abstinence has found out the Self, meditates (manute).

3. What people call fasting (anasakayana), that is really abstinence, for that Self does not perish (na nasyati), which we find out by abstinence.

ZN