PDA

View Full Version : question about the scriptures - the relationship between eternity and temporality

Kumar_Das
20 December 2012, 08:47 AM
Are we not supposed to read the eternal scriptures with a temporal mindstate? Because a temporal mindstate will deduce the scriptures accordingly to reflect the world and consequently lower it to a worldly level or project worldly ideas onto eternal terms and verses and thus binds limitation to otherwise eternal scriptures?

Or are we to read the scriptures because they are eternal and we are temporal and thus they will help us surpass and transcend life and give us success in going about living? Because we will adopting eternal principles and adapting them to worldly life and thus circumvent worldy limitations and surmount our lower temporal nature.

Equinox
20 December 2012, 09:47 AM
Vannakkam

It's a mixture of both.

Because a temporal mindstate will deduce the scriptures accordingly to reflect the world and consequently lower it to a worldly level or project worldly ideas onto eternal terms and verses and thus binds limitation to otherwise eternal scriptures?

Nope. How does it restrict? If at all it only familiarises us with the higher and eternal truth, as well as application of those values in our daily lives. It also makes us aware of the eternal truth in this (worldly) life, and in no way lowering or constraining its eternal values.

because they are eternal and we are temporal

Only our bodies are temporal. Not our souls. These scriptures help us in the process of enlightenment over many,many births until we eventually attain Moksha.

they will help us surpass and transcend life and give us success in going about living? Because we will adopting eternal principles and adapting them to worldly life and thus circumvent worldy limitations and surmount our lower temporal nature.

This is closer to the aim of the scriptures, though not the only aim.

Aum Namah Shivaya

orlando
20 December 2012, 09:47 AM
Namaste Kumar_Das.

Perhaps it is fault of my bed english but I am not able to understand everything you say.
But somehow I am able to understand how to answer you.

Scriptures may be compared to medicine books.
If we are sick we don't just read them but instead we go to a competent physician.

In this analogy the physician is the guru,one who has realized the true meaning of the Shastras.

In Sanatana-Dharma a guru,in fact,is not just one who repeat like a parrot the scriptures but one who has really understood them.
In the same way that a medic has not only an academic knowledge of medicine books but he really know how to heal us.

Two example of this concept:
-an advaita guru is one who really realized his identity with Brahman
-a gaudiya-vaishnava guru is one who actually see Lord Krishna face to face since he(the guru) live at the same time here and in the spiritual world

So dear Kumar_Das,I don't know which hindu path you chosed...what you have to do is not just read Scriptures but even find a true realized and enlightened guru of the same path of yours and ask him questions and take direct indications and instructions from him:)

Look what Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad-gita(4.34):
Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth.

If you don't already have a guru,in the meanwhile you may read Scriptures with commentary of a guru who follow your path.

For example as gaudiya-vaishnava I read Srila Prabhupada's books.

Pranama,
Orlando.

philosoraptor
20 December 2012, 10:38 AM
You might get a more meaningful answer if you could clarify your question.

smaranam
21 December 2012, 10:43 PM
Are we not supposed to read the eternal scriptures with a temporal mindstate? Because a temporal mindstate will deduce the scriptures accordingly to reflect the world and consequently lower it to a worldly level or project worldly ideas onto eternal terms and verses and thus binds limitation to otherwise eternal scriptures?

Or are we to read the scriptures because they are eternal and we are temporal and thus they will help us surpass and transcend life and give us success in going about living? Because we will adopting eternal principles and adapting them to worldly life and thus circumvent worldy limitations and surmount our lower temporal nature.

Namaste

We are not supposed to read scriptures through our limited rational mind, but surrender to the Guru and let the Guru guide.
Chicken-and-egg problem? Not really.
One must have a personal relationship with their Ishta Dev , and the Lord guides as antaryAmi , from within - via instinct, intuition, situational cues, through others, and also via actual conversation.

If one doesn't have a Guru, talk to Bhagvan sincerely. Pray, worship, study, serve and He will reciprocate - depending on such scales:

sincerity Vs. casual inquisitiveness,
faith Vs skepticism,
true surrender Vs. false confidence (i.e. "I can find my own way") etc.
persistence Vs. lack of it

STEP 1: Faith. ShraddhA. acceptance.

We have to put aside all frog-in-a-well logic tendencies, rationalizing tendencies first. Only then...

The same applies when approaching the Guru.

An alternative to svAbhAvic communication, unanimously recommended by scriptures and acharyas and mahAtmAs, is meaningful and faithful chanting of the Holy Names of BhagavAn.

harer nAma harer nAma harer nAmaiva kevalam
kalau nAsti eva nasti eva nasti eva gatiranyathA

He reciprocates to that (BG 10.10, 10.11) , again based on the same scale above, attitude in the mind etc. Knowing that nothing escapes His view, our sincerity, surrender and the lack of it is all visible to Him, more than it is to us.

A surrendered bhakta (devotee) will say "Lord, you know where i stand o what is right for me, far better that i do through these limited senses and intellect. Who am i to put a judgemental hat on? So please guide me, also to undrstand Your words."

trinAd api sunichena
taror api sahishNuna
amAnina mAna dena
kirtanIya sadA harih:

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu shikshashtak verse 3

One should chant the holy names (or approach the Supreme Lord) with the attitude of being lower than a blade of grass and more tolerant than a tree. Only in this state can one constantly chant Hari's names, non-stop and offenselessly.

--
BG 10.8 (http://bhagavadgitaasitis.com/10/8/en): I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who perfectly know this engage in devotion to Me and worship Me with all their hearts.
BG 10.9 (http://bhagavadgitaasitis.com/10/9/en): The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully devoted to Me / My service, and they derive great satisfaction and bliss from always enlightening one another and conversing about Me.
BG 10.10 (http://bhagavadgitaasitis.com/10/10/en): To those who are constantly devoted to Me / serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.
BG 10.11 (http://bhagavadgitaasitis.com/10/11/en): To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance.

May Shri Hari Govind forgive my blunders and flaws and remove them from this post, for the reader so that they do not create obstacles for the reader.

_/\_

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya

Kumar_Das
28 December 2012, 11:06 PM
Monier-Williams also quotes Tārānātha who compiled the great (Sanskrit-to-Sanskrit) dictionary named

"ṛṣati jñānena saṃsāra-pāram"

(i.e., "one who reaches beyond this mundane world by means of spiritual knowledge")

Makes sense to me.