PDA

View Full Version : how to eliminate fear?

seekinganswers
27 December 2012, 06:11 PM
how does one eliminate fear when the feeling is present? does anyone have advice on this, not just in meditation, but also in general?

thank you

Anirudh
27 December 2012, 07:29 PM
Namaste SeekingAnswers

how does one eliminate fear when the feeling is present? does anyone have advice on this, not just in meditation, but also in general?

I found the way to eliminate the fear on the day of this Vaikunta Ekadasi. I fully believe Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu created certain situation in life which prompted me to dwell and as a result got the answer.

If one has the REAL faith on Bhagawan and the law of Karma, he won't fear of anything. If one has the courage to accept and take responsibility of his own actions, he would stop fearing. Also when he goes through unpleasant situation if he mentally understand that it s his body undergoing the hardship and not his soul, he will not feel the pain.

This body is destined to be destroyed one day or other, so little by little it will deteriorate irrespective of your fear. If your fear, it will deteriorate in a faster pace. Also development of courage is a continuous on going process just like we have three meals every day till we cease to exist.

I will explain that real life situation which changed me on a later date because I wouldn't want it to influence you, as every one has to search his own path to the solution though the solution is the same.

A very simple step to develop the courage and stop fearing. Write down in a piece of paper the following and keep reading it.

Why Fear When I am Here.

You can find this statement in almost all religious scripture. If you are a believer, then ask yourself do you fully endorse that statement. And then if you are interested and do not know the meaning of Karma or wanted to clarify certain elements of the word Karma, kindly read this link (http://agniveer.com/theory-of-karma-hinduism/#18).

They say a picture (http://cdn.agniveer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/karma-e12618488532201.png) substitute many words.

May Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu guide you in your quest.

yajvan
27 December 2012, 08:52 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Let me if I may extend the idea just a bit more...
The answer is found in the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad¹ ; it says, dvitiyad vai bhayam bhavati . Any time there is a sense of 2, fear arises i.e. dvitiyad vai bhayam bhavati - Fear is born of duality.

That is, when I sense there is more then 'me' there is the possiblity of '2' and with that two or more, then there is the notion that fear can arise. Yet if there is only 'me', the universe as an extention of my Self, who then is there to fear when everything is just 'me' ?

iti śivaṁ

words

Bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad - puruṣavidha-brāhmaṇa, 2nd śloka.
dvitiyad or dvitīya द्वितीय - 2nd or two , couple,
bhayam or bhaya भय - fear , alarm dread apprehension
( rooted in bhī to fear for , be anxious about )
vai an emphasis and affirmation , generally placed after a word and laying stress on it (it is usually translatable by 'indeed' , 'truly' , 'certainly' )
bhavati or bhava भव arising or produced from , being in

Anirudh
27 December 2012, 11:21 PM
dvitiyad vai bhayam bhavati

Pranaam Yajvan,

Thanks for sharing the reference from Upanishad along with the word by word meaning. I am yet to appreciate and accept Advaita in its true sense. May be Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu feels that its time to illuminate me further in the course of my spiritual quest...

-~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~
And now the question with a brief write up ......

As long as I see my body and my soul as two different entities and that one is destined to be destroyed and the other will find multiple bodies to nullify the accumulated Karma, there is no disconect in my thinking process.

The moment I start seeing no difference between my soul and Bhagwaan, end up in chaos. I am trying my best to articulate few of the questions that are overwhelming me :

1. What is this soul all about?

2. if its not different from Bhagwaan how does it accumulate Karma.

3. Isn't Karma an intrinsic property of the soul, if not then why it carry forward along with it to the next body.

4. If my soul and Bhagwaan are one and the same, then why Bhagwaan does not accumulate Karma?

What i tend to believe is that, I haven't correctly conceptualized the meaning of Soul or Aatma or Brahmaan or what ever the word that accurately substitutes the thing I am referring to.

Can you point out a link or clarify the meaning of Aatma or Soul. If there is no confusion in conceptualizing Aatma, then that would be my starting point to explore Advaita...

Thanks in advance!!

PS : In my understanding Bhagwaan and Paramaatma are one the same

Amrut
28 December 2012, 01:06 AM

thank you

Namaste,
As a Human being, no matter how much philosophy we may put forward to debate, we are not free of fear.

Above explanations are very good.

I would like to share my way.

When you feel fear at that very moment, pray to God to take away.

Swami Chinmaya said, "The Glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time you fall"

Also find the root cause of fear (practical approach and not advaita) will help too. I am saying not advaita as Yajvan ji has correctly said, fear is born out of duality, but we are still in duality. So the permanent cure is to be in non-dual state.

But for practical purpose, you pray to God to take away fear and give devotion helps. Also finding root cause help. e.g. you are afraid of failure. Then work on it, spiritually.

Since there are many approaches, so the answers differs. What kind of fear you have? Would you like to share.

Aum
Indiaspirituality

wundermonk
28 December 2012, 08:02 AM

You have asked a question pertaining to Advaita. The Advaitin response is that Brahman (Jiva's essence) does NOT transmigrate. What accumulates Karma and reincarnates/transmigrates is basically the sukshma sarira. This is basically prakriti that has Brahman's light within it. The essence of the Jiva is that it is simply the pure unadulterated witness. Neither pleasure nor pain touches it. Causality applies only to Prakriti insofar as it is illuminated by Brahman's light.

Twilightdance
28 December 2012, 08:16 AM
how does one eliminate fear...

thank you

By looking straight back at it. This wud be the permanent and sure shot method of dealing with fear without the need of faith or support of a diety or God. Can vouch works very well, not just for fear but all other mental sufferings like sorrow and depression.

orlando
28 December 2012, 09:21 AM
Namaste seekinganswers!

I strongly suggest you practice both bhakti(devotion to God) and Brahmacharya(chastity).

I copy and past from http://www.dlshq.org/download/brahma_nopic.htm
Those who have not observed the vow of celibacy become the slaves of anger, jealousy, laziness and fear.

Pranama,
Orlando.

Amrut
28 December 2012, 09:28 AM
Namaste seekinganswers!

I strongly suggest you practice both bhakti(devotion to God) and Brahmacharya(chastity).

I copy and past from http://www.dlshq.org/download/brahma_nopic.htm
Those who have not observed the vow of celibacy become the slaves of anger, jealousy, laziness and fear.

Pranama,
Orlando.

Good point orlando. Mostly one never thinks about it.

Aum
Indiaspirituality

Amrut
28 December 2012, 09:59 AM
Pranaam Yajvan,

Thanks for sharing the reference from Upanishad along with the word by word meaning. I am yet to appreciate and accept Advaita in its true sense. May be Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu feels that its time to illuminate me further in the course of my spiritual quest...

-~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~ -~-~
And now the question with a brief write up ......

As long as I see my body and my soul as two different entities and that one is destined to be destroyed and the other will find multiple bodies to nullify the accumulated Karma, there is no disconect in my thinking process.

The moment I start seeing no difference between my soul and Bhagwaan, end up in chaos. I am trying my best to articulate few of the questions that are overwhelming me :

1. What is this soul all about?

3. Isn't Karma an intrinsic property of the soul, if not then why it carry forward along with it to the next body.

4. If my soul and Bhagwaan are one and the same, then why Bhagwaan does not accumulate Karma?

What i tend to believe is that, I haven't correctly conceptualized the meaning of Soul or Aatma or Brahmaan or what ever the word that accurately substitutes the thing I am referring to.

Can you point out a link or clarify the meaning of Aatma or Soul. If there is no confusion in conceptualizing Aatma, then that would be my starting point to explore Advaita...

Thanks in advance!!

PS : In my understanding Bhagwaan and Paramaatma are one the same

If you want to understand advaita, please read Prakarana Grantha - Tatva Bodha (http://www.shankaracharya.org/tattvabodha.php)

And to understand the formation of universe i.e. from formless to form, please read Panchikaranam (http://www.shankaracharya.org/panchikaranam.php)

Also refer Panchadasi part 2 (http://www.advaita.org.uk/discourses/james_swartz/panchadasi2.htm)

Direct download - PDF (238 pages) (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.shiningworld.com/top/images/stories/pub-pdfs/Books/Panchadasi.pdf&sa=U&ei=P73dUK-OMMPSmAXO8oHADA&ved=0CAoQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGI6w6bjN_2h_KzU2vidR_MiJWFfQ)

Bhagawan is Mayapati or swami of maya, which is brahman. Ishwara has six qualities. Ishwara can ever free and can enter into advaita state at will and can manifest in any form at will.

Six qualities or 6 attributes of Ishwara are

1. Jnana
2. Vairagya
3. Aishwarya
4. Sri
5. Kirti
6. Saundarya

Source: (http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/H%20-%20World%20Religions%20and%20Poetry/World%20Religions/From%20the%20Indian%20Tradition/Teachers%20from%20the%20Indian%20Tradition/Swami%20Sivananda/Sure%20Ways%20for%20Success,%20Chapter%20One/Chapter%20One.htm)

He has six attributes, viz., Jnana (intelligence), Vairagya (dispassion), Saundarya or Madhurya (beauty and grace), Aishwarya (Siddhis or powers), Sri (wealth), and Kirti (fame).

AFAIK, bhagawan, brahman, parabrahman, paramatma, mula brahman, ishwara are one and same thing. Only when you give a definite name like Bhagawan Ram, etc, then they become Saguna Brahman i.e. Brahman with form.

some say

saguna Brahma, Ishwara, Bhagawan mean one and the same and
Brahman, Nirguna Brahman, Atman, Nirakara Brahman, para Brahman, Mula Brahman, Paramatma are one and the same. Different schools talk of same tatva in different ways.

EDIT1:

When the incarnated soul (jiva) is termed or defined as atman, then it's atman and paramatman.

God with god and without form are like fire and it's warmth.

EDIT2:

If you feel you are getting inspiration to shift to advaita then this link (http://indiaspirituality.blogspot.in/search/label/Symbolic%20Meaning%20of%20Rama) might be of some help.

P.S. You will have to read it from bottom to top.

Aum
Indiaspirituality

Anirudh
28 December 2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks you Indiaspirituality for the links you have provided especially the Tattva Bodha. It s answering every question I can think off.

Thank you wundermonk for the explanation.

I am feeling very happy to be a part of this intellectually motivating forum!!

Amrut
28 December 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks you Indiaspirituality for the links you have provided especially the Tattva Bodha. It s answering every question I can think off.

Thank you wundermonk for the explanation.

I am feeling very happy to be a part of this intellectually motivating forum!!

No problem :)

Just to make a note, I have edited my post 2 times and added parts after EDIT 1 and EDIT 2

Tatva Bodha is a very basic text. Adi Shankaracharya created it for new comers to familiarize them with advaita concepts.

Aum

Viraja
28 December 2012, 03:00 PM
Namaste,

Fearsome situations can be categorized into 2:

1. Truly fearsome situations for any - such as encountering a Lion in a forest. Out of such situations, it is only the divine that can save us.

2. Psychological fears - such as stage fear. Upon introspection, it seems that these are always the bi-product of 'not knowing the unknown' factor. For example, we do not know what would happen while we are in the middle of our speech/play, will we forget our lines? Will the audience get agitated and give out a negative response? Will we faint?

So in anticipation of an adverse situation, if we give proper preparation in advance, such as practicing the speech many times before a small audience, having a back-up in case something undue should happen can help reduce our fears. Isn't a treatment method such as 'Selective exposure' practiced in psychotherapy to address psychological fears? It is a similar approach.

Lastly but not the least, boosting one's confidence level is a must in eliminating psychological fears. Maintaining an active lifestyle, having many friends and social gatherings, exercise, devotion and so forth - positive lifestyle changes might boost one's confidence level.

Arjunesh
28 December 2012, 03:40 PM
Anirudh wrote:

I found the way to eliminate the fear on the day of this Vaikunta Ekadasi. I fully believe Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu created certain situation in life which prompted me to dwell and as a result got the answer.

Who is Shree raama chandra Prabhu?

Viraja
30 December 2012, 08:55 AM
Anirudh wrote:

Who is Shree raama chandra Prabhu?

Shree raama chandra Prabhu is the valourous king/diety and hero of the epic Ramayana, popularly referred to as Rama.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WIMIlG1snfI/ThQGil62OTI/AAAAAAAAAMY/pcll6P8U6uo/s400/lord-rama-QC96_l.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WIMIlG1snfI/ThQGil62OTI/AAAAAAAAAMY/pcll6P8U6uo/s1600/lord-rama-QC96_l.jpg)

Pranam.

Arjunesh
03 January 2013, 11:15 AM
Shree raama chandra Prabhu is the valourous king/diety and hero of the epic Ramayana, popularly referred to as Rama.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WIMIlG1snfI/ThQGil62OTI/AAAAAAAAAMY/pcll6P8U6uo/s400/lord-rama-QC96_l.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WIMIlG1snfI/ThQGil62OTI/AAAAAAAAAMY/pcll6P8U6uo/s1600/lord-rama-QC96_l.jpg)

Pranam.

Thank you I only knew Rama but didnt know the full name.

Necromancer
04 January 2013, 03:21 AM
First of all, Arjunesh - your signature picture makes me shed tears.

Secondly, I find that self-inquiry is a good start to eliminating fear.

Ask yourself "what is it that I am afraid of?" and "why do I feel this way?" see if that fear has any basis to circumstance or if you just feel it for no reason at all.

Sometimes we seem to be gripped by fear without reason, like somebody walked over our graves or something, but that passes and you should try to let such fears just pass, as they will.

I am afraid of failure and 'not being good enough'. I have to let my self-standards (ego) slip a bit and yeah, I am really working on that, trust me. lol

I also fear dying (not death itself) and that's a big one, but I hope my Lord Shiva will lovingly guide me through that transition when the time comes.

...and I have my worldly fears, like cash flow crisis and threat of eviction coz I gotta live and eat.

Fear, for me, is not something I gotta 'eliminate' more than something I gotta learn how to live with.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Arjunesh
05 January 2013, 06:30 AM
For me is the easiest way Vipassana-meditation to get rid of fear.

Arjunesh
06 January 2013, 08:55 AM
First of all, Arjunesh - your signature picture makes me shed tears.

Secondly, I find that self-inquiry is a good start to eliminating fear.

Ask yourself "what is it that I am afraid of?" and "why do I feel this way?" see if that fear has any basis to circumstance or if you just feel it for no reason at all.

Sometimes we seem to be gripped by fear without reason, like somebody walked over our graves or something, but that passes and you should try to let such fears just pass, as they will.

I am afraid of failure and 'not being good enough'. I have to let my self-standards (ego) slip a bit and yeah, I am really working on that, trust me. lol

I also fear dying (not death itself) and that's a big one, but I hope my Lord Shiva will lovingly guide me through that transition when the time comes.

...and I have my worldly fears, like cash flow crisis and threat of eviction coz I gotta live and eat.

Fear, for me, is not something I gotta 'eliminate' more than something I gotta learn how to live with.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I dont know what you mean. I said I get rid of fear by vipassana - it means I have not much fear.

Necromancer
06 January 2013, 11:02 PM
Oh just the beautiful picture above my previous post. I was so taken with its beauty, I thought it was in your signature for a second there. Just an honest boo-boo. Sorry.

Anyway, the reason why I am revisiting this. It's because of an insight I had last night whilst answering a question about divine Vahanas.

Lord Ganesha's mount is a little mouse. For ages, I have wondered how Lord Ganesha can ride on a little mouse...aren't elephants 'sposed to be terrified of mice anyway?

Don't elephants think that mice will crawl up their trunks and suffocate them or something...?

Here we have Lord Ganesha sharing laddhus with the little critter...making friends with it. Making friends with his fear...if you pray to Lord Ganesha, he'll remove the obstacle of fear from your path.

Once fear becomes your 'friend', then you can use it as nature had intended, for survival and to do human things. It's only when it holds you back, is it a bad thing.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Amrut
07 January 2013, 03:07 AM
Thank you I only knew Rama but didn't know the full name.

There are 3 avatars of same name

Birth name : Popular name
Rama : Parshurama - Rama with an axe. Known after he killed army of 10,000 soldiers with single axe.
Rama Chandra : Rama
Rama : Balrama - Powerful Rama, he was very strong (balram)

Arjunesh
07 January 2013, 06:57 PM
Oh just the beautiful picture above my previous post. I was so taken with its beauty, I thought it was in your signature for a second there. Just an honest boo-boo. Sorry.

Anyway, the reason why I am revisiting this. It's because of an insight I had last night whilst answering a question about divine Vahanas.

Lord Ganesha's mount is a little mouse. For ages, I have wondered how Lord Ganesha can ride on a little mouse...aren't elephants 'sposed to be terrified of mice anyway?

Don't elephants think that mice will crawl up their trunks and suffocate them or something...?

Here we have Lord Ganesha sharing laddhus with the little critter...making friends with it. Making friends with his fear...if you pray to Lord Ganesha, he'll remove the obstacle of fear from your path.

Once fear becomes your 'friend', then you can use it as nature had intended, for survival and to do human things. It's only when it holds you back, is it a bad thing.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I thought Ganesh is sitting on a rat.

Necromancer
08 January 2013, 06:15 PM
I thought Ganesh is sitting on a rat.
It can be either/or, but usually it's a mouse.

So, one of my fears became realised yesterday. I am being evicted.

This flat I rent is so old, it's falling apart and the developers want to demolish it along with a few neighbouring units, build a condominium on the site and let it out to young, working families (not single people) at double the rent I am currently paying. My country town is turning into 'Legoland' and has been engulfed in the 'urban sprawl' that is Sydney, Australia. I live 150kms away from Sydney.

I have been living here for 10 years and I pay $200/wk rent. Flats/houses/units within a 500km radius are all let out at $400/wk now and I am on Social Security payments because I cannot find employment and thus cannot afford them. I am being kicked out onto the street. I have 90 days to vacate.

There is only one option for me now. In her will, my grandmother left me a tiny cottage on 1/3 acre in the middle of nowhere about 70kms from here. It has no power, sewer, town water and I cannot afford to get them put on like never, but at least it's a 'roof overhead' protecting me from the elements and that's all.

The land is inaccessible by road, it's built on the side of a stone mountain (the soil is barren) and actually, the land is totally worthless and it cannot be sold (I have tried many times before...even giving the damn thing away...nobody wants to pay the rates on it, even).

So, Lord Shiva wants me to renounce the world now, it seems. I am cool with that (but I wish I had sewerage, if anything). lol

Aum Namah Shivaya

Sonia84
20 March 2013, 12:02 AM
When you feel fear of something unfamiliar, take it as a sign that you need to get to know a person or situation better.