PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Vegetarianism

penguin10916
29 December 2012, 10:30 PM
I was vegetarian for about a year in high school and for the first 2/3s of it, I felt amazing... didn't get sick at all, had a lot of energy and just felt good overall. However, when I began introducing soy (mostly fake-meats) into my diet, all of that changed and I started getting sick and just feeling groggy... I was wondering if there was an alternative to soy that I could take and season in order to use as a substitute for the nights when I'm cooking for the omnivorous fam and I'd want to have something to mix the sauce, stir fry or whatever I'm cooking into for the sake of balance.

Adhvagat
31 December 2012, 09:16 PM
You can make good meat substitutes for burgers, for example, out of chickpea, I have no idea how, I'm not a good cook. So try some googling or searching for some good vegetarian chefs. It's a lot better than soy burgers.

IMO and experience, SOY SUCKS! It's a very poor quality aliment specially in its textured protein form (that looks like grinded meat). So I removed it from my daily meals.

Adhvagat
31 December 2012, 09:27 PM
Here's some help:

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-10-vegetarian-meat-substitutes-678793.html

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/high-protein-vegetarian-food/

http://holisticprimarycare.net/topics/topics-a-g/cooking-for-health/1281-meet-the-meatless-a-guide-to-vegetarian-meat-substitutes

penguin10916
31 December 2012, 10:59 PM
Hmm... definitely looks interesting. And yea, I actually think it's the high sodium that is found among processed soy products especially "soy meats." Chickpeas actually look good and I think I may have had it before at my old university because this chickpea burger recipe I found looks identical to the "vegetarian burgers" that they sold... and they did always say they weren't soy based =p

Jainarayan
01 January 2013, 12:04 PM
Namaste penguin.

...However, when I began introducing soy (mostly fake-meats) into my diet, all of that changed and I started getting sick and just feeling groggy...

...I actually think it's the high sodium that is found among processed soy products especially "soy meats."

While soy products can be high in sodium, my bet is that the soy was interfering with your production and/or usage of thyroid hormones. It's extensively documented. Slowed thyroid function will cause grogginess, weight gain, a generally crappy feeling, and those are just the mild symptoms.

For some people soy is just plain poison. And if you are on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, the soy will especially render the medication(s) (there are two commonly used) almost useless. The soy will bind with the replacement hormone. Because I do use soy, my thyroid meds. (I use both of them) are adjusted upwards to compensate.

Believe me, I've learned "a bit" :p about this in 33 years. Feeling crappy from soy for a short time, then feeling better without it speaks volumes about you not being able to handle it. That's my soy rant for the day. ;)

Jainarayan
01 January 2013, 12:13 PM
Namaste Pietro.

You can make good meat substitutes for burgers, for example, out of chickpea, I have no idea how, I'm not a good cook.

Meh, who needs chickpea burgers when you can take a pocket flat bread, aka pita, and fill it with hummus. The hummus doesn't have to have a lot of oil; a little peanut butter (natural is best, with no sugar added) will substitute for tahini (the sesame seed = of p.b.), but with a slightly different flavor. Add finely chopped olives, any color bell peppers, carrots, undressed coleslaw even. Everyone has imagination (well almost everyone :p).

Hmm... I'm out of that stuff right now. Brb, going food shopping... :D

penguin10916
01 January 2013, 12:18 PM
Namaste Pietro.

Meh, who needs chickpea burgers when you can take a pocket flat bread, aka pita, and fill it with hummus. The hummus doesn't have to have a lot of oil; a little peanut butter (natural is best, with no sugar added) will substitute for tahini (the sesame seed = of p.b.), but with a slightly different flavor. Add finely chopped olives, any color bell peppers, carrots, undressed coleslaw even. Everyone has imagination (well almost everyone :p).

Lol... that sounds a bit revolting on paper, but may actually taste good. XD And yea, I can see the thyroid issue. Either way, I'm just going to avoid soy and focus on other supplements. If anything, cheese will probably be my friend again like it was prior to soy :D

Adhvagat
02 January 2013, 12:30 AM
Namaste Pietro.

I have no idea what you suggested might look or taste like.

But I like flat bread with hummus. :)

Jainarayan
02 January 2013, 06:53 AM
Hummus with vegetables. There are commercially prepared brands with all kinds of flavors and ingredients.

Gaurapriya
02 January 2013, 12:25 PM
Hmm... definitely looks interesting. And yea, I actually think it's the high sodium that is found among processed soy products especially "soy meats." Chickpeas actually look good and I think I may have had it before at my old university because this chickpea burger recipe I found looks identical to the "vegetarian burgers" that they sold... and they did always say they weren't soy based =p

You can make a few preparations using chickpea flour.

To make my friend's stepmother's chickpea burgers, she puts in chickpea flour, self-raising flour, oatmeal, shredded vegetable, peanut butter, soy sauce, poultry seasoning, asafoetida, pepper, a little salt, and water. Form into patties, fry, and voila! :P Don't forget to offer them to Sri Bhagavan first.

You can also make veggie burgers from lentils, and even grain (although I've never tried making the latter!)

To make kofta balls (veggie meatballs), mix in grated or shredded vegetable (carrots, beets, cabbage, what have you) with salt, cumin, coriander powder, asafoetida, and pepper (and whatever other spices you want... I add in Italian seasoning!), add in chickpea flour until it is malleable into small balls.

Fry the kofta balls in oil on low-medium or medium heat until the the balls are quite darkened browned (not charred, LOL), and then soak them in tomato sauce. Let them sit from ten minutes to an hour.

Voila! You can have spaghetti and veggie meatballs. :) Offer, and serve with parmesan. :D

~*~*~*~*~

In regards to soy, I've never really had problems with it. But then again, I not only have oriental blood, but I also don't overdo the soy products. Your body needs nutrients, vitamins and minerals from all sources of food, and having a variety is super important in maintaining vegetarianism and health.

Good luck!
Haribol.

penguin10916
04 January 2013, 11:57 AM
You can make a few preparations using chickpea flour.

To make my friend's stepmother's chickpea burgers, she puts in chickpea flour, self-raising flour, oatmeal, shredded vegetable, peanut butter, soy sauce, poultry seasoning, asafoetida, pepper, a little salt, and water. Form into patties, fry, and voila! :P Don't forget to offer them to Sri Bhagavan first.

You can also make veggie burgers from lentils, and even grain (although I've never tried making the latter!)

To make kofta balls (veggie meatballs), mix in grated or shredded vegetable (carrots, beets, cabbage, what have you) with salt, cumin, coriander powder, asafoetida, and pepper (and whatever other spices you want... I add in Italian seasoning!), add in chickpea flour until it is malleable into small balls.

Fry the kofta balls in oil on low-medium or medium heat until the the balls are quite darkened browned (not charred, LOL), and then soak them in tomato sauce. Let them sit from ten minutes to an hour.

Voila! You can have spaghetti and veggie meatballs. :) Offer, and serve with parmesan. :D

~*~*~*~*~

In regards to soy, I've never really had problems with it. But then again, I not only have oriental blood, but I also don't overdo the soy products. Your body needs nutrients, vitamins and minerals from all sources of food, and having a variety is super important in maintaining vegetarianism and health.

Good luck!
Haribol.

Definitely might have to experiment with some of those combinations you mentioned before. And yea, I'm just avoiding soy except for mb the rare case where I go to a restaurant or something and they serve steamed soybeans in their pods with a lil salt added. Ugh, tis terrible having the flu atm though... I've barely eaten anything in the last 3 days... >_>

Gaurapriya
06 January 2013, 02:14 PM
Definitely might have to experiment with some of those combinations you mentioned before. And yea, I'm just avoiding soy except for mb the rare case where I go to a restaurant or something and they serve steamed soybeans in their pods with a lil salt added. Ugh, tis terrible having the flu atm though... I've barely eaten anything in the last 3 days... >_>

Aww... :( Honey!

I hope you get better!

You should be eating kitchri, congee, and drinking lots of ginger-lemon-honey tea! Health is so important, and how can you practice on your sadhana if you're not taking care of your body? :)

I have no idea with proportions, but recipes abound online. :P Soy should be easy to avoid, and you can get your protein through lentils, chickpeas, beans and all dairy products (especially paneer). Good luck, and get better soon. :o

Haribol!

penguin10916
11 January 2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the wishes of good health, I'm just about over this =p I'm thinking within the week, I'll be back to normal. But yea, overall, I'm definitely looking forward to starting the new sem at school because I already talked to the chef who makes vegetarian meals when requested, so I'm thinking that will definitely help out even if I end up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches more than once a week =p

Gaurapriya
13 January 2013, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the wishes of good health, I'm just about over this =p I'm thinking within the week, I'll be back to normal. But yea, overall, I'm definitely looking forward to starting the new sem at school because I already talked to the chef who makes vegetarian meals when requested, so I'm thinking that will definitely help out even if I end up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches more than once a week =p

I'm very glad that you're getting a little better! :)

Hopefully you'll get a little more than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches though! If you can somehow find some vegetarians at your school, maybe they can help you out with... well, eating on a daily and weekly basis, lol! :p

shivrudraksha
04 July 2013, 01:54 AM
well they simplest solution to all such problems and question is that one should what ones body can sustain. if the person is happy and healthy eating veg and vice versa then so be it.

meat is known for its high protein content. if you are having problem with meat then go for pulses like daal and soya beans. rajma daal is a excellent source of protein. try them.

Ashcooper
05 July 2013, 09:35 AM
I've been reading a lot on the vegetarian diet, however also have problems with keeping too it:
this might sound odd, but as a westerner, it's almost bred into us to eat meat as a primary food source and vegetables as a necessary addition to food, a good example of the mentality is parents to a "full" child, will say "if you eat your meat you can leave the rest" and for a long time it's etched in that meat has an importance.

Since i started reading the gita, i immediately felt guilt for the animals i had consumed, I then went vegeterain for 2 and a half weeks, I cooked better, with more ingredients, ate more fruit, my health made a slight improvement too. aswel as my general well-being internally.

The issue is: ( as you may tell i am currently still eating meat, and ailed after 2 weeks)

Because, food is very expensive, often meat is a cheaper alternative and offers more in terms of calories. vegetarian food has an even further increased price just for it being vegetarian.
And when i eat just what i can afford without meat, i get a gradually increasing feeling of starving, i actually feel like I'm dying until i eat some meat for the protein, like it feels like you absorb somethings strength when you eat the flesh, but also i get encumbered by guilt and stained with death.

I want to stick to my guns and be vegetarian in my heart, i know its the right path.
But as you can tell, im having a very hard time finding ways to afford it, to mix it up so i get the energy i need, and to get rid of the meat cravings.

Believer
05 July 2013, 06:16 PM
Namaste,

I never considered vegetarian food to be more expensive than meat, unless one went to the fancy stores like Whole Foods where every apple is 'gift wrapped and labeled organic' and sold for $5 a piece. Vegetables at Asian (Oriental)/Indian stores are normally fresh and reasonably priced. They may be overpriced in some parts of the country because of their geographical distance from the source. Good luck with your diet pattern.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=102982&postcount=18

Pranam.

PS Please use black color for your text as black and white combination for the text and background is the easiest one on the eyes.

Eastern Mind
05 July 2013, 09:36 PM
this might sound odd, but as a westerner, it's almost bred into us to eat meat as a primary food source and vegetables as a necessary addition to food, a good example of the mentality is parents to a "full" child, will say "if you eat your meat you can leave the rest" and for a long time it's etched in that meat has an importance.

Vannakkm: I'm sorry you are having difficulties. I too am a westerner, and I was raised on meat and potatoes. Almost 40 years ago, I went vegetarian. There were some social difficulties at first, but now I find it incredibly easy. Definitely it's cheaper, but you need to know what to eat. A 10 k bag of brown rice and an equal one of red dal is probably more protein than 100 pounds of meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Caltha
05 July 2013, 10:47 PM
Namaste,

I, too, had problems with meat cravings for about a year I think. But little by little they went away. It takes a while to get used to a new way of eating. As Eastern Mind mentioned, rice and beans are inexpensive and satisfying. I like toast with peanut butter -- especially substantial whole wheat toast and natural peanut butter.

Where we live you can get really good felafel sandwiches, and that is generally what we get when we are on the go and need a quick meal out.

We had had some favorite recipes with meat and sauce. We found that some of these recipes are quite nice with fried paneer instead of meat.

I was surprised to find that once I stopped eating meat, I started appreciating the textures and flavors of vegetables much more. They really turned into stars!

And, I kind of hate to say it, but we eat fake-meat sausages for a quick meal now and then. In a bun, with ketchup and mustard. Not really meat, but close enough to scratch that itch. It's only been about 3 years since we stopped eating meat. I really do think that the fake sausages help keep the cravings down, at least for me.

Pranam.

Ashcooper
06 July 2013, 11:54 AM
The felafels are one of the nicest things iv'e ever put in my mouth, and as an alternative to meat, i thought to make them into pates for burgers etc. i could do with knowing how to buy them myself though, cause an example of price.

40.00 a week the average brit spends on food shopping.
6 felafels at sainsburys cost, 3.40.
Chick peas, butter beans etc there all cheap and cheerful, but I want to eat more than beans... I'm a good cook, and like most veg, I hated mushrooms and garlic until i tried being vegetarian to see how i would hold up, and now i can eat anything green or earthy.
I have a collection of herbs, massala, tumeric, etc..

But once again, herbs are expensive, and meat substitutes like qourn, personally i think are disgusting.
I know in my heart that its right to abscond from meat, and i do feel guilt.

But for any big meat consumer, the meat sweats come after quitting, and they aren't nice either. i feel hungry all the time, unless i could find other alternatives to felafels, they filled me like a real burger does, i think me believing protein is sourced from meat is all in my head. but it's hard to break even though i know the truth.

I even feel bad eating fish... do hindu's eat fish?

It's focus i require aswel i think, and support, and i'm really thankful a place like this exists, because for someone like me, your average white kid trapped in the city, there are not many outlets for this type of discussion, nor a hindu temple in miles. though i would really like to visit a few in England i have been told about.

Is there maybe a shopping list for the vegetarian on a budget? less a list, maybe more meal ideas, substantial meals i can cook and freeze for the week?

Believer
07 July 2013, 06:01 PM
Namaste,

It is sad to see someone feel guilty about his dietary habits and try to impose a lifestyle on oneself that the body may not be ready for.

It is desirable to have a vegetarian diet, but to do self-loathing and carrying a guilty consciousness when the cravings never cease is aweful. The spiritual level and the need/desire for physical things, including certain types of food have to be brought in synch. To that end why not try to give up meat in stages. One could give up one type of meat every 1-2-3-6 months, as the system permits and not force a 'no meat' diet overnight. In the mean time one could also get deeper into japa/puja/chanting/meditation etc. to immerse oneself in the cleansing process. As the consciousness gets cleansed and rises to higher levels, the desire for undesirable food items tends to decrease and then vanishes.

There is an endless list of vegetables and daals available in India, which may have its limitations in some areas of the foreign lands. Here are some of the websites for recipes for vegetarian dishes:

http://www.indianfoodforever.com/vegetables/
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/world-cuisine/asian/indian/main-dishes/vegetarian/
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/ethnicrecipes/qt/vegindian.htm

One of the requirements of saatvic food is that it must be fresh, as it has to be offered to the Lord before one consumes it as his meal. To that end it is desirable to cook everyday rather than cook a whole lot and freeze it. But understanding the constraints of modern life and the availability of refrigerators/freezers to keep food from spoiling, cooking for the whole week and freezing it should be acceptable.

One of the easiest things to make is pakoras which are filling but being deep fried, are a bit high in fat content,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-7XQLmv7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DXwClK36yU
https://www.google.com/search?q=indian+pakora+recipes&client=firefox-a&hs=O1J&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5_HZUfSnM-KZjAKm-YCIAg&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1012&bih=433

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
07 July 2013, 06:19 PM
It's focus i require aswel i think, and support, and i'm really thankful a place like this exists, because for someone like me, your average white kid trapped in the city, there are not many outlets for this type of discussion, nor a hindu temple in miles. though i would really like to visit a few in England i have been told about.

Vannakkam: This one http://www.venkateswara.org.uk/ seems like its really close. I find temples using the google maps 'search nearby' function. There were a couple even closer than that one.

Best wishes on the vegetarianism. One of the common myths is that vegetarians need to replace their protein extensively. It's just not true as the average meat eater gets somethinglike 400% of their daily protein requirement. So you needn't worry about that, if someone mentions that as a concern.

Aum Namasivaya

Ashcooper
08 July 2013, 05:24 AM
Thank you for the advice and links. I like the idea of stages to be honest, that seems as it may be a more productive way.
My guilt for meat may never fade though because I have killed and ingested quite a few animals in the past, (I grew up near a forest).
I have a massive desire to purge my system of these things, smoking is another issue, however suited for a different discussion.

Thank you again, I really like dhal aswel, so I'm hoping these links benefit my cooking and well-being, I feel more at ease just having access to this place on the internet, between you guys and Ganesha i feel supported.