PDA

View Full Version : Question on Shrines/Murti

Eric11235
30 December 2012, 10:00 AM
Vannakam,

I am in the process of building my first (small) shrine and have a quick question.

I live in two places with roughly 2/3 of the year at school and the other 1/3 at home.

Is it ok to move one's altar to ones current place of residence?

If so, is there any special procedure for moving the altar and murti contained within

Thanks for your answers

Namaste

Sanja
30 December 2012, 03:26 PM
Namasté Eric,

Is it ok to move one's altar to ones current place of residence?

Of course it is. :) It's your altar, it should be where you are.

If so, is there any special procedure for moving the altar and murti contained within

I don't remember hearing about a special procedure but it might be a little bit harder for a while to get into a meditation or prayer after moving, because all Symbols, Images and Murti are "charged" with the energy of your emotional relationship to your God. By moving it, it takes on the information of the surrounding and gets sort of "disturbed".
Maybe it's not too relevant, but in case it is, it could be usefull to do a little "cleaning and recharging" ritual.
Maybe there is a ritual like this in hindu dharma, I don't know. But you can always do your own ritual, like lighting incense sticks and candles, chanting and visualizing your Murti in golden light e.g.

Maybe someone else can supply the information, if there are special procedures for it.

Best wishes...

Viraja
30 December 2012, 03:45 PM
it could be usefull to do a little "cleaning and recharging" ritual.
Maybe there is a ritual like this in hindu dharma, I don't know.

This is a nice idea.. Being a female, after the monthly cycles, I do a little cleaning/fresh application of sandal paste and kumkum to all the diety pictures. Having set up my diety pictures in a small cupboard which I leave open during the cycles and use the room too, I feel as if a certain amount of energy associated with the dieties gets tarnished during these cycle periods by having them open. When I do the cleaning and sandal/kumkum ritual, I feel they are reverted back to the original prestine state. Maybe this is the cleanliness ritual that is needed? Do not know. :)

Anirudh
31 December 2012, 04:41 PM
Namsate Eric,

I have observed special procedure are followed while moving deities in almost all temples for eg when they go around the prahara. A deity is a deity irrespective of its place, so, from my observation, I think there should be a procedure for that. But I can not tell you the procedure because I don't know them.

When I move the altar from one premise to another (Every alternative year I am forced to move to a different location), make it a point to move the altar diligently as though I am carrying a just born baby.

ShivaFan
01 January 2013, 12:16 AM
Namaste

I sort of agree with Anirudh, though I myself do not know the ritual. I know there is a difference depending on if the Murthi(s) are from a temple and given puja by Brahmins, or if they are the "clan" Murthi(s) (almost as important), or Ishta Murthi(s) or household.

I do know, that my understanding is if the Murthi had the ceremony of opening the eyes, then there is definitely a sacred procedure that needs to be done, though Murthi(s) are taken out on procession in vehicles such as to meet another Murthi or other such holy events so yes you can move the Murthi but if it had the "eye opening" rite (or the "needle" rite) and such then this is different than for example a household Murthi. Of course even with household Murthi, such as your shrine, I would think you need to talk with the Murthi about the move, and probably do the advice of cleaning for the special event. It would be nice if you could "close the door" of the shrine house or chamber if that is where your Murthi sits or stands inside. Then when you reopen it, you should have incense already burning and ready to do puja and offerings just as you open the castle or shrine house.

Anyway that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Om Namah Sivaya

yajvan
01 January 2013, 04:18 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

It is what you bring to the shrine that is in you that is of most value. Purity of thought, of awareness, of vastness.

iti śivaṁ