PDA

View Full Version : Proper Introduction

Jeffery D. Long
02 January 2013, 07:51 PM
Namaste!

I jumped into this forum a couple of weeks ago without ever properly introducing myself. I apologize for that, and for any misunderstanding that might have resulted.

My name is Jeff (Jeffery D. Long). I was not born Hindu (in this life at least) and am not of Indian descent. I grew up in a small town in Missouri and was raised to be religious, but also independent-minded. My father died when I was twelve years old, due to a terrible accident from which he had suffered a year and a half earlier. I already found religion and philosophy interesting, but the loss of my father sparked an intensive quest for the meaning and purpose of life, especially with regard to the nature of suffering and the question of the afterlife. I had been introduced by the religion of my upbringing to the idea of a loving Supreme Being, which I found deeply comforting. But I found Christian thinking on the topic of the afterlife to be deeply unsatisfactory. I was also repulsed by the bigotry I saw in the belief that only Christians could achieve salvation. The Bhagavad Gītā came into my life when I was thirteen and, from the moment I started reading it, I could not put it down. Here, I found, was the worldview that I already held (though I had not really had the words for it before that time). I began a lifelong study of many religions and eventually took up a career as a professor of religious studies, but it was always the Hindu worldview that seemed to me to be the most comprehensive: to have the answers that I found in bits and pieces of the other traditions, but all together in one highly logical and compelling package in Hinduism.

All of this would simply make me a westerner from a Christian background with a Hindu philosophy; but I have also had the good fortune to marry into a Hindu family. I lived in India for two years and return there every year to visit with my wife's relatives and to participate in both spiritual and academic events. We have been active members of our local temple for the last thirteen years (as long as we have lived where we currently do). We meditate twice daily and do weekly puja at home, as well as Satyanarayana Puja every Purnima (full moon day).

I know that this last part is controversial on this forum, which is more traditional and less "neo" Hindu, but we are also devotees of Sri Ramakrishna. Our diksha guru is a respected monk of the Ramakrishna Order and, while I know there is far more to Hinduism than only their teachings, the particular tradition with which I identify is that of Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda, which has enriched my spiritual life immeasurably.

I am not on this forum to proselytize for my particular form of Hinduism, though, but to learn and to understand as wide a range of Hindu perspectives as possible. I am a member of several online Hindu forums that encompass myriad points of view. This is the one that has challenged me the most, and is therefore the one to which I am most attracted!

I hope to learn from all of you and I hope that I have not unintentionally aggravated anyone too much from the time that I joined.

With pranams and best regards.

Webimpulse
02 January 2013, 08:02 PM
Namaste Mr. Long,

Thank you for posting this proper intro, and having read your background, I can indeed relate in some ways, though not in others; indeed, every case is unique and has something to teach the rest of us. Myself included. I have indeed learned much from you already, and hope to keep learning. :)

Arjuni
02 January 2013, 08:24 PM
Namasté,

Welcome, Jeff; I found your story very interesting. Hopefully the forum will continue to be an educational and engaging challenge. (I would enjoy seeing a discussion about Śrī Ramakrishna here, by the way, as I know little about him.)

Jodhaa
02 January 2013, 08:46 PM
Welcome Jeff!

Thank you for the thorough introduction. Stories like yours are very important for people like me and others who are non-Indian practitioners from the west and very new to Sanatana Dharma. I hope this forum helps enrich your understanding :)

Peace.

Viraja
02 January 2013, 09:08 PM
Namaste Jeff,

I know you very well by now, you generously contributed reputation points to several of my posts ;) Welcome to the forums - I never introduced myself in these forums, so your detailed description makes me feel guilty :) I'm a lurker, been participating on and off - the knowledge in this forum is tremendous! You will enjoy here. :)

Omkara
02 January 2013, 09:41 PM
Welcome!

devotee
02 January 2013, 09:41 PM
Namaste Jeff,

We already know you by your nice posts on this forum. However, it is nice of you to share your brief intro with us. :)

Formally welcome to this forum ! :)

OM

Equinox
03 January 2013, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the forums!

It's interesting to read about your background. Helped me understand where you're coming from. Most people would just give a wishy-washy introduction and thus remain shrouded in mystery. Thank you for a detailed one! :)

Aum Namah Shivaya

Amrut
03 January 2013, 01:03 AM
Namaste Jeff.

Welcome to HDF. Thanks for giving 'Proper introduction'

I too am highly influenced by Sri Ramakrishna and have read his life story for many years (given by my Guru).

I too meditate in the morning and live live an advaita life.

Sri Ramana Maharshi also has great influence on my.

Shri Ramakrishna's bhakti has his intensity of worship stirs my soul and squeezes my heart and many times fills my heart with devotion with tears overflowing from eyes. But one day I was ordered to stop reading Sri Ramakrishna, as he said the purpose of reading with fulfilled. Main thing is to meditate and realize your true nature and not to be dependent upon any external thing.

Aum
Indiaspirituality

wundermonk
03 January 2013, 07:54 AM
I was also repulsed by the bigotry I saw in the belief that only Christians could achieve salvation.

That only the right tiny sect of Abrahamics will enter heaven while the Abrahamic God will roast and toast the remaining majority of humankind forever in a torture chamber that will make Hitler's gassing of the Jews look like a walk in the park is the least of the problems with Abrahamic faiths. :D

I enjoyed your post!

Eastern Mind
03 January 2013, 09:11 AM
Vannakkam Jeffrey: Welcome to HDF.

I've been taking a break from HDF for awhile but I wanted to add some comments about your post.

The subconscious mind is influenced mostly by the early experiences in life. Many converts may think they have converted, but the subconscious still holds onto certain attitudes that are recognisably Abrahamic. This is a lifelong 'exploration' within, to discover what remnants lie there, and then proceed accordingly. It can be wite the challenge some days, this personal brain washing.

Even though I wasn't brought up in Abrahamism at all, simply because of the overwhelming influence it has in western culture, I still hold many beliefs. I'd like to say I don't, but I do.

It's in every Hollywood good/bad movie, in the streets, in food, its all over, and it infiltrates us, whether we like it or not. It's in greetings, in clothing, etc. and many converts don't recognise the extent of it. It's the reason people like me have also adopted as much Indian culture as we possibly can.

Aum Namasivaya

Twilightdance
03 January 2013, 01:05 PM
Welcome, have a nice stay. Whatever issues some of us may have with RKM viewpoints, I am quite liking the ramakrishna aratrikam(arti) song, i found on youtube composed by vivekananda. Admitedly some christian influence is visible...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpwsaPcr04&feature=related

Jeffery D. Long
03 January 2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you, my new friends, for your lovely welcome messages! Individual replies to some of you follow (that may be of general interest, hence my not sending them privately). If I did not reply to you individually, my only response, again, is that I appreciate your kind welcome.

Arjunī: If others are interested in a discussion of Sri Ramakrishna, I would be happy to accommodate, though I also do not want to aggravate those who might not welcome that topic here. In the meantime, I highly, highly recommend Christopher Isherwood's lovely book, 'Sri Ramakrishna and His Disciples.' A great author as well as a great devotee.

If you have 49 minutes to spare, I gave a talk on Sri Ramakrishna at a conference in India last year in celebration of his 175th birth anniversary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_3NfDO494&list=UUnoFZU3TXj0eONRm0ES0nOw&index=10&feature=plcp

And I contributed most of the article in the latest issue of Hinduism Today on his most famous disciple, Swami Vivekananda:
http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=5344

Eastern Mind: Your insightful words reached me today just minutes from the following, related quote from Nisargadatta Maharaj, which appeared on my Facebook newsfeed this morning: "It is very often so with Americans and Europeans. After a stretch of sadhana they become charged with energy and frantically seek an outlet. They organize communities, become teachers of Yoga, marry, write books—anything except keeping quiet and turning their energies within, to find the source of the inexhaustible power and learn the art of keeping it under control." I can see myself in that, and in what you have said as well.

Twilightdance: I love that arati, "Khandana Bhava Bandhana," by Swami Vivekananda! One of the highlights of my life was to be present at the main temple at Belur Math and hear it sung in person by the monks. "Admitedly some christian influence is visible." In me as well. But I feel this is not the forum for exploring that.

I look forward to our future conversations. I may not post frequently, due to my work schedule, but look forward to learning from you all.

the_analyzer
03 January 2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome! Nice to have professors and people in academia on our forum.