PDA

View Full Version : Goddess Maya?

Lokavidu
04 January 2013, 06:45 AM
Hello

I have read that Maya is one of the Goddess in Hinduism but why can't I found Her idol or painting or temple dedicated to Her, the Goddess of Illusion?

Is there any temple for Her? and if not, why?

thank you very much

Viraja
04 January 2013, 07:41 AM
Isn't Kali the same as mother Mahamaya?

I tried to google up answer for this question, and it resulted in me searching for 'Maa Kamakhya devi' and of the 10 Mahavidyas. Associated with the shakta tradition, each of the mahavidyas seem to be an aspect of the divine mother Mahamaya, who was thus understood by me as a summation of these 10 aspects. There is one temple dedicated to Kamakhya devi in Assam. Wiki says she is the same as Kali and of the dasmahavidyas - represents Maha Tripura Sundari. I wonder if she can be considered to be Mahamaya and other mahavidyas her attendants and representatives of other aspects of Mahamaya.

There seems to be a book - "Kamakhya - Sati - Mahamaya" (German Edition) [Paperback] by Sylvia Stapelfeldt.

Jainarayan
04 January 2013, 09:51 AM
Namaste.

I don't know how much in this link is true http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071219090930AAJGnK7 ("they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true"... "where'd you hear that?"... the internet" :p )

Btw, I think this is a beautiful picture, and a keeper.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3313/3433933083_e355375cc0.jpg

What I know of it is that Durga took birth at the same time as Krishna in order to foil Kamsa's plot to kill Krishna. My underatnding is that Durga used Her powers of maya to fool Kamsa, at the same time being born as the sister of Nārāyana. Durga is therefore also called Nārāyanī, sister of Nārāyana. This is in the Śrīmad Bhāgavatam Canto X (Bhāgavata Purāṇa).

Maybe this is what you mean? I'm sure someone will correct and fill this in (I hope ;)). So here goes... hitting Submit Reply.

Lokavidu
04 January 2013, 07:49 PM
thank you for all answers

thank you for the picture and the link, and I think, it is true because the answerer mention his source though I haven't checked the source directly...

JaiMaaDurga
04 January 2013, 09:59 PM
Namaste,

There is nothing wrong with previous replies, I only wish to add:
in the Devi Mahatmyam, "Mahatmaya" is how She is first called, as the
rishi begins his answer to the king and the merchant's dilemma.

JAI MATA DI

kriyarameeshh
03 March 2013, 03:44 PM
Sri Matre Namaha,

adding to what Jaimatadi said, here is an excellent sloka from Durga Saptasati with it's meaning. This Sloka gives a true meaning of maha maya

Jnyaaninaam-Api Ceta-Amsi Devi Bhagavatii Hi Saa |
Balaad-Aakrssya Mohaaya Mahaa-Maayaa Praya-[I]cchati ||1||

Meaning:
1.1: (Salutations to You, O Jagadamba) O Bhagavati Devi (Divine Goddess), the Wisdom of the Jnanis (Spiritually-Evolved or Wise) are Indeed reflection of a Part of Your Consciousness,
1.2: And O Devi Mahamaya (the Great Enchantress), by Your Will, You can also Forcibly Attract their Minds towards Delusion (such is Your Power and Divine Play).

It can be concluded that which is the cause for the entire cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Sri Matre Namaha.

chakreshvari
27 September 2013, 04:03 AM
I thought Kubera's shakti was regarded as Maya Devi? May be wrong....