PDA

View Full Version : Daily Prayer

Gaurapriya
11 January 2013, 04:20 PM
What do you all do for daily prayer?

I do japa of Hare Krishna Mahamantra, and I know there are a few prayers that I could learn... but I do not want to be limited to my tradition.

I have known some who do Sri Vishnu-Sahasra-Nama-Stotram, and others Sri Narayana Suktam, or the Purusha Suktam.

In my tradition, we have our prayers (vande ham shri guroh...) that could be recited to invoke the power of the Gaudiya parampara. My shiksha guru, Srila Sridhar Maharaj, wrote Gaudiya prayers (that I should probably memorise) that he intended for his disciples to memorise and sing ten verses a day: Sri Sri Prema-dhama-deva Stotram (http://www.scsmath.com/books/premadhama-consecutive.pdf).

What do y'all pray every day? :D

Viraja
11 January 2013, 05:02 PM
I'll go first?

I start with a small stotra for Ganesha - Gajananam bhuta ganaathi...'

Then I recite 2 stotras for Ma Saraswathi - for my children to shine in studies.

Then I go with a round (10 times) of Hanuman stotra - 'Bhuddir balam...'.

Then I recite a short stotra on Hanuman (Anjaneya madhipatalaananam) and end with Hanuman Ashtottaram.

Then I recite 'Sri Periyavaachaan pillai's Divyaprabandha Pasura Ramayanam' - this is supposed to bring the effect of having recited Ramayana along with 4000-divya prabandha.
Then I recite Sri Rama raksha mantra - 'Sri Rama Jaya Rama Jaya Jaya Rama' 108 times.

Then I recite 'Sri Mantrarajapada stotram' for Sri Lakshmi Narasimha 3 times (to ward off undue negativity and danger, to ward off some ill-luck that seems to linger with my maternal family).

Then I finally finish with Sri Venkatesa Ashtottaram (Sri Venkatesa first appeared to me in my dream way back, when I was 20!).

Then I offer food to all deities, including Lord Shiva.

Finally I finish with Namaskara.

*That being said, it has been stated by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, that one should keep their devotional practices, even their devotional feelings, in absolute secrecy because it is hard to acquire devotion but it is easy to lose it as there are 'pirates' / athiests / and others with hatred for devotion who can nullify this hard-to-acquire wisdom.

Jainarayan
11 January 2013, 06:46 PM
Namaste.

I light the lamps and incense and ring the bell; I say a prayer to Lord Ganesha; salutation to the light prayer; then to Sri Radha-Krishna; the Maha Mantra; the Gayatri mantra; offer the light while chanting Om asato ma sad gamaya... and ringing the bell; Tvameva mata cha pita tvameva; prayers for blessings, wisdom, forgiveness, etc. to Narayana; Mahalakshmi; Sri Narasimha; Sri Rama; Sri Hanuman; Maa Saraswati; Sri Shiva; Maa Durga and Maa Kali; Lord Kartikeya; the Mahamrityunjaya mantra; japa to Narayana. I include prayers to some of the buddhas and bodhisattvas, and Om mani padme hum japa to Avalokiteshvara for compassion.

Jodhaa
11 January 2013, 09:21 PM
I light the lamp, then the incense, and then I offer the incense to the deities as I say the Gayatri Mantra. I offer thanks for allowing me to spend time contemplating the divine, and then gratitude for other blessings in my life. And then I spend a good deal of time speaking to god on a very 'casual level'. I tell her about my day - when I was angry, when I was happy etc. I then pray for strength, courage, etc. before offering the lamp and singing the Aarti.

After that, I may spend 15-20 minutes meditating on nothing in particular - just being in the silence.:)

Jeff08
11 January 2013, 10:27 PM
Every morning after I done the routine. I pray to Lord Ganesh, Lord Saraswathi and Lord Brahma for a short mantra before I go to school or go somewhere. In the evening, before I do a puja I will done every routine and come in the puja room. Light the lamp and praying to Lord Ganesh, Lord Sraswathi and Lord Brahma. After that, I meditate for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes after I done puja, I tell something to them such as my problem or my successful thing in a day. And I also thank you them for giving any instruction of my life.

Some day especially full moon day, I do the Aarti too :)

Lakshmidevi
23 January 2013, 04:08 PM
I keep bringing back these old threads. Sorry :(. I don't get on much.

My daily routine is Sri Vishnu Gayatri in the morning.

In the evening it varies. I start with greeting the deities starting with Ganrsha by invoking their mantras. I have Ganesha, Shiva, Balaji, Krishna, Lakshmi, amd my Ishta deva, Sri Vishnu on my altar. I then like to sing bhajans. If I'm doing puja then all of the mantras associated with that. Otherwise I sing bhajans, offer prayers, and I like to close with Achyuta Ashtakam.

Aum Hari Aum!

ShivaFan
23 January 2013, 04:42 PM
Namaste

I say my devotions, and see towards devotions, and hear the acts of devotion, and smell and taste the devotions, and meditate with devotion, and even touch devotion to many Devas and Devi, and also to One, but...

I begin my devotions with Ganesha as Ganapati.

Om Namah Sivaya