PDA

View Full Version : Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

Gaurapriya
13 January 2013, 02:30 AM
Do y'all eat onions, garlic or mushrooms?

I confess that I used to be on a sattvic diet for years, trying to eschew fermented foods (soy sauce, vinegar), onions and garlic (and further, chives, shallots and leeks), and mushrooms. Nowadays, I've eased myself a little more, since it is just seemingly difficult to follow such a diet in the West, even though it is very easy to be a lacto-vegetarian.

Jogesh
13 January 2013, 05:16 PM
Good for you, there is enough to feel guilty about!

:D

charitra
13 January 2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, I do. :(

devotee
13 January 2013, 09:52 PM
Namaste GP,

I confess that I used to be on a sattvic diet for years, trying to eschew fermented foods (soy sauce, vinegar), onions and garlic (and further, chives, shallots and leeks), and mushrooms. Nowadays, I've eased myself a little more, since it is just seemingly difficult to follow such a diet in the West, even though it is very easy to be a lacto-vegetarian.

Sometimes we take things to extreme. Eating onions, garlic and Mushrooms etc. is not RAjsic or TAmsic unless the food that is prepared with these items is prepared in a way that the food promotes illness (RAjsic/TAmsic) or lethargy and deluded thinking (TAmsic). Please read Bhagwad Gita carefully. It divides foods in three different categories. It nowhere prohibits you from eating any of these things. You don't eat Onion or garlic as food but use them as condiments in your food preparation and if you take care of proper ratio in which they are to be used I don't see any reason why they cannot be eaten. In fact, onion and garlic are scientifically proven foods which ward off many diseases. I don't know how Mushroom fits into being called a RAjsic or TAmsic food when it has no characteristics which can be called RAjsic or TAmsic.

OM

Necromancer
14 January 2013, 12:20 AM

There was a time, many years ago, when I gave up these and salt, chili, spices. If you really want a true 'sattvic diet' then there are many vegetarian foods that must be eliminated from it (including seaweed, as it grows under water, Nightshades etc)...it's a very hard path.

Now, I am not vegetarian anymore. I was for 20 years and I don't really care about being one right now, but I have a lot of 'bad habits' I need to personally address before I start on diet (but I water fast on Mondays now and will extend that to include Saturday as well).

Aum Namah Shivaya.

philosoraptor
14 January 2013, 10:26 AM
Onions, garlic, and mushrooms are not sAttvik and orthodox Hindus avoid them. Yes, the gItA does not specifically name them, but it does mention three general categories of food, with the implication that only sAttvik foods offered to the Lord in yagna are acceptable. Traditionally Hindus do not consider these to be sAttvik, nor do they offer them.

We don't cook with these ingredients in my household.

Viraja
14 January 2013, 11:08 AM
Yes, staunch religious people avoid them completely - but I eat it all! :D But they are not supposed to be offered to god, as they are 'tamasic' - supposed to produce laziness, forgetfulness, carelessness and so forth. Even one is not supposed to eat food that is not offered to god - but I am not doing it either. In our fast life, we do not often get a chance to adhere strictly to guidelines. I was working until last January and though I am at home now, I am not used to the routine of praying/offering food and then consuming it. I pray at 3:00 PM each day, way past the lunch hour, when my food is almost digested already! :) I look upon it as 'as long as I pray regularly/help people/adhere to dharma, rest will be taken care of automatically'. But, I hope to get stricter with practice of such guidelines with progressive age.

Jainarayan
14 January 2013, 11:44 AM
Namaste.

I don't know how Mushroom fits into being called a RAjsic or TAmsic food when it has no characteristics which can be called RAjsic or TAmsic.

OM

I once read it's because they grew on rotting and decaying material. However, that's really not the case anymore, if that was ever the reason. Mushrooms are nowadays grown in sterile medium and under very controlled conditions. In fact, they actually contain vitamins and some other trace nutrients. Perhaps the avoidance of them in the past also had to do with people picking the wrong ones, leading to fatal poisoning. Some deadly wild mushrooms resemble perfectly edible wild mushrooms.

As to the o.p., I detest raw mushrooms, garlic or onions anyway. I'll only eat them cooked, which makes them sweeter (and hopefully my personality by extension :p ).

Necromancer
14 January 2013, 07:26 PM
Namaste. I was taught that the reason why mushrooms are not eaten, is not because they grow on manure and stuff, but because they grow in darkness.

People told me, if I want to grow in the Light, I don't eat foods that grow in the Darkness....something like that.

I eat anything now though. I did my time. lol

Aum Namah Shivaya

penguin10916
14 January 2013, 10:48 PM
Lol, I eat them along with fish and anything that lacks a backbone... though, I've considered whether or not I should mb cut the fish and inverts out of my diet and go total vegetarian :p Though, in fairness, garlic can be disgusting in large doses... and mushrooms have to be in the vicinity of tomato or Alfredo sauce for me to eat them :p

Gaurapriya
15 January 2013, 02:38 AM
I was also told that mushrooms are not eaten because they are in-between plants and animals. The fungi kingdom sometimes act plant-like, and other fungi act very animal-like.

It's difficult to follow a sattvic diet in the West. Things like tofu, vinegar, and soy sauce, the former being what I use most in my cooking, are used in much of vegetarian cooking out here.

Mary
21 February 2013, 04:22 PM
Due to being technologically challenged, I can't find a way to post a new thread, but I believe this one will work. I have recently set up an altar and want to offer food to Krsna. In searching my cupboards most of the food on hand has garlic and or onions in it, even though it's probably in small quantities. I live in the Midwest so don't know where to buy things like salsa, or frozen cheese piazzas, lasagna, etc. without these spices. I am getting very discouraged because I really want to advance on my path to being a good devotee. Any advice. We do not have a Krsna Conscious temple where I live. Are there any web sites where you can order these types of foods?

Thanks.

Believer
21 February 2013, 11:56 PM
Namaste,

I live in the Midwest so don't know where to buy things like salsa, or frozen cheese piazzas, lasagna, etc. without these spices. I am getting very discouraged because I really want to advance on my path to being a good devotee. Any advice. We do not have a Krsna Conscious temple where I live.
Whether a person lives in the East or West, eating saatvic is a choice which requires a strict regimen. Some of the requirements are that the food should be pure, light and fresh. Looking for frozen or pre-prepared food negates those concepts. I am not trying to pick on anyone about eating saatvic or not, but just presenting a fuller definition of what is saatvic. The Krishna Conscious (ISKCON) temples prepare everything that they offer to deities/eat/serve as prasadam, in their own kitchens.

I hope to get stricter with practice of such guidelines with progressive age.
'stricter - with progressive age' - Would that be in preparation for the judgement day? :)

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
22 February 2013, 01:48 AM
Due to being technologically challenged, I can't find a way to post a new thread, but I believe this one will work. I have recently set up an altar and want to offer food to Krsna. In searching my cupboards most of the food on hand has garlic and or onions in it, even though it's probably in small quantities. I live in the Midwest so don't know where to buy things like salsa, or frozen cheese piazzas, lasagna, etc. without these spices. I am getting very discouraged because I really want to advance on my path to being a good devotee. Any advice. We do not have a Krsna Conscious temple where I live. Are there any web sites where you can order these types of foods?

Thanks.

Vannakkam: It doesn't have to be 'Hindu' or eastern. Western vegetarian food is perfectly fine, without the spices. So lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, etc. Red lentils can be bought in most western style stores, and its the same lentil Indians use for a variety of dhal.

Lentils, chick peas, rice, and the like also store very well, so if you can get to a larger city even once in 6 months, you should be able to stock up.

Aum Namasivaya

Viraja
22 February 2013, 08:45 AM
'stricter - with progressive age' - Would that be in preparation for the judgement day? :)

Pranam.

You could say that :) . It is mainly because as EMji noted elsewhere, our subconscious mind has to undergo change, if at all I could make a change to it with my food habits, then I would go for it! :)

Viraja
22 February 2013, 08:53 AM
In olden days, about 75 years ago, they even avoided what is regarded as 'English vegetables' - vegetables the British brought to India such as Cabbage, Cauliflower and String beans. I do not know whether this boycott was done because they were also considered 'tamasic food' or because of a want to disregard what the English had brought.

Gaurapriya
22 February 2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks.

As a person who practices Krishna consciousness, though not in ISKCON, (I live in the country above you, lol), Believer is right. Generally Vaishnavas, or devotees of Krishna try to make food from scratch, me included. If you have items with onions or garlic, just prepare them and offer them up. You can still cook without the physical onions and garlic, but offer the pre-prepared items that you have on hand.

Good luck, honey!

Hare Krishna~!

Viraja
22 February 2013, 12:14 PM
If one cannot find sattwic foods for the deity, one can offer fruits (any), raisins, cooked rice and curd, all those canned beans such as kidney beans and so forth (just crack a little mustard seeds in oil, add the canned boiled beans, and add turmeric, salt and chilly powder - that's all - we call this 'sundal') can be offered as cooked food.

philosoraptor
22 February 2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks.

Prepared foods should not be offered. You will want to purchase fresh ingredients and cook from scratch, always after having bathed. Consider keeping some pictures of Sri Krishna in the kitchen and/or playing devotional music while cooking for Him, to enhance remembrance of Him. Offering onions, garlic or mushroom is an absolute no-no. I also suggest keeping your cooking utensils and eating utensils separate.

regards,

Believer
22 February 2013, 05:50 PM
Namaste,

Most of the common householders pick and choose from the traditional/scripturally sanctioned rules for devotional service. Others arbitrarily rationalize and update these rules to be in line with the modern times. Still others go to the extent of reinterpreting the scriptures with statements like, 'I believe Bhagwad Gita says........', to justify how they do things per their life style, without feeling guilty. So we humans, many a times, deviate from the ideal and find excuses to do so, so that we don't carry a guilty feeling. Under such conditions, a sincere devotee may list/suggest the right conduct for proper devotional service and leave at that. If one makes an offering three times a day, does that mean the person should bathe three times a day and then only do the cooking? We are all on different trajectories for spiritual advancement. Our passion/desire/effort in that direction is different for each one of us. So, just disseminating the information about the right and wrong should be the end of the discourse. What an individual does with it up to his/her level of understanding, desire for advancement and above all the feeling of need for it.

Pranam.

ShivaFan
22 February 2013, 07:12 PM
Namaste All

I have been repeatedly taught about the bad qualities of onions, garlic and mushrooms - and as others point out the tamasic nature of them.

So in general, I agree - I cannot argue with these authorities who tell me so. I have had Indians tell me very interesting insights, and have read and been told things such as "Onions and garlic are the nails of asuras".

But then again, in regards to onions - I have seen ayurvedic teachers who actually know what they are talking about, recommending onions as a medicine (I know, this is different than "daily eating habits", but ...). Where the use of onions, based on your total analysis, is recommended not just as a "tablet" but to eat everyday!

Perhaps that is just for some people, but it strikes me as strange that onion is a recommended daily intake for some humans, but is also a "nail of the asuras".

This post reminded me again of my book collection, I have one book from a yogi called "Miracle Onion". Sorry, I don't have it in front of me, published in India but I cannot recall the author, but I did read it, and it was pretty convincing, from the diet, ayurved, and even some religious examples were given linking the good state of body with the good state of mind for meditation.

I am not saying I am convinced by the argument that onions are a "miracle" - but there are miracles in all sorts of things. For example, cobra venom is a poison. But I take a tiny little blue bit of such venom every single day for my health. It is a poison, but it is a miracle also.

So sometimes, things are not necessarily "carte blanche", yes?

Om Namah Sivaya

philosoraptor
22 February 2013, 08:02 PM
Principles of cooking in Hinduism are for spiritual health.

Ayurvedic healers focus on material health.

These are two different things.

Eastern Mind
22 February 2013, 08:24 PM
Vannakkam: Unlike experimentation with meat, in which I definitely felt better not eating, I didn`t feel any difference when going off onions. Then again, there is quite the difference between meat and onions, and that in itself might make the difference foe onions very subtle.

I feel all of these ideas need to be proved, in some way at least, by personal trial, as we all have different metabolic rates, etc.

Still I do try to eat more above ground veggies than below ground veggies.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
23 February 2013, 12:17 AM
Still I do try to eat more above ground veggies than below ground veggies.

Not all ground veggies are tamasik, ginger is very sattvik. Fruits and roots are generally sattvik.

The shastras actually classify many foods as not sattvik including lentils, pumpkin and aubergine. The yoga guru Krishnamacharya even said that chick peas are tamasik. Then there are rules of forbidden foods for each tithi and each mAsa. In this case, I have no problem following the Ayurvedic recommendation for physical health, instead of eating purely sattvik. The Allium family of vegetables have countless proven health benefits. The anti cancer effects of allium family vegetables and mushrooms are huge.

Eastern Mind
23 February 2013, 07:08 AM
Not all ground veggies are tamasik, ginger is very sattvik. Fruits and roots are generally sattvik.

The shastras actually classify many foods as not sattvik including lentils, pumpkin and aubergine. The yoga guru Krishnamacharya even said that chick peas are tamasik. Then there are rules of forbidden foods for each tithi and each mAsa. In this case, I have no problem following the Ayurvedic recommendation for physical health, instead of eating purely sattvik. The Allium family of vegetables have countless proven health benefits. The anti cancer effects of allium family vegetables and mushrooms are huge.

Vannakkam: I don't suppose you know of a site(s) that lists various vegetables, and their nutritional benefit, both western, and ayurveda? Hopefully a site with pictures. Many of the fruits and vegetables vary widely from place to place. For example, here in Mauritius I have friends who give me fruits, even seed packets, or leaves, and about all I get is the vague, "It's good for you!" I mean that's cool, but in what way might be helpful.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
23 February 2013, 08:16 AM
There is a lot of scientific information on the health benefits of plant foods on the website of this vegan MD. I am not really a proponent of veganism, but this doctor knows a lot about plant foods. http://nutritionfacts.org/

I don't trust websites that claim to represent Ayurveda. The word ayurveda is often used outside of the context of traditional Indian Ayurvedic practice as a marketing buzz word.

ShivaFan
23 February 2013, 03:09 PM

Namaste EM, thanks for the insights!

Namaste Sahasranama - Oh no, I eat a lot of lentils, and actually I love pumpkin and just ate that (curry pumpkin) yesterday. My wife gives me lentils almost as much as rice. Now I am worried ... but I do eat a LOT of fruits! I am a "fruit fanatic" (addicted to fruits, of all sorts). I am addicted to fruit juices (of course better to avoid canned one, they have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them, and my wife goes "nuts" if I drink or eat things with that it in, she hates it and says it is death). But probably I get too much sugar from the fruit juices. Actually, I do not eat healthy, I eat what I like a spoiled kid. I am crazy like I said for fruits, I love nuts of all sorts, I love "black dal" (punjabi style), but I love samosas which are probably really bad for me (the "ladies" cook me samosas). I do avoid butter - but ghee, is there any information on eating ghee? I love ghee - probably not good for me, though the "ladies" limit it.

One thing I LOVE is peanuts. To tell the truth, I am always buying those big bags of unsalted peanuts from the grocery. My wife tells me it is bad for us.

Thanks for the information everyone!

Om Namah Sivaya

Viraja
23 February 2013, 03:50 PM
I do avoid butter - but ghee, is there any information on eating ghee? I love ghee - probably not good for me, though the "ladies" limit it.

There is a saying in Tamil "Nei illa undi paazh" - this is to mean (spiritually) that while eating food, one must take Ghee with the rice and same goes to serving food to others - Ghee must be served. This has got something to do with offering of the Ghee to 'Agni deva' first. The stomach has got the digestive fire and this ghee is necessary to be offered to them first.

philosoraptor
23 February 2013, 05:01 PM
There is a saying in Tamil "Nei illa undi paazh" - this is to mean (spiritually) that while eating food, one must take Ghee with the rice and same goes to serving food to others - Ghee must be served. This has got something to do with offering of the Ghee to 'Agni deva' first. The stomach has got the digestive fire and this ghee is necessary to be offered to them first.

Interesting thing about ghee. In the mahAnArAyaNa upaniShad there are a couple of mantras that glorify the Lord as the ghee offered in yagna.

ShivaFan
23 February 2013, 05:36 PM
Namaste Viraja and Philosoraptor

Very interesting information on ghee, thanks for sharing.

Some "scholars" try to claim mushrooms include Soma as part of the shroom family. I don't think so, but if it were....

Om Namah Sivaya

Eastern Mind
23 February 2013, 07:17 PM
Vannakkam: I think it is more difficult to eat poorly than to eat healthily once you develop a taste for good clean food that is meat free, not processed, not too oily, and sugar free. Some 30 years back we (my wife and I) did a scientific study of nutrients we were getting, based on a detailed recording for one month. We were way above daily intake standards in all areas except maybe iron and B12. So after that I stopped worrying about it.

Sugar is like the allergy test where you go off it for a couple of months, then do a bit of a binge. If you do that with soda, you'll find that after the sugar fast, you can barely drink a can of coke without feeling quite ill.

Many people have forgotten to listen to their body, just like we've forgotten how to breathe.

Aum Namasivaya

Gaurapriya
23 February 2013, 09:32 PM

Chickpeas are tamasic? :eek: I've never heard of that before. The ISKCON temple here serves a little bit of raw chickpeas on the side for breakfast after the temple morning program. I've never heard of lentils and chickpeas being rajasic or tamasic before; I've just happily made sabjis and dal out of these without even thinking.

And the pakoras and chickpea-based parathas I've made were all in vain! :(

I've never seen any Vaishnavite in real life adhering strictly to all sattvic standards... but then again, I live in a non-Dharmic country!

Sahasranama
23 February 2013, 09:47 PM
Chickpeas are tamasic? :eek: I've never heard of that before. The ISKCON temple here serves a little bit of raw chickpeas on the side for breakfast after the temple morning program. I've never heard of lentils and chickpeas being rajasic or tamasic before; I've just happily made sabjis and dal out of these without even thinking.

And the pakoras and chickpea-based parathas I've made were all in vain! :(

I've never seen any Vaishnavite in real life adhering strictly to all sattvic standards... but then again, I live in a non-Dharmic country!Chickpeas being tamasic is according yoga guru Sri Krishnamacharya, I did not come across this information in any shashtra. And I think pumpkin wasn't tamasic, but only forbidden on certain months like karthik, I am not sure anymore. The most sattvik bean is mung beans. Lauki can also not be eaten on every tithi. There are a lot of rules like this, but I don't follow them. The only thing I follow is fasting completely from food on ekadashi and eating a simple sattvik meal on dashami and dvadashi.

Sahasranama
23 February 2013, 10:02 PM
Vannakkam: I think it is more difficult to eat poorly than to eat healthily once you develop a taste for good clean food that is meat free, not processed, not too oily, and sugar free. Some 30 years back we (my wife and I) did a scientific study of nutrients we were getting, based on a detailed recording for one month. We were way above daily intake standards in all areas except maybe iron and B12. So after that I stopped worrying about it.As vegetarians taking a b12 supplement is very important. Getting enough vitamin b12 from vegetarian animal derived products like dairy is difficult. I am not a fan of iron supplements, because too much iron can have negative side effects. Black strap molasses, beans, soy and green leafy vegetables are rich sources of iron. Cooking in iron pans also increases your iron levels. Tea, coffee and cacao inhibit the absorption of iron, it's best not to drink them with meals. The good thing about plant iron (non heme) is that your body can regulate the absorption according to its needs. The absorption of iron from animal flesh and supplements (heme iron) is not regulated like this, so people say it's better absorbed. That is true, but that can also cause overly high levels of iron in the blood.

Here's a list of the iron content of plant foods:
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

Higher bioaccessibility of iron and zinc from food grains in the presence of garlic and onion:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20597543

The role of vitamin C in iron absorption:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2507689

Gaurapriya
24 February 2013, 03:08 AM
Chickpeas being tamasic is according yoga guru Sri Krishnamacharya, I did not come across this information in any shashtra. And I think pumpkin wasn't tamasic, but only forbidden on certain months like karthik, I am not sure anymore. The most sattvik bean is mung beans. Lauki can also not be eaten on every tithi. There are a lot of rules like this, but I don't follow them. The only thing I follow is fasting completely from food on ekadashi and eating a simple sattvik meal on dashami and dvadashi.

I don't eat sattvic all the time, but I used to when I was living with a Vaishnava family for some time. But it certainly helps to have a simpler regime! It is just easier to do with our busy modernity as our present age!

I know that chickpeas and other high-protein substances are not proper for people in brahmacharyam, and definitely not after dusk.

One delicious way I add B12 into my diet is through nutritional yeast, and it is a wonderful additive to things like pasta and stovetop popcorn! :) It has a nice cheesy-nutty taste, and rich in vitamin B12.

Mary
25 February 2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks so much to all who were kind enough to help me out with this dilemma.
After studying all your responses, I believe I will take Believer's advice. I wasn't able to get a hold of my Guru immediately, but after speaking with him, his thoughts were in line with that of Believers. Hopefully, as I advance and my obligations aren't as great, I'll be able to adhere more closely to the tenets of the Bhagavad Gita.

Hari bol,
Mary

mradam83
26 February 2013, 10:47 AM
Namaste all,

One thing that has crossed my mind reading this thread.

People have different bodies and some will not be able to tolerate what others can. I know people who are lactose intolerant and cannot process dairy and others that can not handle soy at all. Others, like me, can be fortunate to handle these things but in the 3 weeks or so I've been vegetarian, I've noticed I am a lot less hungry and have higher energy levels without eating meat and eating much more healthily. Others I know have really suffered not eating meat and can not handle being vegetarian.

I suppose that to some, sattvic tamasic and rajasic (I may not have these terms right) may not biologically mean the same to all.

Pranams.