PDA

View Full Version : Empty Stomach or Not?

Webimpulse
17 January 2013, 06:08 PM
Namaste all,

Hopefully this question is easy to answer. Does one have to meditate on only an empty stomach? I keep hearing differing accounts of this. If I were to follow the advice of the teachings of the guru I follow - in this case Sri Sri Ravi Shankar of the Art of Living (yes, I'm part of the Art of Living...sorry for not mentioning this before :o ) - it would be yes, I could only meditate on an empty stomach. But I've heard from other sources, such as the president of the local temple I go to, that it's not necessary to have a completely empty stomach, and that in fact hunger can detract from one's meditation.

Of course I know not to pig out before meditation, that much I understand. Also, observing fasts for me is not really an option, considering my diabetes (as a matter of fact, not eating for a long period can raise my blood sugar for some weird reason).

So...what's a meditation practitioner like me to do?

devotee
17 January 2013, 07:00 PM
Namaste Webimpulse,

I don't think any system of meditation prescribes completely empty stomach for doing meditation. Yes, meditating after a heavy meal becomes difficult due to difficulty faced in PrANAyAm. The breath control is easy and your thoughts are under control when your belly is not full. However, if you resorting to different Kriyas like Sudarshan Kriya taught in Art of Living ... you may have to follow what they teach.

OM

Webimpulse
17 January 2013, 07:03 PM
Namaste Devotee,

Those are good guidelines to follow. Thanks for your input! :)

yajvan
17 January 2013, 10:14 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Hopefully this question is easy to answer. Does one have to meditate on only an empty stomach? I keep hearing differing accounts of this.

We follow the instructions offered by the teacher.... we do not have a stomach filled with doubt.

iti śivaṁ

Necromancer
18 January 2013, 05:10 AM
Namaste all,

Hopefully this question is easy to answer. Does one have to meditate on only an empty stomach? I keep hearing differing accounts of this. If I were to follow the advice of the teachings of the guru I follow - in this case Sri Sri Ravi Shankar of the Art of Living (yes, I'm part of the Art of Living...sorry for not mentioning this before :o ) - it would be yes, I could only meditate on an empty stomach. But I've heard from other sources, such as the president of the local temple I go to, that it's not necessary to have a completely empty stomach, and that in fact hunger can detract from one's meditation.

Of course I know not to pig out before meditation, that much I understand. Also, observing fasts for me is not really an option, considering my diabetes (as a matter of fact, not eating for a long period can raise my blood sugar for some weird reason).

So...what's a meditation practitioner like me to do?
Namaste. Hunger can and will detract you from meditation and no doubt the hungry tiger growling there may also detract others (usually into fits of humour mid-meditation - tell me about it).

Anyway, it's best (and especially if you have diabetes) to take light tiffin (I like that word...'tiffin') about 20-30 minutes before meditation. Don't overload your stomach and make it sluggish and don't leave your stomach 'more hungry' as eating only a tiny bit usually does (it's better to eat nothing at all then).

Eat something light, like a piece of fruit (apple, pear or banana), a handfull of trail mix (this is a godsend) and a cup of cooked oats/wild rice with maybe honey or something (whatever your diabetic condition allows) and a cup of organic soy milk.

Just stuff like that and only half-fill your tummy. That's only what I think/feel...but yes, speak to your teacher and, more importantly, your doctor about this and good luck with it.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Amrut
18 January 2013, 05:59 AM
Namaste,

As said by other posters, we have to follow guru. The the general guidelines are that it takes 2 1/2 hours to digest food (lunch and dinner). So one must meditate or do any kind of breath altering or breath controlling exercise (like 3-6-3-6 or equal inhalation equal exhalation, etc) after 2 1/2 hours. If you are simply being aware of breath, then it's ok to meditate after an hour. It is said that foods slips from, stomach after 45 minutes.

If you are taking fruits or milk (not a mixture of both at a time), then you can meditate after 1/2 hour (30 minutes). Gujarati food 'khichadi' also digests within 30 minutes. For hatha yoga practice, some say that you should practice asanas or even exercise after 4 hours of having food. After 4 hours, stomach is empty. You do not need to fast for whole day. After you advance in japa, upvasa becomes ananda, as you skip your dinner unintentionally because you are immersed in God.

The reason is that due to alteration in natural breathing, the natural flow of digestion process is obstructed. In case of meditation, if one goes deep within, prana vayus slow down. Digestion process takes it's own definite time. e.g. after some minutes of eating, automatically digestive juices are secreted. After 45 minutes food leaves stomach, no matter the food is turned from acidic to alkaline or not. Prana vayu slows down this digestion process and so food may pass on to next phase without it being fully digested or transformed. So there is a chance of food poisoning. Imagine that one person has a habit of gulping down food without chewing. One should let the saliva mix as carbohydrates with break down within mouth by saliva itself. But if you gulp food down, then undigested food will enter stomach. It will result in more strain in stomach, and the chain goes on.

If you have diabetes, then you should have a diet as prescribed by your doctor. I also request you to please contact some regular sincere and senior AOl practitioners.

Aum