PDA

View Full Version : transcending desire

ShawnForbes
05 February 2013, 01:35 PM
What is everyone's thoughts regarding relinquishment of desire in order to achieve ones desire for ascension. It would seem at first the method necessary for success would negate the inspiration. I'm curious to see how others have overcome this dilemma.
Personally I have adjusted my perspective regarding desire and believe my ambition to ascend to a higher form of existence is actually a reflection of the natural instinct of Jiva and therefore is disqualified as a personal desire.

yajvan
06 February 2013, 12:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

What is everyone's thoughts regarding relinquishment of desire in order to achieve ones desire for ascension. It would seem at first the method necessary for success would negate the inspiration. I'm curious to see how others have overcome this dilemma.
Personally I have adjusted my perspective regarding desire and believe my ambition to ascend to a higher form of existence is actually a reflection of the natural instinct of Jiva and therefore is disqualified as a personal desire.
Hello Shawn,
This discussion has come up multiple times. Consider doing a search here on HDF with the word 'desire' and you will get multiple hits and various insights. This then can propel the conversation further and stimulate additional ideas for your consideration.

Also , welcome to the HDF forum. It is our custom to greet the reader with some salutation i.e. hello, namasté , konnichiwa (kon-ee-chee-wa), hola, ni hao, etc. This sets the stage for a ~friendly~ discussion.

We look forward to your posts and your ideas.

iti śivaṁ

OmAspie
22 February 2013, 06:25 PM

In my class's study of the Bhaghavad Gita we have discussed this in terms of Krishna's guidance towards Arjuna and how within his role as a Kshatriya, he can follow Krishna's and thus God's guidance by doing his duties and living his life in a noble way and this will lead to a pleasant next life. From what I understood the key is to focus on living one's life as Krishna (if you are Arjuna) would want you to and replace desire with motivation to follow God in whatever way possible and this will lead to either reunion with Krishna (Brahman) after death.