PDA

View Full Version : Tamil Vijay TV: Spiritual programs cancelled

Viraja
07 February 2013, 10:02 AM
There were several spiritual programs being telecast everyday by Vijay TV - one on Vidura's words of advice to King Dhritharashtra, one on ancient sages of India, one on Vijay TV's frequent 'Bhakti Festival' and finally one on Mahabharata. Starting 2 weeks ago, suddenly the programs went amiss. I just recently heard that there are now available for free viewing at www.youtube.com/user/STARVIJAY. But the real reason why they cut down the channels seems to be because Muslim countries are opposing to it. I posted a question on the whereabouts of these programs in a cybergroup and this is the response I got:

Q. I live in USA and I used to watch 'Bharathathil Dharmam', 'Thapovanam' everyday through Vijay TV's Video-on-demand programs. These days I am not seeing the programs at all, to be precise, starting around 01/23, I am not seeing these 2 programs at Vijay TV's VOD programs. Do you know if these programs are being telecast everyday?

A. SrI:

My husband spoke to Viajy Tv chennai, seems like Vijay Tv is sacrificing the interests of Hindus (NRIs) to satisfy the muslim countries (the words used by the channel sales person) which object to its carrying of Hindu religilious content. Moreover they do not care about the viewers' sentiments. If any one of you could take this matter to the limelight may be we shall get justice after all this is a pay channel.

Now, my new question is:

Can any of you suggest what I can do about this matter? Afterall this is a paid channel and it is not fair Vijay TV is cutting down these programs. Please advice.

Viraja
07 February 2013, 10:15 AM
The programs of this season may be continued till the end, but after these programs end, I doubt if Vijay TV will have interest to telecast any new spiritual programs, to be placed in Youtube for free viewing!!

philosoraptor
07 February 2013, 01:35 PM
Well, stop paying for it, and ask all your Hindu friends to do the same.

Believer
07 February 2013, 02:14 PM
Namaste,

Well, stop paying for it, and ask all your Hindu friends to do the same.
+1

In addition, I would plead with my friends, people at my mandir, people who I can reach through Tamil Hindu websites, and anyone else I could contact some other way, to join me in calling the TV station reps to let them know why we have cancelled/are going to cancel our subscription. If there is a substantial revenue loss and enough complaints, they might reconsider their decision. It all depends on how pro-active are the people directly affected by this decision on the part of the station owners. If a few muslim countries can make them do something, tens of thousands of Tamils should be able to make them reverse that decision by dropping the subscription and calling them to give the reason for their action. Best wishes with your effort to organize a boycott.

Pranam.

Viraja
07 February 2013, 03:02 PM
Thank you, Believer and Philosoraptor, for the suggestions.

I was thinking of opening a 'Petition online' once I knew I had some supporters (from the other website). I don't know how appropriate it is for this cause, but if there are enough supporters to join, it might be worthy to do.

Best wishes with your effort to organize a boycott.

Well, thank you very much! :)

Anirudh
11 February 2013, 10:28 PM
Namaste Aspirant,
Chandra Gupta Maurya was a serial telecasted in NDTV imagine. It was reigniting patriotism amongst youth. It was very successful in connecting India.
Suddenly in April 2012 it went of the air. The channel was closed subsequently. That led to rallies all over India and Facebook movement.
Seeing the popularity Sony TV decided to startover, but NDTV imagine decided not to give the 'takeover rights'.
I am sure pseudo secularism is behind this dastardly act. Google for save Chandra Gupta Fan Club, you will know the details.

With so many rallies, road shows, Facebook comments still CGM hasn't seen the light. Now you should know what we are dealing with.

Viraja
12 February 2013, 08:02 AM
I am sure pseudo secularism is behind this dastardly act.

With so many rallies, road shows, Facebook comments still CGM hasn't seen the light. Now you should know what we are dealing with.

Vijay TV does have programs that caters to Christians too, although they are once a week. Haven't seen one for Muslims. It is very bad that the current situation is such that even paid TV channels cannot or do not wish to broadcast Hindu religious programs. I hardly watch the soap operas or dance or drama of any kind, the spiritual programs have been the only ones I ever watched, there must be many elderly people belonging to my category, we all gave such overwhelming support to the Hindu spiritualists who were presenting these programs, now everything gone....! I feel so disappointed. Although one of the spiritualists, Sri Velukkudi Krishnan is well-known even from before his TV times, it is no doubt he became very popular and prominent after his TV shows, which he had put to proper use - last year, he came forth with the idea of giving 40hrs worth of his lecture along with a 'Lakshmi Kataksham' calendar to public from all over the world for only $15! So many people benefitted from it.

Vijay TV was doing a wonderful job. Especially being a TV channel, they must be the 1st ones to organize a festival to glorify Bhakti once every 3 months and to conduct it in some holy city each time, next to a temple and to organize for prasada from the temple to be distributed to the attendees!

The programs were a marvel - you should have watched an episode of 'bharatham mahabharatam' - professor Ilampirai Manimaaran must have been narrating the story from an unabridged version, she detailed every little happening in the ithihasa, it was wonderful to hear her narration. :(

And I know what you mean, I am also given to thinking that protests aren't going to make any change to this situation. I only pray to Sriman Narayana to give the incentive to Vijay TV to start these programs again.