PDA

View Full Version : Bibek Debroy's Mahabharatha

wundermonk
09 February 2013, 12:19 PM
Greetings folks:

Any inputs on Bibek Debroy's unabridged English translation of the Mahabharatha? I am thinking of buying the whole set over time and want to know if others have tried it and if they have any views...

http://www.flipkart.com/mahabharata-volume-1/p/itmczyrpzgesjkgx

Caltha
09 February 2013, 06:24 PM
Namaste,

I have no expertise, but here is the blog of somebody who enthusiastically likes this translation:

http://blog.abhinavagarwal.net/p/mahabharata.html

Pranams,

Caltha

wundermonk
10 February 2013, 04:37 AM
Thanks Caltha...I am inclined to buy the set sometime.

ShivaFan
10 February 2013, 03:14 PM
Namaste

Does anyone know how many volumes TOTAL this particular Bibek Debroy series has? When I went to eBay to purchase, I noticed editions being sold which had the same print pattern on the book cover but different colors (but the details of the book for sale would not say "Volume 1", or "Volume 3" for example, as if implying it is the complete MB).

On Catha's review link, it looks like there are 6 VOLUMES total in this series, as I said each with a different color format on the cover but same print pattern.

So is it six volumes total? Also it looks like it would be a little difficult to get all 6 volumes (or more, if that is not the total), for example on eBay I only seem three different color bindings (what makes me mad is the sellers do not make clear which volume they are selling, very frustrating!) - the paperback volume(s) are selling for about $30 US dollars here in USA, so if there are six volumes that would be $180 dollars (not including shipping) for a complete 6 volume set. They sell for about 400 to 500 rupees each in India (that would be about $10 US dollars so the markup in US is 3x's).

Sorry, no review as requested, but I think I would be interested in reading it but need the logistics in how many volumes and how much this would cost. But no rush, I am currently reading The Ramayana retold by Krishna Dharma (which a member in HDF recommended a long time back, and which I purchased but only now just started to read it).

Om Namah Sivaya

Caltha
10 February 2013, 03:47 PM
Namaste,

They are planning to issue it in 10 volumes. I don't know if Bibek Debroy has finished his translation yet. I hope he has. (Not to be gloomy, but some other translators have died before they were able to translate the entire Mahabharatha.)

I'm sure that I would need not only a translation but a good commentary.

I'd love to read this, too.

Pranams,

Caltha