PDA

View Full Version : Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

jignyAsu
11 February 2013, 03:10 PM
Namaste all!

Here in the west, we should be 100% absolutely sure of what one eats...no random snacks are possible. Even when I quit eating outside, they followed me home. :mad:

I wanted to compile a list of vegetarian foods that has non vegetarian contents. I do see some senior members having contributed here and there but couldn't pull up a thread for this (or is there one?). Help me become 100% vegetarian:) ! Non vegetarians are also requested to post here..this is not a discussion on morality or karma but knowing what you eat.

Please note that this a list of items which are not obvious non vegetarian.

CHEESE

Every Hindu/Vegetarian/Vegan should know by now that most cheese out there has rennett, that is extracted from the intestine of a calf. Surprising most still do not!

Today I bought my first "vegetarian" cheese in whole foods. I could only manage to get shredded veg cheese. Organic cheese are not necessarily vegetarian...though this means cows were not injected with hormones. Any other stores I should try in US?

Is sour cream veggie?

Gelatin,Lard

These are obvious. Any product having them are a No-No. Including mexican restaurant refried/pinto beans, some tortillas etc.

OMEGA-3

The most popular source of this one is fish. So whatever you buy, be it a juice or oil, with a "omega-3 label" has this. Alternatives of OMEGA-3 is a capsule extraced from algae, flax seeds, walnuts.

White Sugar!!!

I need some serious help in this. Apparently sugar is so white because it is refined with bone char. The possible alternate is unrefined sugar or beet sugar.

Other than this there are products that use animal hair, bird feathers...atleast I have classified them in the lower priority list to be rid of.

"Ignorance is bliss" is definitely not supported in the Vedas!

jignyAsu
11 February 2013, 03:43 PM
Don't forget chocolates now! They can have rennet too...

http://metro.co.uk/2008/01/14/want-meat-in-your-choc-bar-twix-fits-501214/

Goodbye Twix, Milky way, M&M(:( ???) and snickers. Some say they have switched back while others say not.

McKitty
11 February 2013, 04:16 PM
Vanakkam,

I assume you live in the US, is it possible for you to get raw milk/french cheese ?

I know here there is no problem considering many many cheese are still made with raw milk only, but I don't know how it is abroad

Good luck !

Aum Namah Shivaya

jignyAsu
11 February 2013, 05:06 PM
Vanakkam,

I assume you live in the US, is it possible for you to get raw milk/french cheese ?

I know here there is no problem considering many many cheese are still made with raw milk only, but I don't know how it is abroad

Good luck !

Aum Namah Shivaya

Hello Mckitty!

Thanks for your efforts to help! Yes, I do live in US.

I am still learning and this is what wholefoods (grocery store) have in their website

Q: True or False: It's illegal to sell raw milk cheeses in the US.
A: Man, we hope not! Thankfully, the answer is false. By law, all raw milk cheeses—essentially cheeses made with unpasteurized milk—must be aged for 60 days in order to be sold in the US. Our mouth-watering selection always meets this standard.

I am curious why you mention it though... don't raw milk cheese have animal rennet in them?

Webimpulse
11 February 2013, 05:13 PM
Namaste jignyAsu,

There are different "Whole Foods" type grocery stores depending on where you live in America that could sell the type of products you're looking for. For example, in upstate NY, where I live, the big grocery chain that's dominated this area, Wegmans, has a section in most stores dedicated to "Whole Foods" style merchandise.

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live, jignyAsu? No need for specifics, just a general region would suffice.

(As an aside, there's one Wegmans around where I live that's referred to as the "Church of Wegmans" - because the building it occupies now was once a church! :D )

jignyAsu
11 February 2013, 06:28 PM
Namaste jignyAsu,

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live, jignyAsu? No need for specifics, just a general region would suffice.

I live in Pennsylvania, US. Do you get your vegetarian cheese from Wegmans?

Webimpulse
12 February 2013, 12:20 PM
To be honest, jignyAsu, I haven't checked...I had no idea about the cheese thing until this thread. And also, while I'm eating more vegetarian meals per week these days, I'm not a complete vegetarian (yet...I'm working on it, okay? :p ). But I do go to Wegmans for many of my vegetarian groceries - one thing that helps me cut down on meat products is the meat-free alternatives they sell (e.g. Boca burgers, meatless chicken, etc.). I usually pick those up in their whole foods section.

Hey, I gotta start somewhere. :D

jignyAsu
12 February 2013, 01:03 PM
To be honest, jignyAsu, I haven't checked...I had no idea about the cheese thing until this thread. And also, while I'm eating more vegetarian meals per week these days, I'm not a complete vegetarian (yet...I'm working on it, okay? :p ). But I do go to Wegmans for many of my vegetarian groceries - one thing that helps me cut down on meat products is the meat-free alternatives they sell (e.g. Boca burgers, meatless chicken, etc.). I usually pick those up in their whole foods section.

Hey, I gotta start somewhere. :D

What? Are you serious?.... just joking. I appreciate your honesty..basic requirement in spirituality.

Working on becoming a vegetarian is a sadhana 1/2 fulfilled! Even avoiding beef is a big step :). I remember days when I couldn't even dream of eating anything without onion and garlic.

Hey, I think this research is very important to you too. See after all the efforts you take towards being a vegetarian, how will you feel if some poor calf has been unnecessarily sacrificed for your cheese? Alternatives may not be that hard to find.

So veg or non-veg we should know what we eat, is the point of this thread. Meanwhile I will find more bad news for you after research :D

Thanks for your contribution.

jignyAsu
12 February 2013, 01:54 PM
Tip of the day: Go through the ingredient list for absolutely anything you buy.

For e.g.

"Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers Frozen Vegetables" has gelatin.

It may be just peas..mlEcchAs will find a way for involving a cow in here. :(

philosoraptor
12 February 2013, 07:58 PM
White Sugar!!!

I need some serious help in this. Apparently sugar is so white because it is refined with bone char. The possible alternate is unrefined sugar or beet sugar.

Other than this there are products that use animal hair, bird feathers...atleast I have classified them in the lower priority list to be rid of.

"Ignorance is bliss" is definitely not supported in the Vedas!

Pranams. Great posting! I have also heard this about white sugar, and so my family does not use it. We usually purchase turbinado sugar. Cheese is a real problem - I often call the manufacturer to verify the source of rennet but I do not always trust them. Some cheese fortunately are labeled "no animal rennet" - I don't mind paying extra for these.

jignyAsu
13 February 2013, 07:53 AM
Pranams. Great posting! I have also heard this about white sugar, and so my family does not use it. We usually purchase turbinado sugar. Cheese is a real problem - I often call the manufacturer to verify the source of rennet but I do not always trust them. Some cheese fortunately are labeled "no animal rennet" - I don't mind paying extra for these.

Please accept my pranams for upholding Vedic values to utmost even in this land.

This is very helpful for me. I will search for raw sugar/turbinado sugar today itself. Please also post any other items you know to avoid, like some cereals/pills etc...you seem to have lots of experience in this.

This request is also directed to other members to add as much as they know, even random musings, hearsay that I can research.

Trying to become as Sattvic as possible :)

smaranam
13 February 2013, 08:46 AM
Hare KRshNa

Krishna.com (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/www.krishna.com)has covered this in amazing detail years ago, on this page:
http://www.krishna.com/hidden-animal-ingredients

It may be hard to find this page from the home page, so please use the direct link above.

* You do get cheese with plant rennet. If you are in the Americas, some Indian stores also sell the plant rennet cheese slices.

* Turbinado sugar (best option), brown sugar, organic sugar, jaggery (guD - rock sugar - Indian stores) are some alternatives to bone-processed sugar.
Jaggery works well with coconut, in halvas, and Indian recipes, but you can experiment : in muffins, pumpkin pies, why not?

* Avoid silver foil-covered MiThAi (Indian milk-sweet) if you don't know who made it. In India, well known franchises like Chitale Bandhu Mithaiwale are free of animal-leather-beaten silver foils. Most modern confectioners in India have stopped the practice, except in Andhra Pradesh and a few other places/manufacturers. They used to beat the silver foil very thin by placing it in leather sheets. Not anymore hopefully - machine made silver foils.

Best - don't buy miTHAi, make it yourself!

* Look out for vitamin D3 - comes from animals

* In Europe, check the E numbers of ingredients against the list on the Krishna.com page above.

* gelatin is an old culprit.

* Always read ingredients, labels. You never know what can be tossed into what - unimaginable.
breads, tortillas, ice creams are not spared of animal ingredients. Nor are nuts.

* Try buying nuts with shells and whole fruits.

* Warning labels on pastas "made on surface which was used to make things with eggs" ? Its upto you - but there are companies that make pasta with no trace of egg-noodles - O-organic, local grocey store brands.

Good Luck. May KRshNa give the discriminative alertness, may Radhe make your food creatively pure-vegetarian and delicious for KrshNa.

_/\_

Radhe-Shyam

jignyAsu
13 February 2013, 08:55 AM
Hare KRshNa

Krishna.com (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/www.krishna.com)has covered this in amazing detail years ago, on this page:

Radhe-Shyam

Wonderful inputs!!! Thanks a lot for the info and the blessings. I am not able to reach those links, but will keep trying.

Lest that this thread becomes too negative..here's a positive one. As far as I have research Hershey's chocolate seems good. One can ofcourse never be 100% sure, but atleast they don't seem to be using animal fat for emulsifiers or rennets.

Hare Krishna!

smaranam
13 February 2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks a lot for the info and the blessings. I am not able to reach those links, but will keep trying.
Hare Krishna!
You are welcome. Please try the string "non-vegetarian in food Krishna.com" or "Hidden Animal Ingredients Krishna.com" in your search engine. Google brings it first or second in list for me.

Hare KRshNa

Sahasranama
13 February 2013, 09:22 AM
* Look out for vitamin D3 - comes from animals

If it says vegetarian formula or made from lanolin, it's made from sheep wool. The sheep is not killed to take the wool, sheep have to be shaved regularly. So technically it's vegetarian. D2 is made from plants, but is not as well absorbed as D3.

jignyAsu
13 February 2013, 09:34 AM
If it says vegetarian formula or made from lanolin, it's made from sheep wool. The sheep is not killed to take the wool, sheeps have to be shaved regularly. So technically it's vegetarian. D2 is made from plants, but is not as well absorbed as D3.

Welcome Sahasranama! Believe it or not, I was waiting for you..I saw some other gr8 replies by you in the Veggie forum and you seem experienced as well:)

Well, reg "sheep is not killed", lot of us vegetarians can live with that for now! Its upto the reader to choose to take it or not..and a great point to be introduced. What do you think about Vitamin D in milk and cereals? Do same points apply?

philosoraptor
13 February 2013, 10:34 AM
Wonderful inputs!!! Thanks a lot for the info and the blessings. I am not able to reach those links, but will keep trying.

Lest that this thread becomes too negative..here's a positive one. As far as I have research Hershey's chocolate seems good. One can ofcourse never be 100% sure, but atleast they don't seem to be using animal fat for emulsifiers or rennets.

Hare Krishna!

Yes, but isn't chocolate harvested through child labor in Africa?

Sahasranama
13 February 2013, 10:37 AM
Welcome Sahasranama! Believe it or not, I was waiting for you..I saw some other gr8 replies by you in the Veggie forum and you seem experienced as well:)

Well, reg "sheep is not killed", lot of us vegetarians can live with that for now! Its upto the reader to choose to take it or not..and a great point to be introduced. What do you think about Vitamin D in milk and cereals? Do same points apply?

It's probably okay, most likely it's plant based D2 or D3 from lanolin. In Europe food isn't fortified as much as in the USA, so this is not something I have to watch for.

jignyAsu
13 February 2013, 11:02 AM
Yes, but isn't chocolate harvested through child labor in Africa?

Yes I read that. I did hear this accusation against some chocolate factories. We can never be sure of anything we eat and at what cost it is produced. Hopefully these kinds of attrocities will come to light soon and stop.

We have no way of verifying the absolute goodness in every product we buy. A simple veggie that we buy may have been using some seeds, that could have ruined a farmer's life. Or an electronic..what exploitation it may be doing in India or China. I am just saying these crimes should be rounded up in some other ways and we have no way of saying: "This product we buy promotes absolute goodness forever and for everyone."

I am just establishing some facts on the ingredients and maybe different levels of possible diets for users to choose from. Don't we all need a point to start from? :)

You may ask: why eat chocolates at all? I may accept it...but this thread is for all vegetarians/Hindus and their kids. And stopping chocolates, pizza etc is not an acceptable choice for most. So, it is all about choosing the better good, based on your mindset.

But if you say: "Stop buying this particular product because they have been proven to ruin so many children's lives"..then that is a great point to post.

Sahasranama
13 February 2013, 03:13 PM
Well, reg "sheep is not killed", lot of us vegetarians can live with that for now!
BTW There are also vegan d3 supplements on the market.

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Gluten-Free-Vegan-D3-5000-IU-60-Veggie-Softgels/46316

Viraja
13 February 2013, 03:49 PM
Not intended to derail this topic, but I wish to ask, "How about the females' makeup - Lipstick and face lotion/compact, are they 'safe for vegetarian use'?"

jignyAsu
13 February 2013, 06:10 PM
As I am enjoying munching the delicious turbinado sugar from wholefoods that I got just now, I am wondering how much grateful I should towards the HDF members to make this happen.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/253642-the-nutritional-facts-of-turbinado-sugar/

It is apparently healthier, vegan and its only a negligible difference in taste..for me actually tastes better!

I think I must have been a real bonehead for getting white sugar till today;)

Not intended to derail this topic, but I wish to ask, "How about the females' makeup - Lipstick and face lotion/compact, are they 'safe for vegetarian use'?"

This one is an important subject on its own...about animal products in external use. Also very useful thing to know and we have a long way to go I guess. Maybe a different thread required?

Sahasranama
13 February 2013, 06:15 PM
You can also get coconut sugar.

smaranam
15 February 2013, 07:21 AM
praNAm

Not necessarily, unless consciously made that way. Very easy to find vegetarian chapsticks and winter lotions, some herbal products in regular stores, others in special stores. In India it is very easy to get ahimsa products since ayurved and ahimsa pervades the consciousness of the culture despite westernization and modernization.

Please see the following sites and the post and the whole thread that follows the list for ahimsa products - free of silk,leather,pearl, and animal products.

www.thekrishnastore.com (http://www.thekrishnastore.com/)
www.naturalnirvana.com (http://www.naturalnirvana.com/) (seems to have disappeared)
www.ahimsafootwear.com (http://www.ahimsafootwear.com/)
www.mooshoes.com (http://www.mooshoes.com/)

HDF Thread "silk"
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=73789&postcount=15

_/\_

Radhe Shyam

philosoraptor
15 February 2013, 11:28 AM
Many cosmetics are used first on animals before being sold to the public. Or at least, this was the case 10-20 years ago. You may find some products that are specifically "animal-friendly."

In the last few years, there have been an explosion of websites selling products geared towards vegetarians. Pangea.com is a great place to get non-leather or faux-leather products.

McKitty
16 February 2013, 11:08 AM
I am curious why you mention it though... don't raw milk cheese have animal rennet in them?

Vanakkam,

I'm sure about that, at last for traditionnal cheese. There are different types of cheeses here:

-Industrial cheese, like everywhere else
-"Traditionnal" cheese

There are hundreds of different types of "traditionnal cheese" (I can say each part of France have its own xD) and they are almost always made with raw milk in farms.

There is no animal rennet in them, and no need to: because mushrooms and various bacteria do the same thing in a complete natural way. That makes the "crust" part of the cheese, mushrooms and bacteria. In industrial cheeses it's not always made like this, for example sometimes it's made with some kind of plastic of industrial thing.

"natural" cheeses are little more expansive than industrial cheese, but not always. You can find small, mediums of big portions of all kind of raw milk cheeses at all prices. I love to buy goat cheese made like this ! I buy a big round for what, 1 or 2.5 euros ?

I know in the US (and in Europe too) this kind of raw milk cheese made with bacteria and mushrooms are frowned upon "for sanitary concerns". There are many trying to ban these cheeses but...Nobody in France wants that. It's been thousand years that thousand of cheeses are made like this, and there wasn't a giant plague or anything because of it. Plus, many bacterias from milk are really, really, really good for stomach health !
I don't understand why they want to ban them from cheeses, and beside they sell them as medecines in pharmacy ! XD

Well I understand a cheese made like this does not look sexy for someone that isn't used to it xD But I guess it's just an habit

Like it was suggested, just give a call at the companies, they will sure answer you :)

Aum Namah Shivaya

Gaurapriya
17 February 2013, 02:50 AM

Lipstick is a no-no, unless it is specifically vegetarian. Lipstick is made of fish scales!

I use lip gloss instead as an alternative out there.

I have to say though, many cosmetic products are tested on animals. :(

For foundation powder, I used to buy it from the shop. Nowadays, I just use cornstarch, and it does a wonderful job! :D

jignyAsu
19 February 2013, 01:06 PM
Breakfast time!

Here's a good list of Vegan Breakfast including cereals:

http://www.geari.org/vegan-products-conventional-grocery-stores.html
http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/breakfast.aspx

But there are more options for vegetarians.

Kashi seems to be a good brand for vegetarians...but since it uses honey it is not acceptable for vegans.

The following link contains replies from Kelloggs & POST...don't know how authentic it is. They say that they use vitamin D from sheep's hair.

http://www.mighty-flighty.com/2011/01/vitamin-d-sources-in-cereal/

Kellogg's mini wheats uses gelatin.

Eastern Mind
19 February 2013, 08:35 PM
Vannakkam: Just a couple of late additions ... regarding white sugar, you don't need any extra sugar at all. Fruits and vegetables provide all the sugar you need. People don't speak of sweet mangoes for some other reason.

Different countries have different labeling laws, so you need to be aware of that. Here in Canada cheese is safe if it has the word 'macrobial enzyme' as its of plant origin. It there's rennet, it has to be labelled. Most Canadian cheese is safe because the rennet supplier's long term contracts expired several years back.

Aum Namasivaya

Gaurapriya
20 February 2013, 07:18 PM
Vannakkam: Just a couple of late additions ... regarding white sugar, you don't need any extra sugar at all. Fruits and vegetables provide all the sugar you need. People don't speak of sweet mangoes for some other reason.

Different countries have different labeling laws, so you need to be aware of that. Here in Canada cheese is safe if it has the word 'macrobial enzyme' as its of plant origin. It there's rennet, it has to be labelled. Most Canadian cheese is safe because the rennet supplier's long term contracts expired several years back.

Aum Namasivaya

I suppose that's true. I should try making a pie without sugar... :p I do not think my household would like it very much, but it sure would be super healthy!

And thank you for the update on the cheeses. I always forget that the standards between places like the United States and Canada are different when it comes to food, food labelling, and food packaging.

jignyAsu
21 February 2013, 12:28 PM
Here's the reply I got from Hershey's

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company.

Our HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate does not have any ingredients from animals except for milk.

Have a sweet day,

& from POST cereals:

Thank you for contacting Post Foods in response to your inquiry regarding our cereals.

We are happy to inform you that the glycerin in the Post cereals are plant derived, however the type of Vitamin D that is used in most of our cereals is an animal derivative, as it comes from sheep lanolin. The other animal derivative in our cereals is the gelatin in our Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles Treats as it is pork-based and the whey in some products is derived from milk. All other ingredients in our cereal are plant-based.

However, we do have vegan cereals. They are: Original Shredded Wheat; Spoon-size Shredded Wheat; Shredded Wheat 'n Bran; (contains no gelatin or Vitamin D). They have no animal ingredients or derivatives. We have a complete listing of all of our products and ingredients on our website, www.postfoods.com (http://www.postfoods.com/).

We appreciate your inquiry, and hope you are able to purchase and enjoy Post products.

I didn't know about the possibility of glycerin in products coming from animals too!

jignyAsu
01 March 2013, 01:40 PM
Long time! Here's a site I came across: http://www.eatbibek.com/ - from Sikh friends.

Kirkland-costco milk apparently has Vitamin D from sheep's wool (So you are not eating meat but just munching on hair)

http://www.eatbibek.com/Kirkland_Signature_Milk
http://www.eatbibek.com/Milk

and some veggie cheese too.

http://www.veggieboards.com/t/101475/found-vegetarian-cheese-at-costco

I do intend to continue my research and transformation, even though I am slow.

jignyAsu
13 March 2013, 11:11 AM
I had a question on using a common microwave. Often a microwave used in the office etc, is the abode of all the smells in this world. That smell enters what comes into contact is observed.

Do people who aspire to be a pure vegetarian have any problems with this and if so any solution?

Viraja
14 March 2013, 07:44 AM
I had a question on using a common microwave. Often a microwave used in the office etc, is the abode of all the smells in this world. That smell enters what comes into contact is observed.

Do people who aspire to be a pure vegetarian have any problems with this and if so any solution?

That is a good question. I have a similar one - when we go to restaurants or even fast food chains as McDonalds/KFC/Chinese eateries at Mall food courts, I've noticed cooks using the same fry pan for making veggies with Chicken/meat as well as 'your order' - the one without meat. They just cook them side by side. How do people go about with this idea? Do you, as a vegetarian, eat in restaurants/fast-food chains, at all?

Eastern Mind
14 March 2013, 07:49 AM

Vannakkam: If we tried to avoid the smell of meat, we would have to stay home. Just walking through any grocery store of food mall will have it. I don't believe odors in the nose are harmful.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
14 March 2013, 07:58 AM
That is a good question. I have a similar one - when we go to restaurants or even fast food chains as McDonalds/KFC/Chinese eateries at Mall food courts, I've noticed cooks using the same fry pan for making veggies with Chicken/meat as well as 'your order' - the one without meat. They just cook them side by side. How do people go about with this idea? Do you, as a vegetarian, eat in restaurants/fast-food chains, at all?

Vannakkam: I have children who worked in the fast food industry, and its not safe at all. There is a ton of ignorance by the employees as to what entails true vegetarianism, and also a ton of cross-contamination, as you say. So there are a lot of concerns starting from what is used for frying. But many places use the same grill for grilled veggies as they do for meat.

The subtlety of cross contamination is more noticeable for people with full blown Celiac's (gluten allergy) because they will suffer symptoms from it. Whereas, we vegetarians won't have any noticeable symptoms if a few molecules of lard gets into us. My daughter (Celiac's example) can't eat our rice because in the manufacturing process, some container may have had a few grains of wheat in it.

Best to avoid fast-food restaurants anyway.

While traveling with my temple priest last summer, the rule was no restaurants that serve meat, and cross-contamination is why. But then many of us might take a slightly less 'extreme' stance and not worry much about it. If it's health you're concerned about, worry is worse than a few micrograms of meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Viraja
14 March 2013, 08:14 AM
If it's health you're concerned about, worry is worse than a few micrograms of meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Not concerned about the health really - but about the vegetarian part... Don't want to eat even minute amounts of meat with prayers being offered sincerely to 'sattwic' deities... I think I will restrict myself to just 'icecreams' and 'coffee' at restaurants henceforth. :)

jignyAsu
14 March 2013, 08:23 AM
Vannakkam: If we tried to avoid the smell of meat, we would have to stay home. Just walking through any grocery store of food mall will have it. I don't believe odors in the nose are harmful.

Aum Namasivaya

My problem is with the odor entering my food (not my nose), when I use a common microwave(where all the beings in this world are cooked). Odor seems to enter our clothes..so I thought it might enter the food also.

This morning suddenly an idea struck me on getting Thermos lunch box..that will keep my food warm till lunch time without needing a microwave.

Eastern Mind
14 March 2013, 08:43 AM
I think I will restrict myself to just 'icecreams' and 'coffee' at restaurants henceforth. :)

Vannakkam: Be careful with ice cream too. http://www.alternet.org/story/145144/ice_cream_has_meat_in_it_7_%27vegetarian%27_foods_that_actually_contain_meat_products

Aum Namasivaya

jignyAsu
14 March 2013, 08:49 AM

This is a good question also. Definetely we as Hindus that wish to progress by sticking to a sattvic diet note sooner or later that the food in restaurants are totally mixed. Same pan, oil, spoons, gloves, accidental mixing of chunks. Its a bigger problem in the west where even beef can easily find a way into your food.

As Eastern mind puts it, if you can, then eating at home is the best. This is practised by all the priests, dedicated devotees etc.

For others who don't think it "practical" to avoid all restaurants, I still think:

Eating @home(/temples/devotees' home) >> Eating @ Veggie restaurant >> Eating Veggie @ mixed restaurants >>> Eating non-veg (NO mother cow).

I think that with each step is a big progress. I eat only @home after offering my food to Hari.

One thing though. I feel strongly that food cooked in restaurants should NOT be offered to God.

Not concerned about the health really - but about the vegetarian part... Don't want to eat even minute amounts of meat with prayers being offered sincerely to 'sattwic' deities... I think I will restrict myself to just 'icecreams' and 'coffee' at restaurants henceforth. :)

Excellent!! Please remember many icecreams have eggs (its easy to find one that does not).

Viraja
15 March 2013, 07:23 AM
Thank you EMji and jignyAsu for your pointers, especially the one about icecreams. I shall have them in my mind.

jignyAsu
25 April 2013, 10:00 AM
I was reading recipes online to prepare Naan at home and many suggested using eggs to soften it. Then I suddenly got curious as to what the indian restaurant out there are using to soften.

A google searches yielded this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jainlist/message/8856 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jainlist/message/8856)
http://www.funonthenet.in/forums/index.php?topic=103781.0;wap2

Don't know it this is true for all restaurants. Its advisable to ask your fav restaurant's manager about it.

Viraja
30 May 2013, 07:34 AM
Today I came across this website, it has a very comprehensive list of hidden animal ingredients in apparently vegetarian foods:

revati9
27 June 2013, 09:40 PM
Namaste
Can anyone confirm that paneer is processed without rennet? It would make sense to me, as it is Indian in origin.

Also thank you everyone for a very helpful thread :)

Eastern Mind
28 June 2013, 01:59 PM
Namaste
Can anyone confirm that paneer is processed without rennet? It would make sense to me, as it is Indian in origin.

Also thank you everyone for a very helpful thread :)

Vannakkam: That's an absolute yes .. no rennet in paneer.

Aum Namasivaya

revati9
28 June 2013, 06:16 PM
That's an absolute yes .. no rennet in paneer.

Oh that is good :) thank you

Believer
02 July 2013, 11:57 AM
Namaste,

Earlier this year I came across Coconut Palm sugar but never followed up on its merits. I just did some research on it and here are some of the websites with more details:

http://summertomato.com/is-coconut-palm-sugar-a-healthy-sugar-substitute/
http://www.biona.co.uk/product-588-4.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=sweet+tree+coconut+palm+sugar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Pranam.

jignyAsu
23 September 2013, 09:17 AM
Namaste,

Wholefoods has some chocolates as a part of trail mix etc which are sweetened with "evaporated cane sugar" which seems Vegan:

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue4/2007_issue4_sugar.php
http://www.veganproducts.org/sugar.html

It does seem like a good alternative for chocolate lovers.

EDIT -> Wholefoods is a great store for vegetarian alternatives of many products. I hear that the Prenatal pills which is available with gelatin content in most stores, is gelatin free in wholefoods. Its a store to be checked out for options.