PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Perspective

yajvan
04 March 2007, 08:40 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

How does one look at the actions that happen in daily life? HOw to gain perspective and keep balance... Here's the wisdom of Sri Jnaneshvar:

In a forest, a monkey and a human being , scared of a lion which is chasing them, climb a tree and station themselves on the branches of the tree, safely away from the clutches of the lion. The lion keeps banging on the shadow of the monkey.
Every time the lion hits the monkey’s shadow, the monkey on the tree gives out a shriek, jumps from branch to branch and thus gets more and more excited. In its excitement, in due time, after its shadow has received a few beatings from the lion’s paw, the monkey falls from the tree and duly becomes an easy prey for the lion.

Now the lion starts beating the shadow of the man, but the man uses his discretion and is unperturbed by the lion’s beating of his shadow. Finally, the lion gets tired, goes its way and the man is saved. Now Jnaneshvar says, when experiences, good or bad happen to you, think that they are happening to your shadow; then you will not be affected either by happiness or by misery. The Lord behaves like that in every one of His actions and so He is not touched by them!

Creation is nothing but the imbalance in the guNas in the Cosmic Personality, caused by His mAyA. This first creation is the mahat principle. From this is created ahamkAra. From this the tanmAtras which cause the five elements, and the subtle seeds of jnAnendriyas and karmendriyas. The fourth stage of creation is the indriyas themselves. The fifth is the set of devatAs which are the substrata for the indriyas. The sixth is tamas or avidyA. All these six stages of creation constitute the prAkrta creation.

Taken from this site: http://www.geocities.com/profvk/VK2/SBAB3.html

pranams,

atanu
05 March 2007, 01:08 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

-----

Now the lion starts beating the shadow of the man, but the man uses his discretion and is unperturbed by the lion’s beating of his shadow. ----

Hari Om Yajvan Ji,

Nice story. Lion's beating of the shadow is bearable, but if the lion claws the flesh, then who feels the pain?

Most difficult, yet sages say most easy. I do not know yet?

Om Namah Shivayya

Ganeshprasad
05 March 2007, 10:33 AM
Pranam all

Is this not our sorry state, the fear haunts us like lion, the monkey like mind griped with fear always on edge, the budhi keeps the balance for a while but eventually succumbs to temptation, overcome by pangs of material life.

Padam padam vipadam

Jai Shree Krishna

Znanna
05 March 2007, 05:15 PM
Hari Om Yajvan Ji,

Nice story. Lion's beating of the shadow is bearable, but if the lion claws the flesh, then who feels the pain?

Most difficult, yet sages say most easy. I do not know yet?

Om Namah Shivayya

Perhaps another way to look at it, is does the monkey feel it if lion claws the shadow?

:P

ZN

atanu
05 March 2007, 08:01 PM
Perhaps another way to look at it, is does the monkey feel it if lion claws the shadow?

:P

ZN

Very difficult to know? Probably, initially monkey may be scared but later with knowledge, it (the monkey) will smile knowingly (just imagine a monkey smiling, he he).

But you are pointing to a deeper thing --- the pain to the flesh is real or not? I may be incorrect in assessment of your suggestion.

There is one story (true this time).

A fellow was trapped in a deep freezer at dusk. He was scared to death of coping with freezing temperatures and eventually began to shiver and later died. In the morning, co-workers found him dead and were surprised, since the freezer was not put on operation that night.

There are stories of Guru Ramana which also point to the role of thoughts in creating or dissolving a fearful situation. Other sadhakas who used to live in a cave with Ramana told this story. During 15 minutes of afternoon siesta, a snake used to crwal and sit on Ramana's chest. Seeing others it would go away. Other sadhakas asked Ramana as to how it felt. It seems that Ramana answered "Cool".

Story after story in the great itihasa, Yoga Vashista, clarifies that when the mind is in the present moment, there is no fear, no pain.

With 'I am the body' consciousness intact, it is impossible, perhaps? Till the full knowledge of Atma rises, it is impossible perhaps.

Om Namah Shivayya

yajvan
05 March 2007, 08:07 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Pranam all

Is this not our sorry state, the fear haunts us like lion, the monkey like mind griped with fear always on edge, the budhi keeps the balance for a while but eventually succumbs to temptation, overcome by pangs of material life. Padam padam vipadam Jai Shree Krishna

Namaste Ganeshprasad, the remover of obsticles as an offering to HIM.

Your view of this is of great import...the monkey as our thoughts hopping from branch to branch ( desire to desire)... and budhi as viveka, discrimination. Of what? Avidya and vidya. Satyam and a-satyam.

Your insights brings vipaka of wisdom ( ripening) to remove vimoha (error in thinking). Yet this sorry state is the path in Kali Yuga. And what perhaps may help us here? Nama-smarana (remembering of God's names); For this I look to Sri Ram. . As these vibrations are HIS name, yet invokes the support of the Universse for its help. Om Ram ramaya namaha , is more then meets the eye. More if there is interest

pranams,

Ganeshprasad
06 March 2007, 06:52 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Yet this sorry state is the path in Kali Yuga. And what perhaps may help us here? Nama-smarana (remembering of God's names);For this I look to Sri Ram. . As these vibrations are HIS name, yet invokes the support of the Universse for its help. Om Ram ramaya namaha , is more then meets the eye. More if there is interest

pranams,

Pranam yajvan

Could not agree more, for this age of kali Goswami tulsidas writes

The age of Kali is a store house of impurities and vices but it has many virtues too. Final emancipation is possible in the Kali age without any exertion. Moreover, the same goal which is reached through worship of God, performance of sacrifices or the practice of Yoga in the Satyayuga and in the Treta and Dwapara yuga, men are able to attain through the name of Sri Hari in the Kali age. No other age can compare with the Kali age provided a man has faith (in its virtue); for in this age one can easily cross the ocean of transmigration simply by singing Sri Ram's holy praises.

Glories of Nama –smarana is extolled by nardmuni.
Narshimehta became Ghelo (mad)
Mira became bavri

I have no real taste, but I feel for me there is no other way, but the chanting of holy names of the lord
So yes please lets hear more off the,Om Ram ramaya namaha.

Jai Shree Krishna