PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Janyananda Saraswati
20 February 2013, 12:18 PM
I am a new member and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a devotee of Shree Maa of Kamakhya and Swami Satyananda Saraswati of Devi Mandir in Napa, CA. I am also the General Secretary of a new spiritual organization, the Anahata Chakra Satsanga, which combines Indian spirituality and Western philosophy. I have been practicing Hinduism for several years in addition to my philosophical and natural health writing. I am a former Christian minister and am trained in philosophy and theology. I teach philosophy and religion at the University of South Carolina Aiken. I would be interested in hearing how other people balance career, family, and spirituality, especially how you make time for sadhana.

Eastern Mind
20 February 2013, 07:33 PM
Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums, JS. As per sadhana, it should be top priority, but not necessarily a long sadhana. You can also build it into the day, like chanting while driving, that sort of thin.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
20 February 2013, 10:09 PM
Namaste JS

Welcome to the HDF. I noticed you mentioned the Devi Mandir Napa and Shree Maa and Swami Satyananda Saraswati. I am one of those "temple crazy" people who likes to visit temples - all over the world if and when given a chance actually.

I have visited the Devi Mandir on several occasions as part of my love for visiting temples - actually I recall the first visit, the "Devi Temple" (now Mandir) wasn't located in Napa, but I recall driving up a steep road not far from Saint Mary's College in Moraga, and that was a long, long time ago. Later of course, the Mandir was then located in Martinez, and now it is in Napa. Me and my family have met both Shree Ma and Sw. Satyananda Saraswati on several occasions, and once when me and my wife visited the Devi Temple in Martinez we were the only ones there at the time and had a long, personal and enjoyable conversation with the Swami, along with some bhajans.

Anyway, you are located in the South, so do you travel to Napa to visit the temple? Have you ever been there? (I know you noted you are a member). The reason I ask is, being the temple hoping person that I am, I was thinking that I might visit the Napa Temple this Spring when the weather turns warmer, if you are a regular visitor you might see me, though if you live in the South probably not. Anyway, if I visit later this year, you will not be able to miss me since though I am a typical person for some reason I sort of stand out and get into conversations and such, especially in regards to Hinduism and India and such. If I am with my wife, she is from India, and she is very nice as well. Typically I wear mostly all black or mostly all white clothes and I have a watch on my right wrist (not the typical left), and I sing bhajans and such. Perhaps one day we will met during one of my "temple touring" adventures!

Om Namah Sivaya

Janyananda Saraswati
22 February 2013, 02:15 PM
Hi ShivaFan. Unfortunately, I am not able to get out to Napa at the present time, so I talk to Swamiji over email. When I have a question about a mantra or some aspect of practice, I ask him. I always find that I am more inspired after talking to him, even if it was just a simple matter. He always gets back to me in a very timely manner, which is one of the reasons why he is my guru. I had approached other teachers who didn't have the time or inclination to speak to me.

I hope you are able to have a good visit to the Mandir. I understand that it has moved a few times over the years. Please say hello to Maa and Swamiji for me. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the forums.

Namaste, Janyananda