PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

hanumanrij
20 February 2013, 04:54 PM
Hi, my name is hanumanrij (Reese is my given name) and I have come back to yoga after a long break from taking care of a very sick person and not much time or energy to do much of anything else. Besides, I wasn't in a very "yoga" kind of place.

It was a rough ride: that person is no longer here, and the end was not pretty. I was abandoned by the sick person shortly before he died; having had this person's best friend turn all our friends against me; with no one there including my family or religious community for moral support during the nine month ordeal.

I understand that being a Hindu involves more than doing yoga; however, my journey is a complicated one and one that will hopefully unfold here. It actually started in high school almost 30 years ago as a hare Krishna. [Yet after 7 years of yoga still hadn't made the connection, hrmmm.]

Anyway, a dear friend at school (I am a teacher), who happens to be a native Hindi, gifted me a lithograph Icon of Hanumanji recently and said "maybe this will help". I had no idea what she meant, so I researched the story of Hanuman and read, among many other things, how he becomes a recluse to save someone's [Sita's] life----exactly what I had done.

There are many other parallels in the literature, not just this one, between Hanuman's life and mine that I find fascinating (N*** the friend knows everything about me btw and is no stranger to the Hanuman legends; she is a very wise woman). I am just now beginning to wrap my mind and soul around the idea of avatars and relating personal life experiences to these allegories. I find it beautiful and fascinating.

I never turned my ajna toward these stories before because I was hung-up on my birthright religion, the one that I chose and whose people left me in time of need. (N*** did not. She kept in constant contact throughout the entire ordeal :o)

I have finally returned to my daily Ashtanga practice once again, more focused than ever.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience coming over to the "dharmic" side of this wonderful tradition, I'd like to know about it, please!

It's great to be here!
Looking forward to hearing from you :D

ShivaFan
23 February 2013, 07:12 PM
Namaste Hanumanrij

Welcome to the HDF.

While I cannot respond to your question in terms of those times in life that, while difficult, can lead towards your return to your Lord, your meditation, to Sanatana Dharma, since, oddly my life has been abscent of truly difficult emotional times.

Yet here I am a Hindu. I can see from what you have shared, you have been a Hindu for a long time in this life. What I can share with you, is my love for Lord Hanuman. He is my Ishta Lord.

I hope to see your participation, again welcome. It is amazing how so many things in life we can see and have communion with in the Devas and Devi, Their histories, and Their presence.

Hanuman is real.

Om Namah Sivaya

hanumanrij
23 February 2013, 08:28 PM
Śukriyā for the welcome, ShivaFan.

"...you have been a Hindu for a long time in this life..."

I will hold these words close to my heart tonight.

SHRI RAM JI KI JAI HO