PDA

View Full Version : Taking a break from posting ...

Webimpulse
20 February 2013, 09:31 PM
Namaste all,

As the title says, I'm going to be taking a break from posting in the HDF. It seems all I'm able to post are self-deprecating and depressing threads and posts as of late. Taking part in discussions here seems to be a chore and is more likely to upset me than be spiritually gratifying.

I'm not blaming anyone for this...if anything, I'm blaming myself for not being strong enough to tackle difficult subjects and be supportive to others, only being able to think of myself here. I'll probably resume posting once I get to a better place in life, but I figured that in my down period right now I shouldn't drag anyone with me.

Hopefully you folks understand. I can still talk over PMs if anyone wants.

charitra
20 February 2013, 10:10 PM
dont get used it though.

ShivaFan
20 February 2013, 10:46 PM
Namaste Webimpulse

I know it is sort of easy to want to get into "serious" posts on the HDF, and nothing wrong with that - but also you are right, a few of them can drain you a bit.

Then I think to myself, "hey! What am I doing right now in my daily life that is so fun and interesting and engaging? Well - I am reading a Hindu book or Sacred Text (right now, as usual I am reading Ramayana!). Or I am listening to bhajans, or looking at art works of the Devatas or meditation or ... going to temples ... or ... you get it. Just those "little" but actually "giant" things that make me want to say "Hinduism is GREAT!" out loud.

And then, instead of getting "too serious" (since to be frank, when I engage in all these wonderful activities it NEVER "feels" SERIOUS to me, like "oh, this is serious stuff buddy", no - instead I am having fun, joy, liberation etc..), I remember that what makes me "tick" like a clock are all those daily things that make me happy, which if you really think about it are simple things. So then, instead of looking at the HDF as a place to "get serious", I just want to do the same thing on the forum that I do in my life, which is perhaps just post something about the Devas or Devi, about a song, or perhaps a bhajan on YouTube, or pictures or art of Hinduism, perhaps a note about a temple or two, and even more interesting I find some fantastic TRIVIA (is that the word?) about Hinduism that really grabs my attention and search the forum to see if anyone else has info on it, or perhaps I may even start a new thread on the matter!

So I am thinking, you might enjoy doing the same from time to time on the HDF. I hope you get the rest if you need it, but I also hope you come and share things with others (even if it is "not serious"!).

Om Namah Sivaya

Ramakrishna
21 February 2013, 12:07 AM
Namaste Webimpulse,

Great idea. Take some time to self-reflect, do japa, and meditate on Bhagavan. When you feel ready and comfortable, come on back.

May Maha Ganapati guide you along your journey!

Jai Sri Ganesh!

Necromancer
21 February 2013, 03:07 PM
Namaste all,

As the title says, I'm going to be taking a break from posting in the HDF. It seems all I'm able to post are self-deprecating and depressing threads and posts as of late. Taking part in discussions here seems to be a chore and is more likely to upset me than be spiritually gratifying.

I'm not blaming anyone for this...if anything, I'm blaming myself for not being strong enough to tackle difficult subjects and be supportive to others, only being able to think of myself here. I'll probably resume posting once I get to a better place in life, but I figured that in my down period right now I shouldn't drag anyone with me.

Hopefully you folks understand. I can still talk over PMs if anyone wants.
Namaste, Webimpulse.

I shall be joining you, seeing as how every thread I make either gets locked or deleted and I am totally fed up with this. I honestly dislike the way this forum is administrated and appreciate my right to freedom of speech/expression.

I'd much prefer it if I was banned altogether over having everything I post get 'censored' (please consider that) so I am off for a while too.

Wishing you all the best of peace, love and happiness and good luck with this forum (it will be needed).

Yes, I am sure we will not be missed.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Aum Tat Sat.

Spirit Seeker
21 February 2013, 03:56 PM
Namaste, I hope you both reconsider how long you will be taking a 'break' for. You both have a lot to offer in insight and knowledge. Even though recent poster, Long time lurker.

You will both be missed. :(

satay
21 February 2013, 04:12 PM
namaste,
If sharing personal details is your agenda, please consider creating a personal blog on the net instead of posting details on HDF. I can help you setup personal blog sites elsewhere e.g. on word press or google, if you need help doing that.

That said, please have a nice break.

Necromancer
21 February 2013, 04:32 PM
Namaste.

Before I retire for a time, the question arises, what do you consider is 'personal information'?

The FAQ only states not to post your name, address or any personal or identifying information.

This, I did not do. I adhered to the whole 'anonymity' bit...all people know is that I live 'somewhere in Australia' and I have a daughter. That could apply to millions of people!

The spiritual experience is a 'personal experience' and it's a dichotomy anyway when one can't even discuss that ethically.

So, I would like clarification here. What did I do that broke your rules? I gave out no personal info so as to need 'protection'....I flamed nobody...

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Viraja
21 February 2013, 04:36 PM
Necromancer and Webimpulse,

While definitely you can take a break, please do not leave :) Your posts had been nice, different I can say, and something that gave a sense of 'home away from home' because I had a place to chat as if with a friend. I am sure many other members felt so too. Please do not have any hurt feelings, both of you made great posts, if you are looking for people who agree with your posts, one of them would be me :)

Webimpulse, have a wonderful break and be back soon. I am awaiting to hear about your feelings after you have read the entire Ramayana by Ramesh Menon. :)

Regards,

Viraja

Jeffery D. Long
21 February 2013, 09:21 PM
I struggle with the anonymity issue. I joined the group and began posting with my actual name, and even supplied links to a couple of articles I had written and a YouTube link to a talk that I gave in India in the thread where I formally introduced myself.

I did this because, as I said in one of my earliest postings, my life is an open book. I have always believed in transparency and open, honest communication.

I pretty quickly found, though, that my openness put me at somewhat of a disadvantage on HDF. Anonymity has both the positive and negative effect of freeing people to give full vent to their views and feelings. I find that people often post things that are much harsher than an actual, face-to-face communication would be, or than might occur if people were actually putting everything on the line and revealing their true identities. When people can hide behind pseudonyms, there are fewer chances of repercussions if someone does not like what one says, or if one is misunderstood (both of which are bound to happen in an online forum).

Anyway, Webimpulse and Necromancer, I appreciate both of your desires to step back a bit from what can be an emotionally exhausting process if one becomes too attached to it. Please don't leave. I have stepped back as well, though I never announced it in a posting. But this is a very valuable forum, and I continue to be impressed by the level of learning that many members display. My best to both of you, as always.

satay
21 February 2013, 10:57 PM
Namaste necro,

The issue here is that the types of posts in question (the ones i deleted) are not in alignment with the core intentions of this forum. It is not good for HDF that people post their personal problems here, about their health issues, financial issues etc. I am emphatic with members that have these issues (we all do have such issues, yes including me) yet it is not in alignment with what I want to see on the forum.

So while you may post stuff in the canteen section to 'shoot the breeze' with others, posting such things as how much rent one pays, what medical issues one has or even how many kids one has or does not have, their problems etc is all irrelevant and unnecessary information that I as the admin don't want to see on the forum.

Sorry it is hard to define and list every scenario in the rules. I do assume that people have common sense to not post personal info like that on a forum where focus of discussions is mainly religious and spiritual.

This is not a personal blog site for members to post their personal life stories.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Namaste.

Before I retire for a time, the question arises, what do you consider is 'personal information'?

The FAQ only states not to post your name, address or any personal or identifying information.

This, I did not do. I adhered to the whole 'anonymity' bit...all people know is that I live 'somewhere in Australia' and I have a daughter. That could apply to millions of people!

The spiritual experience is a 'personal experience' and it's a dichotomy anyway when one can't even discuss that ethically.

So, I would like clarification here. What did I do that broke your rules? I gave out no personal info so as to need 'protection'....I flamed nobody...

Aum Namah Shivaya.