PDA

View Full Version : Personal stuff

satay
21 February 2013, 02:56 PM
Admin Note
namaskar,

Just a gentle reminder for all members to keep personal details out of HDF posts.

Please do not share your personal circumstances, problems (family or financial), medical issues, or other such things on HDF. Do not seek and provide medical or relationship advice here. Remember that you are dealing with anonymous entities here so it is best to keep all that stuff out and focus on the core principles of HDF.

For a quick review of the forum rules and core principles check FAQ link.

Not sharing personal stuff is a good practice in general on the Internet so you may want to follow that rule in general when posting on the net.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Necromancer
21 February 2013, 03:52 PM
Namaste.

This forum requires a 'Terms of Service' that is prominently displayed and can be perused before one joins HDF.

Had there been a 'list of topics that are taboo' or what it is we are not allowed to discuss and that was displayed prominently, I may have had second thoughts about joining to start with.

Please consider this for all future applicants.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Spirit Seeker
21 February 2013, 03:53 PM
Okay noted.

satay
21 February 2013, 04:21 PM
namaste Necromancer,
Yes, the forum rules are all displayed now at the time of registration (might not have been when you registered) and the new applicant has to actually check a box saying that they have read and understood those rules.

That said, posting personal details on the net is not a safe practice. I speak from professional experience. It is in your own best interest not to do that. I realize it upsets people but I rather you be safe.

Namaste.

Please consider this for all future applicants.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Amrut
28 February 2013, 07:37 AM
I was not with HDF for sometime. When I logged in, I got a message which took me to a page and was asked if I accept new terms and conditions.

In the field of spirituality, it is always better to be open. it is said that one has to be naked in front of Guru i.e. not to hide anything and not to talk diplomatically.

But here none of us (as I know) are Gurus. Again, our and your (questioner's) intention might be pure, but the thing is that forums are very frequently updated. So they are quickly indexed by Google and rated very high for original content - important factors in SEO (but not the only ones :) ). So news posts may even appear in search query ( as google search results) withing few hours or in some cases after minutes of posting.

So your personal info is exposed to all kinds of people. Do you think everyone is good person? To be safe, it is always better to maintain privacy. That's why people often choose funky or different screen name / login name and do not give proper info. Same has to be applied to social networking sites like facebook. There was an article in local English news paper what one should not give give mobile number and correct postal address in facebook profile. So you can understand why experts advice us to maintain online privacy.

The thing is that you are exposed on global level. So better not give personal stuff (that you do not want to give).

I personally suggest that, if you trust a member, you can PM him your personal info. Even some mail services like rediff when they made unlimited storage, shared our mails and made them open to public. So the search results may contain info from your mail !!!.

I would not even give mobile no one IM (instant Messenger like yahoo messenger) ... err because, I do not have mobile phone ;) --- and I do not chat :p