PDA

View Full Version : Possible lost scriptures?

Viraja
25 February 2013, 11:10 AM
Namaste,

I am very interested in knowing if a scripture exists on how Brahma decides the destiny of each created being and supposedly writes it on his head. If there are scriptures that dictate the rules Brahma follows in creating humans, we can gain knowledge of the same. But it feels really hard to believe no such scripture exists.. So did such a scripture exist but got lost?

Thank you.

Hamzai
19 November 2013, 07:08 PM
I would actually be surprised if scriptures haven't been lost. But there are so many archaeological sites that have yet to be completely excavated, the language of Mohenjo Daro has yet to be deciphered, there has been some writing sound in Syria from the kingdom of Mittani that mentions Indra and other hindu Gods (This is actually the oldest example of the Indo-Aryan language found to date). So there is always a possibility that new knowledge/scriptures may be found.

Jaskaran Singh
20 November 2013, 03:23 PM
I would actually be surprised if scriptures haven't been lost. But there are so many archaeological sites that have yet to be completely excavated, the language of Mohenjo Daro has yet to be deciphered, there has been some writing sound in Syria from the kingdom of Mittani that mentions Indra and other hindu Gods (This is actually the oldest example of the Indo-Aryan language found to date). So there is always a possibility that new knowledge/scriptures may be found.
Wrong! The Hittite-mitanni treaty (mentioning Devarāja Indra, Aśvinau, etc.) was in Hurrian (not an Indo-Aryan language) and Kikkuli's horse-manual (composed around the same time, but actually in a form of Hittite similar to saṃskṛtābhāṣā) has less heterogloss[ic] archaisms the early Vedāḥ, as is evident in the use of the word "PI-I-NK-AR-UNUU," whereas the Veda-s use the word piṅgala and it's carried on even to later texts like the Vaikhānasagṛhyasūtram (note: the latter, piṅgala, is more similar to the proposed Proto-Indo-European root for light red, *pinH2geluos):
पिङ्गलया नाडिकयादित्यमण्डलमनुप्रविश्य तत्रस्थेन पुरुषेण संयुज्य ततश्चन्द्रमण्डलं तत्रस्थेन पुरुषेण ततो विद्युतं तत्रस्थेन पुरुषेण पुनः क्रमेण वैकुण्ठसायुज्यं यन्ति॥४॥
The Hittite-mitanni treaty has been carbon dated to around 1400 BC, around the time of "composition" of the latter Atharva-vedic hymns, and are not the oldest example of Indo-Aryan speech. In fact, ārṣabhāṣā is the oldest non-reconstructed Indo-Iranian and even Indo-European language, from a comparative-linguistic perspective (more than 20% closer to proto-Indo-European than are the Balto-Slavic languages like Lithuanian and Latvian and 12% closer to Proto-Indo-European than Anatolian languages like Palaic and Hittite, ref. William R. Schmalstieg). Regarding scriptures being lost from earth during the Kaliyuga, I thought it was common knowledge that many śākhā-s disappeared, as the Caraṇavyuha, Mahābhāṣyam, and Brahmāṇḍapurāṇam attest.

kallol
20 November 2013, 10:30 PM
Namaste

JS how are you sure about the dates for the vedas ?

If one looks at the recent archiological evidences, the knowledge might have been there long back even around 13000 BCE also.

kallol
20 November 2013, 10:35 PM
Namaste,

I am very interested in knowing if a scripture exists on how Brahma decides the destiny of each created being and supposedly writes it on his head. If there are scriptures that dictate the rules Brahma follows in creating humans, we can gain knowledge of the same. But it feels really hard to believe no such scripture exists.. So did such a scripture exist but got lost?

Thank you.

It will be quite difficult to imagine that someone is sitting up there judging the people and allocating them the right bodies.

It might be more automated based on the karmaphals accumulated.

ShivaFan
21 November 2013, 08:11 AM
Namaste Viraja

As you yourself have pointed out in the past, in general Vedas were once Veda (one) and then hymns and sacrifices, praises and cosmic revelations were not only taken from oral and "listened" (memorized) traditions to written script but divided into "multiple Vedas" (while at the sametime, certain verses can contain the entire essence of the Vedas in a single passage).

Also there are so many other scriptures that are not considered specifically one of the four renown Vedas, but also contain the essence of the Vedas. There are also more obscure scriptures, special purpose scripture, a vast library actually.

I my opinion, I suppose what you may think of as "lost scripture" is within the realm of possibility, even some hymns or revelations which into today are still only of the oral tradition or "listened" but not put to written script.

But I think it is just as likely if not more likely that some scriptures, Puranas, Ramayanas and Vedas and so on indeed have been spoken, sung, memorized and even in written script but are "unknown" - that is unknown to the vast souls of the world but known to a few select guardians, mystics, sects, rishis and so on.

For example, it is said there is a Ramayana spoken by Hanuman and recorded to script but only preview to certain advanced practitioners and not generally to the rest. I use this only as an example, and not a claim.

I would say, there is probably a sacred text or scripture that goes into great detail regarding your request. It may indeed be "lost", but perhaps only in the sense of not "revealed" to others except to those who have some purpose for knowing it.

There is much complexity in creation in terms of our limited vision. No doubt, creation can create more creation itself. I am not so sure only Brahma creates. In one way, Brahma Himself could be said to be recreated many times over in cycles in terms of His current form or personality.

In my own understandings, Brahma once had Five Heads. One was removed. Some say the Four remaining Heads each speak the Four Vedas.

Did the Fifth Head once speak another Veda "unknown"? Did that skull ever actually leave all worlds?

Or is that Fifth Head still somewhere? I think so. It may have fell, but it is probably still somewhere. I do not think it ever was reattached to Brahma's neck.

Om Namah Sivaya

Viraja
21 November 2013, 10:01 AM
It will be quite difficult to imagine that someone is sitting up there judging the people and allocating them the right bodies.

It might be more automated based on the karmaphals accumulated.

I agree. I have come to the realization (after reading some of Advaita, Vishistadvaita and so forth) that the soul, being all-illuminous and all-knowing (though not all-pervasive in the sense), is capable of registering each and every single 'moment' of the person's mind, intellect and ego while spending some time associated with that body and during this time, decides on the 'fate' of the body to come across in multiple future births.

But still it does interest me to know more about certain oral traditions which say that Shri Brahma creates or in other words, writes the destiny of the created being on his head, and there is a goddess who visits the child 10th day after it's birth to fix this writing (and so forth).

Viraja
21 November 2013, 10:10 AM
In my own understandings, Brahma once had Five Heads. One was removed. Some say the Four remaining Heads each speak the Four Vedas.

Did the Fifth Head once speak another Veda "unknown"? Did that skull ever actually leave all worlds?

Or is that Fifth Head still somewhere? I think so. It may have fell, but it is probably still somewhere. I do not think it ever was reattached to Brahma's neck.

Om Namah Sivaya

Interesting thoughts.

I agree very much that certain knowledge might be, out of intention of the divine, lost in the sense, made unavailable to the vast masses because it is meant to be known only by sages and seers of the world. It is said Shri Subrahmanya governs Brahma loka and that this is what is symbolic (of his duty in creation) by what is represented in Swamimalai, of him teaching Lord Shiva the pranava mantra.. I read long time ago about Murugan's vel being symbolic of the 7 chakras of the spiritual body and signifying the path through which the Kunadilini arises and thus of Murugan's role in Kundalini yoga and of the creation process.. Murugan, along with Brahma, seem to play an intricate role in the creation process and I have long since lost track of this article but am very interested to know it.

Alter ego
30 December 2013, 05:41 AM
Interesting thoughts.

I agree very much that certain knowledge might be, out of intention of the divine, lost in the sense, made unavailable to the vast masses because it is meant to be known only by sages and seers of the world. It is said Shri Subrahmanya governs Brahma loka and that this is what is symbolic (of his duty in creation) by what is represented in Swamimalai, of him teaching Lord Shiva the pranava mantra.. I read long time ago about Murugan's vel being symbolic of the 7 chakras of the spiritual body and signifying the path through which the Kunadilini arises and thus of Murugan's role in Kundalini yoga and of the creation process.. Murugan, along with Brahma, seem to play an intricate role in the creation process and I have long since lost track of this article but am very interested to know it.

Good to know

Alter ego
30 December 2013, 12:10 PM
Interesting thoughts.

beautiful , thank you !