PDA

View Full Version : Gods in their 'yogic' forms

Viraja
28 February 2013, 06:46 PM
Namaste,

In Vaishnavism, gods Narasimha, Anjaneya and Hayagriva are also worshipped in their yogic forms (seated with legs crossed and appearing to be in a meditative mode). I have read Jyotishi AMR give preference in worship for these deities in their yogic forms over regular forms, when advising on remedial measures. Does anybody know what is the difference in worship towards yogic forms and regular forms? Is the worship supposed to be stricter, supposed to yield enhanced or quicker results?

Thank you.

Yoga Hayagriva:http://www.dandavats.com/wp-content/uploads/SS-2010-02-17_16.02.12.jpg (http://www.dandavats.com/?p=8195)

Yoga Anjaneya: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7xKlv1G54JU/TmOxwisALsI/AAAAAAAAj3k/wIqZ63-wCTw/s640/Sri+Yoga+Anjaneyar+-+Senkadu+-+Thiruporur+-+Chennai.jpg (http://www.trinethram-divine.com/2011/09/yoga-anjaneyar_04.html)

Yoga Narasimhar:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NxMGa5K3eKs/RwtczlOR16I/AAAAAAAAACc/4GJJ8ZXSQes/s320/Yoga%2Bnarasimha.jpg (http://templetour.blogspot.com/2007/10/yoga-narasimhaswamy-vedasreni.html)

Anirudh
28 February 2013, 10:15 PM
Does anybody know what is the difference in worship towards yogic forms and regular forms? Is the worship supposed to be stricter, supposed to yield enhanced or quicker results?

Namaste Viraja ji,

I can not answer directly to your questions but sharing an information a devotee had told me sometime ago.

Couple of years ago, I was blessed to get invitation from my friend Shreeman Naaraayan to meet him every month. If you have climbed the seven hills through steps, you ll know that there is Nrsimha stambh immediately after the Lakshmi Nrsimhaswamy temple.

In one of my visits, I sat near the Nrsimhaswamy temple. A devotee from TN too sat next to me to take rest. We picked up a conversation and in the due course I asked him about the importance of that stambh (a pillar). I also told him that, I always get attracted to Ghor (dreadful postures) swaroop of Vishnu than Shanth swaroop.

He said the stambh is the symbol of yoga Nrsimha. Any deity in their yogic posture shower us peace and tranquility.

Also if you have observed, Harihara will also be seated in yogic form in his Sabari Mala abode. And just like the Nrsimha pic you have posted, both his legs will be tied with a cloth.

I narrated this big story only to make you visualize the discussion between me and that devotee. I didn't had the chance to meet him again during that trip. May be it was my friend's intention to share this piece of information to you...

May Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu guide you in your spiritual quest.

N.B : If you happen to visit India, and have not gone to Ahobilam yet add it to your itinerary. You ll get to know more about Yoga Nrsimha.

Sahasranama
01 March 2013, 01:10 AM
BKS Iyengar said in an interview that he was inspired by seeing Yoga Narasimha to start using props in his yoga. Yoga Narasimha has a belt around his legs sitting cross-legged.

Viraja
01 March 2013, 06:54 AM
Anirudh, Sahasranama, thank you for the replies.

Anirudh, oh yes, Ahobilam, I always dreamt of visiting that place... but even to this day, I hear that it is one of the most difficult places for a piligrimage, and that is even to a Indian devotee who is used to the weather, and some other discomforts like not being able to take your own car/van and having to wait for infrequent public transportation or having to totally walk the distance in places, etc. Imagine going there when you are accustomed to all the comforts for a very long period... I guess I will have to pray to yoga Narasimha to grant me with the wish to visit his temple. Especially I wish I can visit the 'ugra sthamba' in Ahobilam out of which the lord is said to have come out when Hiranyakashipu kicked the pillar. There are 8 or 9 Narasimhas at Ahobilam and I really wish I can visit all their shrines. I have always been curious about different postures of gods at different kshetras and the yogic form has always made me curious if they should bestow quicker results and stricter discipline and so forth...

Anirudh
01 March 2013, 10:04 AM
I guess I will have to pray to yoga Narasimha to grant me with the wish to visit his temple. Especially I wish I can visit the 'ugra sthamba' in Ahobilam out of which the lord is said to have come out when Hiranyakashipu kicked the pillar. There are 8 or 9 Narasimhas at Ahobilam and I really wish I can visit all their shrines.
மனமிருந்தால் மார்கமுண்டு

I have always been curious about different postures of gods at different kshetras and the yogic form has always made me curious if they should bestow quicker results and stricter discipline and so forth...
I don't know about quicker results, but my belief if we raise ourselves to the deserving state we will get the results. How quick we raise ourselves is purely in our control. Say I meditate for an hour every day and also read playboy for an hour, end up negating the fruits of meditation. My experience says if we are determined all obstacles give way.

Viraja
01 March 2013, 08:32 PM
I browsed around the net and also came upon 'Yoga Rama' in Padavedu. Taken from this site (http://wikimapia.org/7006301/Sri-Yoga-Ramachandra-Swamy-Temple), the following is stated of Yoga Rama:

This temple, constructed before 12th Century AD has Lord Rama in a uniquely seated yoga posture in Artha Padmasana with a “Chin Mudra”, Seetha Devi and Lakshman by his side and without his usual Kothandam. Unusually Lord Hanuman is seated in front of Lord Rama reading Palm leaf manuscripts. The combination of the clean and properly illuminated (without bright focus lights like an Exhibition as you see normally) sanctum sanctorum and the beautiful deities is really marvelous.

smaranam
02 March 2013, 03:18 AM
Does anybody know what is the difference in worship towards yogic forms and regular forms?

praNAm

I can only say that the significance of Shri BhgvAn in yogic posture is that He is setting an example for us to follow, just as a parent sets an example for the child. In fact, in Shri DwArakA, BhagvAn Shri KRshNa woke up at 4 am (bramha-muhUrta) and meditated on Himself to set an example for humans. He did a ton of other things just to set example like daily yadnya, puja.
In fact He says in the Bh. Gita - I don't have to do anything, but if I don't work, the world will follow Me and perish.

Lord as BadrinArAyaN in BadrinAth dhAm is also in yogic posture. The central main archa-vigraha in the main temple at BadrinAth is a svayambhu (self manifest) shAligram shila of chaturbhuj BadrinArAyaN sitting cross-legged, two arms holding shankha and chakra, and the other two clasped together on the lap. He is accompanied by His 'pancha-ratna' i.e. Uddhav, NArad, GaruD, Nar-NArAyaN Rshis. The ancient temple site was revived first by Adi Shankara, then Madhva, Ramanuj and Vallabhacharya also went there. Acharyas Madhva and Vallabha also met VyAsDev in His guhA.

On the left side in the temple premises, is Svayambhu MahAlakshmi, next to whom is the Lord's "SvarUp MUrti" - another vigraha of a pleasant smiling nArAyaN sitting in yogic posture. DhyAn-MAdhav ?
SvarUp-mUrti i was told.

BadrinAth is one of the chAr-dhAm (4 spiritual religious locations) and one of the 108 Divya-desham.

_/\_

Jai Jai Jai BadrivishAl !

Viraja
02 March 2013, 12:17 PM
Thank you Smaranam ji. Very nice to know about Sri Badrinarayana being a swayambhu murti and also a yoga murthi. :)