PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they follow Murthi Bheda?

kriyarameeshh
01 March 2013, 12:44 PM
Sri Matre Namaha.

It pains me when one doesn't follow the Murthi Bheda in worship.

Recently I visited one Maha Kali temple in Vijayawada, a City in south India.

The goddess is called Maha Kali, the idol is of Dakshina Kali but the face is painted yellow, the yantra installed is a Sri Chakra meru.

I admit the fact that all forms of God are manifestation of one Para Brahman, but when we worship one form of god, it is important that we stick to the agama sastra.

When they say Maha Kali temple, it must house the Maha Kali idol as per the Dhyana Sloka and not Dakshina Kali. It must also have the Maha Kali Yantra and not Sri Chakra.

This is not the only temple in South India with these differences, there are several other temples. When one wants to worship devi as Tripurasundari they better worship her form, but why should they mix everything and anything. Do they mean to say that Maha Kali has no indentity of her own?

Sri Matre Namaha.

MahaHrada
01 March 2013, 05:14 PM
Sri Matre Namaha.

It pains me when one doesn't follow the Murthi Bheda in worship.

Recently I visited one Maha Kali temple in Vijayawada, a City in south India.

The goddess is called Maha Kali, the idol is of Dakshina Kali but the face is painted yellow, the yantra installed is a Sri Chakra meru.

I admit the fact that all forms of God are manifestation of one Para Brahman, but when we worship one form of god, it is important that we stick to the agama sastra.

When they say Maha Kali temple, it must house the Maha Kali idol as per the Dhyana Sloka and not Dakshina Kali. It must also have the Maha Kali Yantra and not Sri Chakra.

This is not the only temple in South India with these differences, there are several other temples. When one wants to worship devi as Tripurasundari they better worship her form, but why should they mix everything and anything. Do they mean to say that Maha Kali has no indentity of her own?

Sri Matre Namaha.

Actually in Shri Kula tradition Kali can be worshipped via the Shri yantra, in that case the Avarana devatas are those of Kali. This is also done in some cases of emergency, when the Pratistha of Kali at that location is Maha ugra. Puja done via the shri Yantra can then pacify the bloodlust of Kali.

kriyarameeshh
03 March 2013, 02:09 PM
Sri Matre Namaha,

Dear Mahahrada,

thank you for your reply. I learnt from you that there indeed is a tradition of worship of Kali in a Sri Yantra.

I admit my ignorance.

Sri Matre Namaha