PDA

View Full Version : Meditative Instructions for Durga Devi

srivijaya
04 March 2013, 08:32 AM
What are the meditative instructions used by those who follow Devi? Is there anything particular or recommended?
By this I mean actual meditation rather than ceremony or such.
Namste

MahaHrada
04 March 2013, 10:18 AM
What are the meditative instructions used by those who follow Devi? Is there anything particular or recommended?
By this I mean actual meditation rather than ceremony or such.
Namste

Meditations in shakta traditions are mostly related to Shatchakrabheda, piercing of the six chakras, laya of the tattvas or sadadhvans or other types of Dissollutions (Laya) like Nada Anusandhana or Mantra Ucchara. Laya as such can be achieved by meditation, ceremonial or direct intervention of the Guru, or a combination of these methods.

Twilightdance
04 March 2013, 11:56 AM
Apart from these why should outer ceremonies not be mediation unless one is fixated on difference between outer and inner? What is done outwardly is just a projection of the inner. Shakta tantras are more outer in ritualism than budhist yoga tantras, doesnt mean understanding has to be like kriya tantra.

MahaHrada
04 March 2013, 12:25 PM
Apart from these why should outer ceremonies not be mediation unless one is fixated on difference between outer and inner? What is done outwardly is just a projection of the inner. Shakta tantras are more outer in ritualism than budhist yoga tantras, doesnt mean understanding has to be like kriya tantra.

The most important difference in my opinion is that meditation-yoga involves the concept that ultimately all activity/karma is or must be regulated or should cease or slow down as much as possible, (to escape samsara, you have to escape generating karma) upto the vital functions, i.e. slowing down and ceasing of breath and heartbeat, assuming breath control and asana i.e. rigid body,regulated breath and also there is a reduced activity of the mind.
So all karmendriyas are in the end brought to a stop in the classsical concept of meditation, in puja there is always activity that means karma. So in general in Shaktism because of the nature of the doctrine, there is very little Meditation, compared to strictly renunciate traditions.

Twilightdance
04 March 2013, 12:43 PM
The most important difference in my opinion is that meditation-yoga involves the concept that ultimately all activity/karma is or must be regulated or should cease or slow down as much as possible, (to escape samsara, you have to escape generating karma) upto the vital functions, i.e. slowing down and ceasing of breath and heartbeat, assuming breath control and asana i.e. rigid body,regulated breath and also there is a reduced activity of the mind.
So all karmendriyas are in the end brought to a stop in the classsical concept of meditation, in puja there is always activity that means karma. So in general in Shaktism because of the nature of the doctrine, there is very little Meditation, compared to strictly renunciate traditions.

Ofcourse the objective is different, i meant meditation in the sense that one is still focussing attention, and outer mandalas are projection of inner points. Shakta wants to experience the visarga or vimarsha which is activity, so cannot aim for laya and stillness as the ultimate goal and method.

MahaHrada
04 March 2013, 12:51 PM
Ofcourse the objective is different, i meant meditation in the sense that one is still focussing attention, and outer mandalas are projection of inner points. Shakta wants to experience the visarga or vimarsha which is activity, so cannot aim for laya and stillness as the ultimate goal and method.

Yes it is a matter of definition what meditation is, actually Meditation and how the word is used in the english language is way to generalising to be useful when talking about indian philosophy and practice. We donīt even have a sanskrit word with that meaning i guess, when we for instance talk about dhyana, of course, dhyana is a part of shakti puja also pranayama and even Laya yoga in the purification by the elements (bhutashuddi) and so on, one might even include samadhi state which would correspond to the Kamakala contemplation, that is included before the Visarjana in many shakti pujas.

srivijaya
04 March 2013, 03:23 PM
My thanks to MahaHrada & Twilightdance for this information and dialogue. It's given me something to investigate.
Namaste

JaiMaaDurga
04 March 2013, 03:51 PM
Namaste srivijaya,

As always, please remember that my words reflect only
my own experience, that of one devotee of Devi- and
are not authoritative, to be taken as free from error, or a
valid replacement for the guidance of a guru (or even a wise Shakta
who knows you personally)..

That being said, "those who follow Devi" does cover quite a lot
of ground- and the answer to your question could vary greatly,
depending on who was being asked.

The best and simplest answer I can give:
I have found reciting the Saptasloki Durga daily to be of immense benefit-
this does not require items, or a particular place, only my time
and full attention from the heart.

JAI MATA DI

srivijaya
05 March 2013, 08:23 AM
Namaste JaiMaaDurga
Thank you for your advice, I'll look this up online. That's also a wonderful signature you have there.

Arjunesh
05 March 2013, 09:41 AM
I checked the Saptasloki Durga first time in my life at youtube and was immediately fascinated.

Thank you very much
Arjunesh