PDA

View Full Version : Vana Durga and Bhramaramba devi

kriyarameeshh
06 March 2013, 12:49 PM
Sri Matre Namaha,

Yesterday I have visited Srisailam a Jyotirlinga and shaktipeetha.

This is my third visit but I was amazed by looking at the original form of Bramaramba this time. She has 8 hands, 7 holding weapons to strike and one holding the neck of a beast.

Sometime ago, I was searching for the Dhyana Sloka of Vana Durga, a form of Durga very famous in Mantra Sastra. So much so that it is said that Adi Sankarachaya had invoked this form of Durga to stall Saraswathi Devi.

Vana Durga is a very powerful goddess and as the name suggests, she is the goddess of forest with 8 hands, 7 holding weapons to strike and one holding a beast.

I will not post her Moola Mantra for the fear of it getting abused but will give a brief translation as under

" O Purushi,wake up from sleep, please dispel any fear whether it is about things possible or immpossible"

Now the goddess is referred to as PURUSHI, what does it mean?

One of the qualities for some one to be called as a PURUSHA is that he should be free from any fear. Now it is well known that parashakti is the PURURSHAKARA of a PURUSHA and hence the goddess is referred to as PURUSHI.

Very rarely do we finds temples of Vana Durga, but now after observing the deity Bramaramba which is so famous as shakti peetha, I've realized that she is none other than VanaDurga herself.

Oftened Bramaramba is identified with Mahalakshmi Swaroopa, but I can definitely say that she is more close to the Vana Durga Swaroopa.

Sri Matre Namaha

Viraja
06 March 2013, 05:48 PM
I have been to Kathiramangalam Vanadurga temple 20 yrs ago. Very impressive, large Durga surrounded by vast open space, as we went in the night time, it was quite scary too as it seemed like the temple was amidst nowhere - as aptly her name suggests, she was 'Vana Durga'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathiramangalam_Vana_Durga_Temple

Only thing I do not know about Vana Durga worship is how ferocious she is - once renowned spiritualist Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji exclaimed that for some ferocious deities, while meditating on them one should exactly remember which arm carries which weapon and if you by mistake visualize an arm in the left hand holding a weapon that supposedly belongs an arm in the right, you are doomed.

I hope that does not happen with Vanadurga - afterall, she has 8 arms!

kriyarameeshh
06 March 2013, 11:18 PM
Sri Matre Namaha,

All forms of Durga are ferocious except for a few like Vishnu Durga ( Closest to Mookambika of Kollur ).

However, Durga is not a Kritya like Pratyangira.

The question of getting doomed only arises when one is doing the mantra Japa with wants and desires like Shat Karmas. That is why, it is important not to start doing the Japa for a want initially. The objective for one to do Mantra Japa should only be to achieve Siddi.

It is good to start the Japa with focus on the vibration initially and gradually proceed to contemplating the form.

Sri Matre Namaha.

JaiMaaDurga
07 March 2013, 08:24 AM
Namaste kriyarameeshh and Viraja,

Many thanks for writing about Maa Vanadurga and Bhramaramba,
and also for the link and description of Kathiramangalam Vanadurga mandir-

Here (http://www.chakkulathukavutemple.org/chakkulathamma.php) Maa Vanadurga is the presiding deity, and the page tells interesting
history as well.

I uploaded also some pictures of Maa Vanadurga.

Jai Maa Vanadurga!

JAI MATA DI

drsan
12 October 2013, 04:58 AM
I have a few queries kindly clarify:

1. Is Vanadurga and Parasakthi same?

2. Is there any form of Vanadurga with four arms, if so what are the features, is there any specific name?

3. Where can I find more information regarding Vanadurga and Parasakthi forms?

Many thanks in advance

Sankar

kriyarameeshh
18 October 2013, 05:17 AM
Sri Matre Namaha,

Vana Durga is one of the many forms of Para Shakthi. She is a Mahavidya as well.

Satwika dhyana roopa of Vana Durga has 4 arms.

This Vidya is a lot popular in the South India. There is a Srividya upasaka by name Vadlamudi Venkateshwa Rao who has Vana Durga as his Ista Devi. You can search for his contact details on google. He is from Guntur.

Regards,
Rameeshh

Who am i
21 October 2013, 12:15 AM
Sri Matre Namaha,

It is good to start the Japa with focus on the vibration initially and gradually proceed to contemplating the form.

Sri Matre Namaha.

Hi Kriyarameeshh

I have a query on your Mantra Japa. What is focussing on Vibration?It will be good if you explain all the stages of Mantra Jaapa for amateurs like me.

kriyarameeshh
21 October 2013, 01:13 PM
Sri Matre Namaha,

Namaste Who am I,

do the mantra japa mentally i,e chant the mantra with in yourself and pay attention to the sound. Over a period of time, you would notice that an inner voice would do the japa along with you. This is when a sort of very suttle vibration or resonance can be felt with in and that will be really soothing.

Krishna Dwadasakshari, is a very good mantra which can take you to that stage very soon in as less as a few days.

If one has the ability to chant Dakshina Kali or Dhumavathi mantra, can reach this stage in the first sitting itself. But how far can we handle that resonance is the question. It could be overwelming at times.

I can't articulate my feelings/ideas that well, so can only write this much on this. Hope this makes sense to you.

Regards,
Rameeshh

Who am i
26 October 2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks Sir.I understood.One more query.If one attains mantra siddhi,will that devata speak to that person,give darshan and change his karma if requested.

kriyarameeshh
30 October 2013, 03:23 AM
Thanks Sir.I understood.One more query.If one attains mantra siddhi,will that devata speak to that person,give darshan and change his karma if requested.

Sri Matre Namaha,

I have not achieved mantra siddhi in any mantra, so I cannot comment on that.

Regards,
Rameeshh

drsan
19 December 2013, 07:28 AM
Dear Sirs

I am very keen to know in-depth about Vanadurga Devi and ways of worshiping. I would appreciate if you could please advice me which books or internet links that will help me find more information.

I understand that some temples of Vanadurga has the roof left open to sky. Please let us know the significance.

Many thanks
Sankar

JaiMaaDurga
23 December 2013, 12:07 AM
Namaste Sankar,

Perhaps the "Contact Us" page here (http://www.chakkulathukavutemple.org/) is worth investigating, for answers
about proper worship, etc. as Vanadurga Devi is the presiding deity.

I hope this is helpful.

JAI MATA DI

Ram11
26 March 2014, 04:14 AM
I heard that Sri Vijayawada Kanaka Durga Devi is a form of Vana Durga.Vijayawada is situated in the state of Andhra Pradesh,India.It is said that the Goddess appeared due to the tapas of a Yaksha named Indrakila and granted him permanent blessings.So he assumed the form of a mountain and Durga Devi established herself on the hill,so it is called as Indrakiladri,the mountain of Indrakila.

In some Puranas it is said that after slaying the demon Mahishasura the Goddess settled there and since then she is residing there.
Also,Lord Brahma is said to have perform a Yajna there and Sri Shiva manifested as Sri Malleshwara Swami Lingam.Arjuna is known to have performed penance here and obtained the Pashupatastra from God Shiva.

Sri AdiShankaracharya installed a Sri Chakra here and pacified and gave worship instructions.It is said to be one of the most powerful temples of the Goddess in India.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tTUlmzts224/TephB4_sbkI/AAAAAAAAEIM/osnY4bQargU/s1600/sri+mahisasuramardini+.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yunvkOhYMNE/Tb-DHP2nmSI/AAAAAAAAABw/t8MtFACtXrE/s1600/Chowdeswari1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OaFmocCdRoU/Uk-kkqYCrmI/AAAAAAAABtQ/Jrff13VfXS8/s1600/2009091958080201.jpg