PDA

View Full Version : Egg

Sachin95
09 March 2013, 12:05 PM
Namaste, I know there are a few threads already on here and I read through them but I still haven't found the answer I was looking for. I have recently been trying to give up meat but I was wondering if egg counts or not? I know in Hinduism vegetarian is key so I'm trying to be the best Hindu I can be. I understand that eating meat and going to the mandir is unacceptably but whats the opinion on egg products like a donut.

ShivaFan
11 March 2013, 01:14 AM
Namaste Sachin95

Many Hindus eat chicken, but many Hindus are vegan. No Hindu would eat cow which is an animal of renown, nor would any Hindu eat a pig which is dirty and you can die from eating it.

If you want to be a vegan, you cannot eat egg. I assume you mean the egg of a chicken. After all, there are people who would eat anything, such as the egg of a lizard or a snake or a turtle.

Think about a Golden Eagle. What beauty. And think of eating the mother eagle's egg. What does she think? "You have eaten my baby!".

There are monsters who eat aborted fetuses. I have read proof positive on this, regarding some very, very sick "rock stars" who have done so. So a fetus, or eating a fetus, is eating the baby of a human. All women, females, be a tiger or a Bengali Tiger with two legs and two eyes of coal and a frying pan, they all have an egg from which you come from. Even if you do not see the egg.

If you want to be vegan, then you cannot eat an egg. That is the same as eating a baby unborn chicken. Sometimes all of the universe is seen as an Egg, from which comes many things.

If you decide to take the vegan path, be watchful of the what the ingredients are for various things. You gave the example of a donut. But it is worse than that. There are donuts that have beef fat in them, Mother Cow.

Sometimes it is better to buy your food stocks raw and mix and cook your own food. Or better yet, marry a nice Hindu woman who knows how to cook.

Vegan = no egg

There are all sorts of Hindus. Some will not eat this, some will eat that - some told me they will not eat a certain rice (being it is like lingam). But vegan is vegan. There are all sorts of "non-Hindus". I had a shock in Thailand, when I observed Japanese men (young men in their 20's and 30's) drinking in little cups the blood of poor turtles. These were not Thais, but tourists, a turtle was pulled out of a bucket, then some cretin cuts the head off or slits the throat of the poor turtle with the turtle held from the back end hanging, and the blood then dripping into a little glass, and the Japanese men then "shoot it down" like liqour (how do you spell? I don't drink ... you know, like alcohol). Disgusting and so sad. I have no idea what they would do that. I think perhaps they think it will make them "manly" with women - insane.

Om Namah Sivaya

Eastern Mind
11 March 2013, 07:52 AM
Namaste, I know there are a few threads already on here and I read through them but I still haven't found the answer I was looking for. I have recently been trying to give up meat but I was wondering if egg counts or not? I know in Hinduism vegetarian is key so I'm trying to be the best Hindu I can be. I understand that eating meat and going to the mandir is unacceptably but whats the opinion on egg products like a donut.

Vannakkam: Egg isn't vegetarian, as ShivaFan pointed out. At the same time, its one of those hidden ingredients in a lot of things, like cake, pastries, pancakes, as you mentioned. Gelatin is another.

So once somebody decides to be vegetarian, they then usually continue on to decide how strict they want to be. Some might have a small slice of cake at a friend's birthday party, for example, or not take issue with gelatin caps in a prescribed medication. So that part depends on the individual.

Although many Hindus are vegan, I believe the vast majority are lacto-vegetarian, which allows for dairy products, like ghee, although vegan 'ghee' is available.

Good luck with the transition. I think you'll find it quite easy. That again is open for discussion, as some people use the 'give up one thing at a time' method over a year or so, while others go cold turkey. (pardon the pun)

Aum Namasivaya

jignyAsu
11 March 2013, 08:35 AM
Namaste Sachin.

Everybody is trying to give up some or the other habit for spiritual progress bit by bit. So we are all in the same boat :)

One thing with Hinduism is that we don't have to worry about the technical definition of each and every food at all. You must have heard about the classificaiton of food into Sattvik(promotes calmness), Rajasic(restlessness) and Tamasic (ignorance) in Hinduism. Egg is not considered Sattvik, while milk is. So we have no problem with questions like: "doesn't plant have life?" "isn't milk an animal product?" and so on. Sattvik food is promotes spirituality and in general more humane.

As ShivaFan puts it please spare the cow! Gelatin, Rennet etc in food is to be watched out for. Its very easy to do so.

Wish you all the best in your sadhana!

I had a shock in Thailand, when I observed Japanese men (young men in their 20's and 30's) drinking in little cups the blood of poor turtles. These were not Thais, but tourists, a turtle was pulled out of a bucket, then some cretin cuts the head off or slits the throat of the poor turtle with the turtle held from the back end hanging, and the blood then dripping into a little glass, and the Japanese men then "shoot it down" like liqour (how do you spell? I don't drink ... you know, like alcohol). Disgusting and so sad. I have no idea what they would do that. I think perhaps they think it will make them "manly" with women - insane.
Om Namah Sivaya

I heard that in Singapore are restaurants that serve live monkey's brain; This is debated but my friend says that he has seen one while working there.

Arjunesh
11 March 2013, 10:46 AM
It is not just important that someone takes care what he/she eats by ethical reason. It is definitely serious because of karma.

philosoraptor
11 March 2013, 12:46 PM

Yes, eggs are meat, and if you want to be vegetarian, you should give up eggs and egg-containing products.

orlando
11 March 2013, 12:51 PM
Namaste all.

I believe that all vaishnavas affiliated to one of the five main vaishnava sampradaya(I am a gaudiya-vaishnava) strictly avoid meat,fish and eggs.

As far as I know,several other hindus are lacto-vegetarian but hardly vegan.

Pranama,
Orlando.

Necromancer
11 March 2013, 08:23 PM
As stated above, it all depends.

It depends on which section/sect of Hinduism you belong to and also, how far you wish to go in your own spiritual or Yogic practices.

I eat white meat (chicken and fish) and I also eat eggs (which Swami Shivananda of Rishikesh fondly called "English Laddhus").

Hare Krishna devotees are all lacto-vegetarian and don't eat any meat (including eggs).

Most Hindus are lacto vegetarian, because Mother Cow is seen to provide not only for baby cows, but also for human beings. Still others believe that milk is for 'baby cows only'.

If one is performing yoga or strict discipline, foodstuffs like eggs and milk should be avoided. Eggs contain 'gross energy' which takes a long time for the body to digest and produces toxic by-products.

I am not really into all that anymore (I used to be), so I have relaxed my dietary restrictions, only fasting on Mondays.

Giving up all meat and eating eggs is better than eating meat, so it's an improvement, but eggs should be avoided anyway...especially the yellow part, because it's full of cholesterol.

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Believer
11 March 2013, 10:09 PM
Namaste Sachin 95,

After reading all the long winded posts about 'what I do' and about what 'different Hindus' do, focus on the shortest answer provided by 'philosoraptor'. Don't know why people bring their personal dietary habits or other BS into the conversation. The question is what is proper for spiritual advancement in Hinduism. Why not just stick to that instead of 'what I do' and what the 'rest of 1 billion Hindus' do. Is it really necessary to talk about monkey brains and swine rear ends?

Pranam.

Arjunesh
12 March 2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, eggs are meat, and if you want to be vegetarian, you should give up eggs and egg-containing products.#

Namaste!
In a discussion round of some well known representants of all big religions about vegetarism everybody agreed with the Dalai Lama when he said, that as meat should be designated everything what is able to move from one point to another on his own.

I can´t remember when it was, and I dont have a source of it, but I still remember the words.

kind regards
Arjunesh

ShivaFan
12 March 2013, 07:54 PM
#

Namaste!
In a discussion round of some well known representants of all big religions about vegetarism everybody agreed with the Dalai Lama when he said, that as meat should be designated everything what is able to move from one point to another on his own.

I can´t remember when it was, and I dont have a source of it, but I still remember the words.

kind regards
Arjunesh

Namaste Arjunesh

Thanks for sharing this definition. I am confused on a subtle point. An egg cannot move from one point to another on its own. So under this definition, it would not be meat. But it is meat.
Om Namah Sivaya

Eastern Mind
12 March 2013, 07:58 PM
Namaste Arjunesh

Thanks for sharing this definition. I am confused on a subtle point. An egg cannot move from one point to another on its own. So under this definition, it would not be meat. But it is meat.
Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: Even less subtle, dead animals can't move either, so they're not meat? :)

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
12 March 2013, 09:33 PM
Namaste,

Vannakkam: Even less subtle, dead animals can't move either, so they're not meat?
Agree, and moreover the Dalai Lama does not speak for me. So, he can say whatever he wants to impress his Hollywood fans.

Pranam.

Arjunesh
13 March 2013, 06:38 AM
Namste

If it is your opinion that egg is meat is just fair. But the dead animals were a joke of yours I hope.
And as I just told that, it doesn´t mean, that I stand for it.

Kind regards
Arjunesh

Eastern Mind
13 March 2013, 07:10 AM
Namste

If it is your opinion that egg is meat is just fair. But the dead animals were a joke of yours I hope.
And as I just told that, it doesn´t mean, that I stand for it.

Kind regards
Arjunesh

Vannakkam Arjunesh: Yes it was a joke, and yes you do hear these kinds of arguments on eggs brought up now and again in vegetarian discussion circles. So too with dairy, fish, (flowers of the sea?) wool, etc. But as you imply, in the end its up to you.

Aum Namasivaya

ahimsacalypso
14 March 2013, 01:30 PM
I love animals, and I love chickens - they make me laugh with the noises they make and their pottering about. And yet, in the few years I have spent thinking myself a vegetarian, I did not think to avoid egg in ingredients. :ill: Now I will :)

sva
24 March 2013, 12:30 PM
Many have defined life as 'that which has consciousness / feeling'. So by that definition eggs are not alive, however, the do have the 'potential' for life - at least the fertilized ones. So to me, the debate is also weather non - fertilized eggs contribute to hatya / himsa and are therefore non-veg.

shivrudraksha
04 July 2013, 02:02 AM
egg is not veg. PERIOD.

and do not confuse Hinduism with vegetarian food. Shirdi Sai Baba, Ramakrishna, Bamdev, etc, etc are the great yogis and saints of India and they happily ate non-veg. Lord Krishna was a non-vegetarian and so was Ram. they were kings and went for hunting. what do you think happened to the animals they killed??

so don't confuse food habits with religion. PERIOD.

eat what your body supports and can digest. laws of nature built the food chains and the food chains must exist to keep balance in nature.

ale84
01 September 2013, 11:49 AM
I think there's a misconception about eggs. For instance I've heard that in the ISKCON they consider eating eggs as cruelty to animals... maybe they think eating an egg means a chiken abortion, but this is not true, since the eggs whe buy for food are NOT FERTILIZED eggs.
So I think eating eggs is equivalent to eat milk products, since no animal death is involved in the process.

SeekingPeaceOfMind
10 September 2013, 07:26 AM
I agree with Ale84 here as I think there is a major misconception that an egg is akin to some sort of abortion, eggs are not fertilized they are a waste product which would end up rotting and in the bin if not eaten the same as any piece of fruit.

I learnt members of ISKCON have no problem eating honey however, what are other Hindus views? The reason I raise this for consideration is because taking honey is taking another living things food away from it, the honey bee keeps honey for food during the winter months when flowering plants are not in abundance. Generally speaking it is the excess honey which is taken, but it is still taken non the less. (This is applicable to colder climates such as in Europe, not too sure about other places.)

All this food for thought, mind the pun. ;)

Eastern Mind
10 September 2013, 09:40 AM
Vannakkam: The traditional Hindu view is that egg is definitely not vegetarian. Vegetarian means 'derived from plants'. However, if you want to eat egg, go ahead. Just know that it isn't traditional Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Viraja
10 September 2013, 10:13 AM
These days it has become very fashionable to argue against vegetarianism saying that it involves 'killing plants' and thus it is the same equivalent of killing animals alive. Even when I said that the plant does not get killed, the argument was that vegetarians are eating Potatoes and other root vegetables which 'kills' the plant! I do not know what to say for these types of arguments - how can eating vegetables be same as 'animal killing'?

At the other site, a post by me insisting on non-killing (ahimsa) through vegetarianism procured responses which included 'going overboard with self-righteouness and patting the back to the point of causing rotator-calf injury', 'preaching' and so forth!

When I said that one should only eat foot offered to god and that meant only vegetarian food, Kannappa Nayanar example was cited back to me to prove 'god accepts killed animals too'!!

When people decide certain things as eggs are vegetarian, no amount of convincing can be done to them.

Eastern Mind
10 September 2013, 10:18 AM
When people decide certain things as eggs are vegetarian, no amount of convincing can be done to them.

Vannakkam: So it's pretty much 'Why bother?" :)

I do bother pointing it out because maybe some other reader will come along and hear and actually believe what Hindus say about Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Viraja
10 September 2013, 10:36 AM
Vannakkam: So it's pretty much 'Why bother?" :)

Yes, I only figured it out after posting my message! I wouldn't bother going forth.

SeekingPeaceOfMind
10 September 2013, 12:06 PM
Vannakkam: The traditional Hindu view is that egg is definitely not vegetarian. Vegetarian means 'derived from plants'. However, if you want to eat egg, go ahead. Just know that it isn't traditional Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I think this could be an east meets west scenario, eggs are traditionally viewed as dairy and not a meat product, just as milk taken from a cow doesn't harm the cow, then taking an unfertilized egg from a hen also does the hen no harm. Most vegetarian foods in England contain egg also. I think the major argument which goes against eggs is that of 'factory farming' and 'battery chickens' which are often kept in stressful and generally horrid conditions.

To be honest, if it is a Hindu thing (and all the indicators are saying that yes it is) then perhaps I should consider it. Apparently it is due to the spiritual quality of the egg as opposed to the physical quality? The same way some view garlic or onions.

Hmm, we shall see, it is all a journey.

:)

Sudas Paijavana
10 September 2013, 01:22 PM

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam-s,

What about the Nambudiri Brahmins in South India that consume fish? I always thought that they are really traditional. I mean, they have kept alive yajnas 3000 - 4000 years old - that's pretty traditional, right?

Believer
10 September 2013, 01:29 PM
Namaste,

I learnt members of ISKCON have no problem eating honey ......The reason I raise this for consideration is because taking honey is taking another living things food away from it,
Little bit of research on the internet helps remove lot of mental cobwebs.

http://www.beeman.ca/id18.html

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
10 September 2013, 01:40 PM
Pranam-s,

What about the Nambudiri Brahmins in South India that consume fish? I always thought that they are really traditional. I mean, they have kept alive yajnas 3000 - 4000 years old - that's pretty traditional, right?

Vannakkam: Sure. I'm not here to argue. Perhaps I should have worded it 'most traditional Hindus'. I actually am quite ignorant about various communities, and what they're up to.

Aum Namasivaya

Sudas Paijavana
10 September 2013, 01:42 PM
Vannakkam: Sure. I'm not here to argue. Perhaps I should have worded it 'most traditional Hindus'. I actually am quite ignorant about various communities, and what they're up to.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam-s,

I wasn't arguing with you, EM. I don't think eggs are vegetarian at all. They surely do not come from plants - on this I think many of us agree. "Most traditional vegetarian Hindus" do not see eggs as veggie.

Avyaydya
11 September 2013, 07:37 AM
At the other site, a post by me insisting on non-killing (ahimsa) through vegetarianism procured responses which included 'going overboard with self-righteouness and patting the back to the point of causing rotator-calf injury', 'preaching' and so forth!

When I said that one should only eat foot offered to god and that meant only vegetarian food, Kannappa Nayanar example was cited back to me to prove 'god accepts killed animals too'!!
Namaste Viraja,

I think spiritual teachings are not meant to judge others and tell what they should do, but for our own personal development. We have a duty to help others, but not to tell them how to live. I think it is useful to discuss the benefits of a vegetarian diet, but it is up to people themselves if they feel like adopting that. In that respect it does not differ from things like meditating, or doing seva. For these things to have effect they must come from an inner need.

I think a good thing in Hinduism is that it acknowledges and respects differences in people. It does not impose a one-size-fits-all-moral on people like Abrahamism. In Abrahamism this creates this "save the world" mentality. This automatically goes with a moral superior position over others. In Dharmic religion the focus is rather on improving yourself. Loving people create a more loving world around them. This creates less conflicts.

A vegetarian diet attributes to spiritual growth, but the benefits are rather subtle. Without the proper awareness people will not notice them. I think for many people other changes in behaviour offer greater benefits and are easier to accomplish. For spiritual growth we have to do things in the right order. A good guru can tell what the next challenge for a person is.

I think the focus should rather be on making people aware of the well-being of animals. This is at the heart of the matter and something that concerns both meat eaters and vegetarians. This unites rather than divides people. If more people become aware of animal suffering inherent in meat eating, some will choose to become vegetarian. But that is secondary and trying to make a vegetarian diet morally obligatory will only backfire.

Ahimsa here can only flourish through awareness of animal suffering. For that people need to connect positively to animals first. They must first feel love for them, to care about their well-being. Westerners will not eat dogs, unthinkable! But they have less connection to other animals. In fact most people do not consciously connect the meat on their plate with an animal any more.

Which is not all bad. It is better than people still routinely killing animals themselves to prepare a meal. Most people could not do that any more. Though I have a lot of respect for cultures in which before eating the meat a prayer is said to bring peace the spirit of the animal. This kind of connection is often more deep than many vegetarians have. And such people are very concerned of the well-being of their animals they keep.

The spread of vegetarianism without the proper awareness may not help animals. In the selfish economical thinking that prevails now, we may kill the livestock and destroy even more nature because it no longer serves us economically.

We will not likely see the whole world become vegetarian in kali yuga, exept for selfish economical reasons. We can not take suffering out of this world. If we can improve our lives, maintain loving families and communities that uphold values that is great thing. And people should be allowed to grow naturally. If someone consciously abstains from meat one day a year or one day in a week, that is good for the person too.

I see vegetarianism rather as an effect than a cause. If so many people in India are vegetarians this can be seen as the fruits of long term civilisation that sets India apart. The path of Dharm is not to strive for the effects. To strive for the effects only creates superficial change, not real inner change. We should allow things to evolve naturally, only create the proper conditions.

Viraja
11 September 2013, 07:47 AM
Thank you, Avyaydya. :)

BetelNut
13 September 2013, 02:01 AM

It is probably redundant for me to give my opinion on the matter after all that's been said but,... I will do so anyway!

I think eggs are not sattvik in the traditional understanding of Sanathana Dharma. That is the point of view of a good number of the authorities I turn to, within the Vaishnava sampradayas.

As for practicing this rule of thumb MYSELF well, I must say that though I am vegetarian I still eat egg-containing products - mostly because I don't support myself as of yet and they are so damn ubiquitous. Excuses, excuses, I know. I'm sort of in the middle of the road when it comes to this sort of thing and honestly don't feel it is too big a spiritual hindrance, even though I consider myself a Vaishnava. A Vaishnava in-the-making perhaps. Anyhow, let me brood some more about this thing and beat myself up about it because we all know spiritually advanced people love to do that sort of thing! wink wink.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't worry very much about it. We all get there when we get there.

yajvan
13 September 2013, 07:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

FYI Only ( as you enter the flu season)

For those that did not know, flu shots are egg protein based medicines i.e. they're traditionally cultured in eggs. There are alternatives (recombinant vaccines) that one can choose that are non-egg based.

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/images/id/5490/health-vaccine-flu.jpg

iti śivaṁ

Viraja
15 September 2013, 07:57 AM
I came to hear about plant based eggs today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2416808/Artificial-egg-PLANTS-backed-Bill-Gates-set-revolutionize-cooking-goes-sale-Whole-Foods.html

Believer
15 September 2013, 03:08 PM
Namaste,

When an individual has not made sufficient progress on the spiritual path, or is not desirous of doing so, he would crave for the type of foods he/she knows to be non-sattvic. Under those conditions, why force oneself to give up certain things and look for artificially created versions of them? What purpose does it serve to switch from real eggs to 'manufactured' eggs? What difference does it serve to replace 'real' meat with some form of it artificially created from acceptable ingredients? If one's tongue desires certain tastes/textures/aromas, why torture oneself and eat something less than perfect? By all means enjoy the nature's bounty to the fullest. Only when the passion for the spiritual path ignites, will the tongue forgo of the undesirable tastes and the mind not crave for/dream about them. Till then, do yourself a favor and eat real eggs and real meat. By replacing JW Black Label with moonshine, one only fools oneself.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
15 September 2013, 05:29 PM
Vannakkam Believer et al: Egg replacer for baking has been around for awhile. It's not the egg taste that is desired but the cohesive effect for cakes and the like. Not that Hindus eat much cake, but here in the west, in the transition from one kind of cooking to another, for birthday parties, etc. egg replacer does come in handy for those eggless cake recipes.

As most people probably are aware, egg is a hidden ingredient in a lot of baked goods. It is the one time we tolerated it in the past ... Grandma would bake a cake ... and we ruled for family harmony over insulting. But now the Grandmas have moved on so this problem is no longer encountered.

Aum Namasivaya