PDA

View Full Version : Intuition ?

MysticalGypsi
08 March 2007, 03:44 PM
In Autobiography of a Yogi, they mention that Mahasaya mentions that he is drowning in bodies in Japan-as in, he is aware of a tragedy occuring in Japan.

What is the purpose from a spiritual perspective?

yudhamanyu
19 March 2007, 03:56 PM
Hi, Mystical Gypsi, please check my thread on 'The real cause of Islamic Terrorism' in Patanjali Raja Yoga forum, or in Hot Topics.

You can get a lot more information on this subject.

saidevo
19 March 2007, 09:44 PM
Namaste MG.

In Autobiography of a Yogi, they mention that Mahasaya mentions that he is drowning in bodies in Japan-as in, he is aware of a tragedy occuring in Japan.

What are you supposed to do if you have knowledge of things happening, premonitions that come true, but you really have no specific way of warning people? I was just curious. Why does this happen? What is the purpose from a spiritual perspective?

Lahiri Mahasaya's experience of drowning 'in bodies in Japan' is due to expansion of his consciousness to the cosmic level. In that state, he would be a part of the Cosmic Consciousness and thus 'suffer' the tragedy in Japan. I think that there is a subtlety here: the suffering might manifest physically on the body and mentally in the mind of the person having such expansion of consciousness. If it does and the person 'feels' for it, then he is still on the path to complete Self-Realization. A true jnAni would only have the feeling of compassion and pray to God for the betterment of the souls that are involved in such circumstances.

There are several cases of jnAnis such as Ramana Maharshi, Bhgavan Sathya Sai Baba, Shirdi Sai Baba, Ramakrishna Paramahansa and others who took diseases onto their bodies to remove the suffering of their devotees. Outwardly they endured the disease, but inwardly they were as dispassionate as ever.

There is a beautiful story in TiruviLaiyAdal PuraNam (the chronicles of Shiva's holy sports). Once the Vaigai river in Madurai, Tamilnadu was in floods. The Pandyan King ordered that one person from every home should come for work to raise a bund and contain the flood waters. There was this old woman who had no issues to send for work. She earned her living by selling hot puddings. Shiva appeared to her in person in the form of a macho youth and offered to do the work for her share. In turn, she was to give him some pudding. The old woman said that she could give only puddings that fell into chunks and not any whole puddings. Shiva agreed and went for work.

While all the labourers were busy scooping out earth to build the bund, the macho youth was just dillydallying. The soldiers reported it to the King. The Pandyan King came to the scene, chided the 'labourer' and since he did not mend his ways, whipped him once. The strike of the whip that fell on the youth was echoed in every particle of the whole universe and other inner worlds, and all the living beings (devas also), including the other labourers and the King himself received the lash! Only then the King realized that the one who has come to work was Lord Shiva Himself and fell at his feet. Later when Shiva asked the old woman for his 'wages' of pudding chunks, she found that every pudding she made had fallen into chunks!

This story is a metaphor of the modern Belle's Theorem. It also gives an insight into the nature of Cosmic Consciousness and divine sport.

Premonition, prevision and other siddhis come as side benefits to a seeker. He/she is expected to use them in a way that does not interfere with the karma of the target souls. Any efforts of interfering with karma without divine sanction (the Sadhaka will know if he/she has the sanction) could result in reduction in or loss of the power obtained.

atanu
19 March 2007, 11:22 PM
Very nice story!

So, the correct act is to simply pray for those it will affect? From what you are saying, the reason this happens to people is so the person can pray for those that it may be heading towards?

Namaste MG,

A nice subject indeed (for me).

Whereas intuition is somewhat positive, there is another type of effect. It is apprehension. I have suffered from it very long and I still suffer from it. Often before a major disaster strikes, I go into a depressive mood with unknown worries. Previously I failed to understand it. But now, though I understand, still it is more painful, since the exact knowledge is lacking.

Religious teaching, and specially of meditative techniques is to train the mind to remain unruffled, since nature/prakriti/daivam will do the job in best way possible. Secondly, one's particular desires play havoc. One who can truly surrender can remain peaceful.

Apprehension/intutuition happens since concsiousness is ONE, and when a mind is tuned at similar frequency one can either know or may get affected by the gunas. To dissociate from the mind as not I, is the key.

Om Namah Shivayya

sm78
20 March 2007, 12:29 AM
Very nice story!

So, the correct act is to simply pray for those it will affect? From what you are saying, the reason this happens to people is so the person can pray for those that it may be heading towards?

I hope one also knows what is the correct act when one attain such siddhis ~ but I think Shastras doesn't say jnana comes prior to siddhis.

saidevo
20 March 2007, 09:06 AM
Namaste MG,

Very nice story!

Here is another real life incident that might give more insight into the nature of siddhis and the action expected of the siddha:

Kanchi Paramacharya was once camping in the Chinna Kanchipuram. A family from Chennai came to Kanchipuram for having darshan of the sage. Leaving the jewels that were bought for a marriage in their family in the car, they entered the camp for the darshan. Immediately on sighting them, Sri PeriyavargaL ordered, "You have had enough of my darshan; start immediately (to get back to your place)." Puzzled, the family returned to their car and found that the jewels they had left in the car were stolen. They came back to Sri PeriyavargaL and apprised him the matter. Sri PeriyavargaL said, "The thief who stole the jewels will be in the nearby bus stand. Catch him there and get back your jewels." Accordingly, they rushed to the bus stand and caught hold of the thief. The jewels were restored. They came back to Sri PeriyavargaL again, told the news and took leave after paying their obeisance to him.

In a similar manner, once a devotee came from Chennai came to Chinna Kanchipuram MaTham to have darshan of Sri PeriyavargaL. As he saw him, Sri PeriyavargaL asked him to rush back to Chennai immediately. Later the news was received that the person died of a heart attack as he neared Chennai. Sri PeriyavargaL's jnAna dRSTi was everyone talk of wonder.

(Source: A Tamil book entitled 'Maha PeriyavaaL - Darshan Experiences', vol.1, pp 257-263 - translation by me)

Notice that in the first incident the sage restored the loss whereas in the second he did not. For more dramatic incidents of similar nature that depict the interplay of karma, human propensities and the sage's transcending vision and action, check these:

"A Double-Stringed Chain in Eight Sovereigns?"
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8770&postcount=9

"For this Sanyasi, perform Thirukalyanam for the Ninth time!"
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8753&postcount=8

Paramacharya Stuns a Landowner!
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8904&postcount=11

I hope one also knows what is the correct act when one attain such siddhis ~ but I think Shastras doesn't say jnana comes prior to siddhis.

I think a seeker who attains siddhi will have a keener intuition, though not the completely revealing jnana of a sage, though there is bound to be some dilemma for the right course of action for a certain prevision or premonition concerning others. This may be the reason why sages like Ramana Maharshi strongly advise a seeker to ignore the attraction of siddhis and look beyond them for actual Self-Realization.