PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Tumburu in Hindu Art

ShivaFan
15 March 2013, 03:20 AM
Namaste

I love the Histories of the Devas and Devi, which often are depicted in art as part of Hindu devotion. This often takes one into the world of Hinduism that involves many of the Divinity, inclusive of Gandharvas. Some who are not familiar with Him, may be interested in being introduced to Tumburu, who appears in some art depictions. Many know of Tumburu, but there are also others who see Tumburu in art but wonder who He is. There are many Histories involved with Tumburu, but here is some basic background.

Tumburu (Tumbaru, Tumbara) is known as the famous and renown Gandharva best known for His singing. He is often found at the residence of Lord Indra or Lord Kubera. Narada is also renown for his ability of singing and music, however Lord Vishnu once told Narada that Tumburu was the better of song than Narada. Upon which Narada was advised to seek the instruction of a sacred Owl named Ganabandhu to better learn music and contest Tumburu to song. But Narada in the end does not prove His case, to this day many consider Tumburu the best of song.

Tumburu has a manifestation in the form of a Horseheaded Divinity. He plays the vina in addition to beautiful song, often at the court of Kubera or Indra. It is believed that this Horsehead was given by Lord Shiva as a result of tapas performed by Tumburu.

At the time of the Rakshasa Empire of Ravana, Tumburu came to birth as a Rakshasa due to an offense against Kubera. Even though One is a renown singer, does not mean One makes mistakes in other matters. The name of the Rakshasa was Viradha, who attempted to attack Sita, but was defeated by Rama and Laxman. Viradha was to be buried alive since He would not leave His body after facing defeat from Rama, upon which He told Rama of His true identity and circumstances – upon which by grace He once again became Tumburu. And so this is why, in some art depictions of Ramayana, we see the divine Tumburu with Ram:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Rameshvaram_lingam.jpg/220px-Rameshvaram_lingam.jpg

Om Namah Sivaya

Equinox
15 March 2013, 07:26 AM
Vannakkam ShivaFan,

but there are also others who see Tumburu in art but wonder who He is.

Yes! That was definitely me. :D

I've often seen him in the background of paintings, but had no idea as to how I could get to know him better, or even his name. He is always present with many others for various ceremonies of the Gods (weddings, musical performances) held at the palace courts. There's a beautiful painting at the temple of Lord Shiva Nataraja with his consort Devi Sivakamasundari by his side, and various court musicians all around them, including Sage Narada. One of them was this Tumburu, but I had no idea of his name then. Now I know! :)

Thank you for unveiling Tumburu.

Aum Namah Shivaya